Did you have any Elders CO's/DO's that were "Hung up" on certain things????

by karter 63 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

The white shirt issue must have been one in many congregations. I can remember on one occasion the CO was told to change into a white shirt. That is what probably prompted this in the WT.

*** w89 11/1 p. 30 Do You See Only the Outward Appearance? ***We can illustrate this in the matter of dress. The Bible requirement—God’s requirement—is that a Christian’s clothing must be neat and clean, well-arranged and not betraying a lack of “modesty and soundness of mind.” (1 Timothy 2:9; 3:2) Obviously, then, the elders in one congregation went “beyond the things that are written” a few years ago by requiring every public speaker in their congregation to wear a white shirt, even though pastel colors were generally acceptable in that country. Guest speakers who showed up with a colored shirt were asked to change into one of several white shirts kept in the Kingdom Hall for just such emergencies. How careful we have to be in order not to impose our personal taste on others! And how appropriate Paul’s counsel: “Let your reasonableness become known to all men”!—Philippians 4:5.

-----------------------------

This was evidently only applied in congregations. Ten years ago at the last DC I went to, one of the speakers cancelled out at the last minute due to illness. The DO selected an elder but demanded he go home and change into a white shirt. White shirts okay at the congregation level but not at assemblies or conventions. I wonder what scripture that is.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

w89 11/1 p. 30 the elders in one congregation went “beyond the things that are written”

Over the years, I wonder in how many of the other 100,000+ congregations the Elders have gone "beyond the things that are written" on far more harmful and serious matters where they have injured and abused individual members of the R & F!

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

It's interesting looking over these old posts. The list of petty rules and personal hangups is enormous! People who are still in or freshly out, are there any new examples you could add to this list?

• Gorb
    Gorb

20 years ago, a CO in our circuit had a car with motor problems and the circuit had to pay for it.

When he visit our congregation, he said "Why are so many against paying my repair costs? Do you want me on a donkey just like Jesus?".

The congregation just got more angry.

Gorby

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

White shirt crap. And they spout reasonableness.

OP subject; did you have any COs who did NOT have any hangups?

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

I knew one that made a big stink about me going to college.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

A CO making fun of Jesus with the donkey quip? Quite a risk; he must have felt very secure in his position to be so flippant and entitled. Still, I suppose insulting Jesus is way down on their list of offences. Question the GB, on the other hand...

Foolednomore: how did the fight over college pan out?

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

Notformer- My parents where cool. I went to college. Elder was POed.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

It seemed to me that the elders and COs in general ‘went beyond what was written’.

These men injected their personal opinions, preferences and biases into everything.. I would have to say that is what the Jehovah’s Witness religion is all about.. Never mind that you may not have been interested in anybody’s opinion about anything but they were determined to give it to you.. Maybe young single people got it the most?

The ‘hangups’ back when I was in? ‘Modesty’ in dress - where attractive/stylish women were hounded from time to time because ‘somebody’ (with an unattractive figure no doubt) had an issue about somebody’s appearance.

The other ‘hangup’ was them being busybodies about somebody’s secular work - trying to get gullible younger people to ‘pioneer’.. I was there and experienced it. Never mind that these older hypocrites collecting pensions weren’t supporting me or anybody!.. Nor would they be around when these other young people (being groomed for poverty) hit retirement age. We are seeing this today.

I am so grateful Now that I resisted all the foolish talk back in the religion when I was younger!

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    The ‘hangups’ back when I was in? ‘Modesty’ in dress - where attractive/stylish women were hounded from time to time because ‘somebody’ (with an unattractive figure no doubt) had an issueabout somebody’s appearance.

Oh yes, that sure takes me back !

Here in the land Downunder back in the1970’s and 1980’s we had a D.O. who had a ‘thing’ about the length of the sisters’ skirts. At circuit assembly rehearsals he would check the length of skirts by standing below the stage level and if he could see up a skirt, then the embarrassed wearer (sister) would be told to dress in something more appropriate.

I’m sure those of us from the land Downunder would remember him and if I said the initials NB you’d remember him without me spelling out his name.

In ‘real life’ the whole family had some hangups.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit