Did you have any Elders CO's/DO's that were "Hung up" on certain things????

by karter 63 Replies latest jw friends

• cult classic
    cult classic

One CO was strangely obsessed about women wearing ankle bracelets. He said "just like a bracelet draws attention to the wrist, ankle bracelets are to draw attention to the....ah yes friends, the ankles...." Weirdo.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

When I was a teenager,music was a hot topic. One elder made up his own list of approved musical groups and the groups that were a no-no. He passed this around to the body of elders. My friend saw the list and The Beatles were on the do not listen list. Of course,it shows how way out of date he was,we're talking the 80's,and he is still stuck on the Beatles.

I loved how they always mentioned songs in the 50's and 60's at the Assemblies in the 80's and 90's,so funny.

But,elders being obsessed with women's pantyhose or footwear is just wrong,makes me think they had some sort of fetish there. Or at the very least,a bunch of control freaks,adding unscriptural rules.

• Judicial Committee
    Judicial Committee

“Did you have any Elders CO's/DO's that were "Hung up" on certain things????”

Most certainly I did, especially just before I told them the teachings were full of crap. They told me as a body they desired to speak with me about new feelings concerning the organization, I told them the feelings were not really new in fact anyone with half a brain could see if they were honest with them self’s that they are who god would want to use; and at that I abruptly told them to pound sand.

• Judicial Committee
    Judicial Committee

I meant to say they are not the one’s god would use to do his good bidding.

• Judicial Committee
    Judicial Committee

We had one CO come through and complain about 1) opened toed sandals without nylons (!!!!!) and 2) denim skirts. He even complained about the pioneers using their bikes in field service.”

At the hall I went to for a while in Hurricane Utah there was this old gray haired chubby buzzard looking circuit overseerer pointedly complain about tattoos, my wife had a couple of them, I was setting in the back and I raised my hand and flipped him the Bird.

• erbie
    erbie

We had an elder who was obsessed with the length of sisters skirts and their low-cut tops. It used to make me chuckle the way the sisters got round it by wearing long skirts with splits that were practically as long as the skirt itself.

Most of us came to the correct conclusion that this brother was sexually frustrated and didn't like to be reminded of it.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Had a C.O. recently whose pet peeve were boobs. At each visit he always had a need to reminds the sisters about wearing clothing that was revealing in that sort of way. Many wondered if maybe he just didn't get a large charge on talking about breasts from the platform. He often came across as a pervert.

I sort of felt sorry for the sisters and for his Mrs.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

There was an elder in a congregation I attended years back. Same thing, boob fetish. He would go on about how women in Pagen religions practiced sex worship, violently shaking their breasts. He would go on about the "violence" over and over. It became a joke after a while. Anytime we thught something was to revealing or alluring, we would refer to excessive violence.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

When I lived in the south, all the elders had an issue with beards on the platform... any kind was completely unacceptable. If you wanted a beard, fine - but it was microphone duty for the rest of your life. A mustache was OK, but it was viewed in much the same way as marijuana is in relation toward other drugs (a "gateway" drug). A mustache was a "gateway" facial hair sin, but not enough to viewed as putting the person into an all out spirtual darkness.

One CO had a little issue with people saying "Jeez louise"... not sure why. "Jeez" was OK, but tack "louise" on it, and suddenly it became vugar to him.

MeanMrMustard

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

1. When I was studying the elder visiting me used to go on and on about how God was going to use antimatter to clean up the world after Armageddon.

2. There was an old dude in one congregation who, when giving the Godly View of Sex and Marriage talk, said it was a good idea not to have chocolates or spices, or worcestershire sauce, before bed. "It will irritate the body openings and you will want to comfort yourself." He said brothers should sleep with their arms and hands out of the blankets so they didn't comfort themselves.

3.Elders in one congregation became obsessed about guys' haircuts in the 1990s that had what they called the "DH" look. DH stood for dickhead: it was that style of the time when the hair would be thick on top, but kind of short and shaved halfway down. It was supposedly a gay thing, meant to mimic the look of an erect penis. The elders would look for any guy who had a "definite line" in their hair, so they couldn't do magazines or microphones. "Sorry brother, that's what we call a DH haircut. You'll have to go back and get it trimmed. Get rid of the definite line."

4. In congregations in the South Island of New Zealand a circuit overseer introduced the idea of The Stone. (Maybe Sizemik can correct me here. It may have been a District Overseer). Each group doing territory would pick up a small stone and the pair of JWs seeting off at the head of the pack would leave it on the letterbox of the home as they went inside. The theory was that the pair following them would see the stone, realise someone was at that house (though they'd probably see them at the front door anyway!), pick up the stone and leave it on the next letterbox when they went down the driveway. The idea was that it avoided accidentally calling on a house minutes after someone else had done it, and if in the unlikely event that a couple would get invited inside, the others would keep moving to the next door. (Though it was far preferable that if we lost a couple because they'd been invited inside, we'd just stand around on the footpath talking until they reappeared. It was a great way to use up your time!)

The problem was, sometimes you'd miss the stone and go halfway up the street, then realise it and have to backtrack. Idiot Witnesses would be peering into people's letterboxes or newspaper delivery tube to see if they could find it. And other idiots, as they left a house, would stop at the letterbox and start rummaging around and trying to work out if the stone was still there. Householders woud stand there and watch the JWs fiddling round with their letterbox and wonder if they were trying to pinch their mail.

JWs being the institutionalised idiots they were, they insisted you HAD to have the stone when you were witnessing, even when it was obvious where people were. In their minds, the CO had once suggested it as an idea, particularly when you were doing rural territory where there were long, long driveways, but because the CO had suggested it, it was a rule.

But my wife and I hated the stone. We thought it was a dumb idea. So we'd just ignore it and go on to the next house. You'd work out who the front pair were, then overtake them and do the next house. And next thing you'd have these idiot JWs coming up behind you bellowing, "Where's the STONE? What have you done with the STONE? We're using the STONE today, brother!" And they'd get grumpy and go back down the street looking in all the letterboxes for the goddamn stone.

What a bunch of fruitcakes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit