Did any of you need counselling or psychotherapy as a JW?

by TimothyT 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

I have just started my new course to be a qualified counsellor. Naturaly I am studying this because of my own background and now I want to help others who have had similar strains on their lives.

I know the pressure that the JW organisation puts on its members, so I was wondering, if you dont mind saying so of course, did any of you attend counselling sessions due to the pressures and problems that the JW life brought along?

I can imagine that the majority of my old congregation (myself, my dad and my brother included) would need some form of counselling or medication in order to remain sane. That seems such an odd thing though considering Jesus burden is so kindly and light wouldnt you say?

Timmy x

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I'm having my second set of counselling. My first set of sessions I had about 6 months after finding out the 'truth about the truth'.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Hardly any JW is going to go to counseling. Former JW's often will. I went long after I stopped going to meetings due to unaddressed issues from before I was a JW. JW issues have been huge in my sessions as my wife and mother are still JW and I have been adversely affected by JW's.

• N.drew
    N.drew

YUP

• 00DAD
    00DAD

OTWO: "Hardly any JW is going to go to counseling."

Of course I have no way of getting hard data on the exact numbers or percentages of JWs that go to counseling, but a psychologist that I saw that specializes in child estrangement issues following difficult divorces told me anecdotally that he has "lots of patients that are Jehovah's Witnesses." He also said that most of them expressed doubts about the religion but were afraid to speak up because of the consequences. Finally he said that most had a sense of shame about seeing a counselor and most tried to hide it from their family and friends.

• Nice_Dream
    Nice_Dream

Two counsellors recently told me they both have a few JW patients who are feeling trapped and want to leave the religion.

Now I need counselling to help me deal with learning 'the truth about the truth.' Sending you a PM Mickey Mouse

• discreetslave
    discreetslave

I went to therapy at bethel they have psychologists on staff. With him being a br. I was ok. The next time I tried therapy I was too worried that I would bring reproach on Jehovah & the organization if I spoke about all the things that caused me stress & anxiety. So I ended up quitting.

Now I want to go back to school & study psychology.

• Pink Floyd
    Pink Floyd

I just started therapy after learning the truth about the truth. The therapist told me she has treated "numerous ex JW's". Hope it will help.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Credit goes to OB1Slider

Even the Watchtower uses a psychotherapist

I am a provider for many Employers.Click here for a list. Scroll down to the organizations whose names start with W.

Barbara Abramowitz,LPC,LMFT,LCDC

SOLUTION-FOCUSED & EXPERIENCED TEXAS BOARD LICENSED THERAPY

Specializing in working creatively in my office with Individuals, Couples, Families, Children, Employee Assistance Programs, Management Teams, Churches, Schools and other organizations to provide resources which move people through impasses, crises and periods of transition. I work creatively to change the useless, conserve the valuable and help you to know the difference.

Telephone Therapy is available. Click here for more information.
    I am a provider for many Insurance Companies. Click here for a list.
    I am a provider for many Employers.Click here for a list.
    I am an EAP Professional for many EAP’s across the country. Click here for a list.

Barbara Abramowitz,LPC,LMFT,LCDC

• Psychotherapist for over 15 years healing the body, mind and Spirit
    • Fees range from $50-$150
    • Nature-based Psychotherapy
    • Mind, Body, Spirit Psychotherapy
    • Self- discovery Therapy
    • Couple, Marriage and / or Family Therapy
    • Alcohol and Drug Counseling
    • Solutions to conflicts regarding home, workplace or schools

http://www.ccrhouston.com/index.html

http://www.ccrhouston.com/employers.html

Atlantis

• Reality79
    Reality79

When I was first inactive, I had therapy mainly because of the things I suffered in the borg. Sadly, my therapist died a year ago so I'm not getting any at the moment.

Before therapy I used to be from the school of thought that I would never mention the fact I was a JW because I didn't want to make the borg "look bad".

Imagine......the GB doesn't give a shit about YOUR wellbeing as you're just religious canon fodder to them, but YOU, the one who really needs the help, will refrain from relaying information that will aid in your healing because you feel like you have to protect THEM and their reputation. Do you really see how this organisation has/had f*cked up our minds? SMH

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit