What is BELIEF ?

by EdenOne 233 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Louise
    Louise

belief can mean a number of things: Belief in god is like having faith in god - can't see / feel it, but think / feel it is there.

Belief in oneself - to know that you are capable of doing something.

Belief that something can be done = confidence.

I do not believe in god as I do not feel that there is one, I have 't seen proof there-of.

I believe in myself, because I know myself, I am confident in what I can do and what I can accomplish.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    so what have we got from this thread
    Ruby, thanks for putting it in such a succint way.

Clearly neither of you understands each other, anyone else or yourself.

awww shucks! Thanks!!

It's like watching a toddler fall over.

get a room!!!!

Go away.

What is obtuse is insisting in trying to engage a non-theist with a question that should be directed at a theist. You won't get a reply from a non-theist. Why do you insist?

Uh, you started this thread. You realize you are calling yourself obtuse?

As I said, like watching a toddler stumble.

• cofty
    cofty
    What is obtuse is insisting in trying to engage a non-theist with a question that should be directed at a theist. - Eden1

Outlaw has repeating the mantra for 15 years that "nobody can prove god does not exist".

I asked him what HE means by god when he makes this assertion.

It is a perfectly reasonable question.

As soon as you define "god" we can show beyond all reasonable doubt that it does not exist.

He knows it is and will never answer it. He prefers to feel smug by hiding behind a vacuous platitude.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

But don't you see that such question can also be turned on you?

An atheist says: "I lack belief that god [or: deities] exist". Ok, so define "god". Or define a deity. Based on what knowledge are you going to assert your belief, or lack thereof, that they don't exist?

If you must define first what god is so that you can disprove it with contrary evidence, then your knowledge about said god must come from somewhere. Where is the evidence for said god? This is the logical (or illogical) loop.

Eden

• cofty
    cofty
    such question can also be turned on you?

No it can't.

Your inability to follow a logical sequence of thought is bizarre.

Atheists don't believe in the gods that have been invented, defined and worshipped by believers.

If you must define first what god is so that you can disprove it

No. Atheism is a reply to specific assertions made by theists.

Nobody has to disprove the sort of vacuous platitudes being proposed by you and Outlaw.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne
    Atheism is a reply to specific assertions made by theists.

If I would ask you:

"Do you believe in God?"

What would your answer be?

a) Yes

b) No

c) I don't know

d) What god exactly are you talking about?

Eden

• cofty
    cofty
    If I would ask you: "Do you believe in God?" What would your answer be? - Eden1

What do you mean by "god"?

• EdenOne
    EdenOne
    What do you mean by "god"?

Ok, I take it that your answer is d)

Then, I would reply, "uh, I don't know, any god one can think of, I suppose. Do you believe or not?"

Eden

• cofty
    cofty
    Then, I would reply, "uh, I don't know, any god one can think of, I suppose. Do you believe or not?" - Eden1

Then I would tell you to go away and stop wasting everybody's time until you can explain your own question.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Cofty, the stupidity of your position is becoming obvious. And stop talking on behalf of "everybody" when you only represent yourself. (Viviane dixit) Am I short-circuiting your system?

"ok, I mean, some sort of higher power that rules over the universe and the physical laws. Do you believe that or not?"

Eden

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit