I told the baptist church pastor that I'm gay!

by TimothyT 90 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cantleave
    cantleave

Welcome brother to the Church of JWD (Sorry JWN - noo light and all that!) I baptise you in the name of Simon, Lady lee and and mad laughing dog.

Please attend regularly to ensure constant spiritual enlightenment.

• nugget
    nugget

Timothy it is important that if you are seeking a spiritual dimension to your life you set the boundaries early on. Whilst some may question you choice of any religion if you have decided this is something you want then it is appropriate that you make sure that they will accept you fully into their congregation. Your sexuality is a key part of what makes you you and hiding that so as not to offend others is not the way to go.

If the baptist pastor struggles to accept you as you are then look around for somewhere that will. There are many homosexuals who have found a place to express their christian worship without denying who they are. Sexuality is moot after all heterosexuals do not hold orgies in the aisles so why should homosexuals. You should feel welcomed and comfortable in the place you choose to worship, after all it is supposed to be about you and your relationship with god.

• DarioKehl
    DarioKehl

Tim,

I respect your decisions but I really don't understand why you would have chosen the baptists! They are among the strictest Christian sects. Methodists are generally very forgiving but for an openly gay person, you may find the unitarian/universalist group the most suitable. Of course, my 2 cents would be to snuggle up with your BF and read Richard Dawkins The God Delusion together. Free yourselves from the inappropriate guilt! The churches are just going to keep piling it on! "GET OUT OF HER!" Good luck...

• cantleave
    cantleave

Great advice DarioKehl

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

The bible mythos clearly states from the very first book that God finds you are not worthy and sets you up for destruction. Any religion based on the bible will thus embrace this idea at some level. No matter which church you go to, they all believe the same thing and even if they SAY they don't, they would if they feel God told them to interpret it literally at some point in time.

Science states the facts and the facts show that homosexuality is not only not confined to our time but not to our species either. Any animosity in society towards you is brought on by religion.

As far as my view on organized religion: Fool me once, fool me twice...

• nateb
    nateb

Could it be that you're seeking approval of your true self in a church, Timothy? It seems from reading your posts that you really want to hang on to religion. You don't need an invisible person to approve of you. Love yourself and seek out those that love you. Once you've accomplished that your need for a religious authority to accept you will wane and eventually fade. If it's a need to express gratitude that attracts you to religion consider that there's a more secular way of doing that as well. Non-believers are able to give thanks in person to those that touch them positively. They don't waste time or emotional energy giving their thanks to something that doesn't hear them. Sorry if any of this seems insensitive but just trying to keep it real.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

In the UK the Baptists are pretty liberal. The difference between 'mainstream' and 'JW' is that the mainstream don't all obey every utterance coming forth from the GB.

You'll find if the Pastor is a bit homophobic that it's just his personal feelings. Generally I've found they teach that it's YOUR relationship with God that counts NOT slavish obedience to men. Hence 'Christian Freedom' and agreeing to disagree.

Don't sweat it Tim! The aminstream (at least in the UK), aren't hung up on obeying 7 paedophile protecting hate mongers in Brooklyn.

Let me know how it goes.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

First, it might be wise to just study the Bible independently or in small groups. So what if you are gay--I might add that Jesus himself didn't bash gay people (that was Paul, not Jesus, that came up with that).

I might recommend reading the Bible itself, together with your partner (and whatever small study group you see fit to), and use whatever translation you see fit. As it is a Bible discussion, using the Bible and just the Bible is very appropriate. You will be working without any religion biasing your research, and are more likely to find the truth that way than with the "help(??)" of some religion. You do this as you see fit. And while you're at it, I would look for some of those hidden Gospels of Jesus that never made the original Bible. Try to stay focused on what Jesus said, not what some ancient Jehovah said or what Paul said. That way, you are far less likely to feel adversely judged simply because you are gay (or whatever else the Christian churches are against).

If you are turned off by the kind of god Jehovah really is (and, if you are genuinely independent, that is a real possibility), there are other sources of guidance for you. You could do research on several of these--Aristotle, Socrates, Ayn Rand, and Mark Hamilton are some I recommend to start. You may have another favorite. Remember, it doesn't have to be God this and God that, or Jesus this and Jesus that. Jesus did a good work--which was unfortunately corrupted by Paul and the early Catholic church. But he wasn't the only one--you do well to search around.

• discreetslave
    discreetslave

Jesus preached the church of spirit & truth, there what counts is Jesus & God's Grace for those who choose Christianity. Just go for fellowship if you can't find one that will accept you and you have a need to attend somewhere. Despite what the pastor thinks individuals in the congregations may see things differently.

You've just exited a spiritually abusive religion so your wounds may make you more sensitive so take your time. Honestly focusing on yourself , your education & on Jack are your priorities. Since you seek spirituality focus on your personal relationship with God the church is secondary to that.

• Quendi
    Quendi

There have been many interesting thoughts presented on this topic, so I'll venture one as a gay man. I don't agree with those who say that seeking out a welcoming church is a waste of time or that a church is completely unnecessary for anybody. That is a "one size fits all approach" which fails to recognize individual needs. I think TimothyT is right to seek a spiritual community that will openly and warmly welcome him and his partner.

That is what I did. After deciding to break ties with the WTS for good and all in June 2010, I looked at how I wanted to live my life. I read and studied the Bible on my own as well as in collaboration with others. I enjoyed that, but I also wanted to fill the void that opened when I turned away from the organization. After all, the WTS had been an integral part of my life for more than thirty-five years, so dropping it opened a chasm that I had not anticipated. After rejoicing in my new freedom, I gradually discerned that I still wanted to be part of a spiritual community.

I live in metropolitan Denver and had no idea where to find a church that would welcome GLBT people. So I turned to Google and looked for gay churches in Colorado. That is how I found the Metropolitan Community Church of the Rockies, a church that is welcoming and open to all, but especially to GLBT people. I started attending services there in early September and have not regretted the decision. What I found most pleasing was not only being welcomed and wanted as a gay man--something I never experienced in any Kingdom Hall--but the fact that this church emphasized love of God and following Jesus Christ. That was something I wanted and needed to have in my own life.

The services and sermons don't mention sexual orientation. There is no political agenda that is pushed such as insisting on gay rights. Instead, the openly gay pastor gives messages that show how the Bible is still relevant to our lives in the twenty-first century, and how we can practice real Christianity. I haven't faced unwanted pressure to join the church, nor have I been told that there are certain beliefs I must have or activities I must take part in. A number of straight couples regularly attend as well, and it is clear that they feel right at home. Many children also attend with their straight and gay parents.

As others have already shared, I recommend this course to anyone who wants to explore and deepen his spirituality. It is very important to find a community that will welcome him or her without preconditions. Thanks to the Internet, the search for such a community is now much easier than it used to be. Many have availed themselves in this way and have been more than satisfied with the results. I know I am.

Quendi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit