Did any of you need counselling or psychotherapy as a JW?

by TimothyT 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I originally went as part of grief therapy after the loss of my father. It then morphed into, get the hell out of this religion therapy. I was fortunate enough to have a therapist who dealt with this issue alot. Plenty of nutty cult like religions out there and people want out

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

oh and BTW, when I started attending, I was still semi active. I got a crapload of hell over it. Even though I made it clear it was grief therapy, Every JW was poo pooing it as putting myself under the control of someone who would speak unkind things about that religion. You'd think I went to a fortune teller. My response was this. "When I have an issue regarding the congregation I'll talk to an elder, if an issue is medical I'll see a doctor. People need to understand what they are experts in, and what they are not experts in." In other words, no elders is going to butt into my business regarding my health

• LV101
    LV101

I definitely NEEDED IT but didn't seek help and walked away. One of the happiest days in my life! Wish i would have gone to therapy. Things didn't make sense inside plus I was extremely miserable the entire time and it affected my health (like this is anything new for members!).

I'm sure they keep the mental health professionals busy but didn't realize so many witnesses had insurance.

• ziddina
    ziddina

YES, but the idiot elders sent me to some male JW who 'evidently' had some sort of 'diploma'...

I didn't get any REAL, PROFESSIONAL help until I'd exited the religion!!

Zid

• White Dove
    White Dove

I know I need it for XJW and PTSD reasons.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Yes I've had sessions with a psychologist and I highly recommend it for anyone leaving the Borg.

• talesin
    talesin

Yes, and moreso because of other abuse issues.

Exiting the b'org is an huge deal, and a little bit of therapy (or lots, depending on your needs) can do a world of good. Do NOT feel that asking for help makes you 'less than' .. it is a sign of strength, and a strong desire to heal.

tal

• MommieTiger
    MommieTiger

You may want to google 'Utube Jehovah's witnesses mental health'. There is a 59 minute interview with Dr Bergman about Witnesses. The clip is a little dated but enlightening.

• LV101
    LV101

how about a class action lawsuit to cover all the ex-witnesses mental health fees --- even go for fees to cover the ones locked inside. there has to be some hungry lawyers out there ready to have some fun.

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

Yes to the OP, and I highly recommend it.

CoC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit