I told the baptist church pastor that I'm gay!

by TimothyT 90 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

@PSacramento, that first paragraph was meant for you, the rest for TimothyT.

What I was trying to say is that Jesus himself said that he was not going to change the law as it was written. The law against homosexuality thus stands in Christianity (and that's what Paul wrote as well) ergo why try to attain to a teaching you know by your own person cannot be true of a loving God. I hate the apologetics that you can't take the bible literal or you have to interpret it differently. As the Bible shows: ALL scriptures are inspired (by an all-knowing, loving God) ergo ALL scriptures must be true, loving and up-to-date. If it's just a book of stories, why base your life around mythological figures, you might as well believe in an Invisible Pink Unicorn or a Flying Spaghetti Monster, Zeus, Brahma, ...

The Asian and other (newer and older) religions don't have anything against homosexuals, only the Abrahamic religions do.

The comment about Lot was my interpretation of how the story got there. You've got a dude living in a city known for it's gay people (all gay people got lovingly destroyed by God), he doesn't want to leave, he is forced to leave, his wife was never there or mysteriously disappears (the salt pillar comes as the story gets re-told and kids ask "what about his wife") he screws his daughters and is very upset about it (and from the scriptures and history it seems screwing kids for survival back then was common as the Mosaic Law talks about it). Make him a homosexual and see whether or not this story fits better with the facts of not having a wife and living in a city full of gay people.

Sorry if I offend anyone using the word gay. I'm not against any lifestyle, I always felt I could not be against it even when I was a good dub.

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Tim, thank you for you kind answer, it was very coherent and I can now understand you better.

Quendi-I'm really glad you had a mentor to talk to, that must have been very comforting and reassuring for you.

irondork-there was no disrespect meant when I asked Tim that question, I was truly trying to understand where he was coming from. I'm sorry I offended you or anyone else. My apologies to all who's feelings I may have hurt.

CJ

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    @PSacramento, that first paragraph was meant for you, the rest for TimothyT.

Ah, understood.

What I was trying to say is that Jesus himself said that he was not going to change the law as it was written. The law against homosexuality thus stands in Christianity (and that's what Paul wrote as well) ergo why try to attain to a teaching you know by your own person cannot be true of a loving God. I hate the apologetics that you can't take the bible literal or you have to interpret it differently. As the Bible shows: ALL scriptures are inspired (by an all-knowing, loving God) ergo ALL scriptures must be true, loving and up-to-date. If it's just a book of stories, why base your life around mythological figures, you might as well believe in an Invisible Pink Unicorn or a Flying Spaghetti Monster, Zeus, Brahma, ...

I don't think you need to take this to the "bible is inerrant" stage, the bible clearly states that homosexuality is viewed as a sin ( granted that the homosexulaityin question is related to pagan sexual religious rites typiclaly).

Yet we are suppose to interpret the Laws incontext with our times, Jesus certainly did ( granted as son of god he had more then the right to change them if he wanted to-as he did with the issue of foods) and so did Peter and Paul in regards to the gentiles.

Not saying that is the case with homosexuality, just saying that it wouldn't be without precedent.

The Asian and other (newer and older) religions don't have anything against homosexuals, only the Abrahamic religions do.

That really isn't an issue.

The comment about Lot was my interpretation of how the story got there. You've got a dude living in a city known for it's gay people (all gay people got lovingly destroyed by God), he doesn't want to leave, he is forced to leave, his wife was never there or mysteriously disappears (the salt pillar comes as the story gets re-told and kids ask "what about his wife") he screws his daughters and is very upset about it (and from the scriptures and history it seems screwing kids for survival back then was common as the Mosaic Law talks about it). Make him a homosexual and see whether or not this story fits better with the facts of not having a wife and living in a city full of gay people.

I think you may need to re-read that story.

Homosexuality is ONE of many sins that the people of Soddom are guilty AND un-repentive of.

His daughters get him drunk and "rape" him basically, a far cry from "screwing his daughters".

Getting that Lot was a homosexual from the fact that he lived in a city with very lose ( if any) sexual morals is like saying that if you live in Vegas or San Fran you are gay or if you attend a Gay pride parade, you are gay.

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

Haha... well reasoned PSacramento! :)

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I am not a bible "inerrant", simply because most people think that means the bible is without error and equate that with "unchanging" and I disagree.

I belive that the bible in its WHOLE shows us a progressive revelation of God, cumulating in His Son, the TRUE revelation of God in the flesh.

In other words, if the OT writers had gotten it 100%, there would have been no need for Christ to set "the record straight".

How does this apply to homosexuality?

Judge not lest Ye be judged.

Let he without sin cast the first stone.

There is only on judge and one saviour and I KNOW that it isn't ME or anyone else here !

;)

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

My question would be, why did you even mention it to the Pastor? I think it may be a lingering trait from being a witness, seeking approval for your lifestyle.

If it was important to you, you could have asked the Pastor what the church's stance on homosexuality is since that was the whole intent of the conversation I think. As I read your post, it almost seemed like you were asking for permission to join the church as a gay man.

I might be out in left field here, but I think you need to put less emphasis on being a "gay person" and focus on being a "person that is gay". You come first, meet and get to know people as a person, not a sexual orrientation.

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey

Perusing this thread has been very upbuilding. I am glad you started it Timmy.

I agree that one shouldn't have to mention it to the Pastor. I disagree with certain things that Pastor believes and that is okay. I have one Leader. Yet, there may be a reason that Timmy wanted to talk about it, so he needs to decide at this point how best to handle things.

Love to all,

SOG

• tec
    tec
    What I was trying to say is that Jesus himself said that he was not going to change the law as it was written.

He said he wasn't going to change the law (until all had been accomplished). Not the law as it is written... since the 'lying pen of the scribes' (Jeremiah 8:8) have handled the law falsely.

Just wanted to point that out.

ALL scriptures are inspired (by an all-knowing, loving God) ergo ALL scriptures must be true, loving and up-to-date.

But not everything written is scripture. Even so, men can alter scripture as they pass it on... see Jeremiah 8:8, and the warning at the end of revelations. If it wasn't possible, then why the warning?

As for Sodom - according to the story, the outcry of people against Sodom reached God. The people in Sodom were abusing, hurting, etc... and that was why God acted.

As for homose xuality:

Have you ever hurt someone deeply, or failed to help someone in need? If you have then you know the tremendous feeling of remorse that comes with that, as well as the harm done to another person. Christ and God care about that. They care about mercy. Forgiveness. Love. You think of the pain that we can and do inflict upon one another (or conversely, the love and forgiveness and mercy that we can show one another also), and the issue of sexuality becomes pretty small - if it even e xists at all .

Peace,

Tammy

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

Thanks for all the comments everyone! I still havnt made up my mind if i want to go and speak to the pastor yet! I dont feel i need to at all!

If i dont, i will try another church and the first question i will ask will be about sexuality! I would want to nip it in the bud straight away and know if i will be accepted or if there will be issues later on.

Some nice comments here and im very interested in what the bible says on sexuality. It has occured to me that God is not partial and i believe this also includes issues such as homosexuality. I remember one sister say to me that its similar to an illness which makes you do things you wouldnt normaly want to do and Jehovah understands it. Although i dont like it being compared to an illness i see what she says when Jehovah wouldnt reject me just as much as he wouldnt reject someone with an illness which permanantly affects their lives for example.

I take comfort in the fact that God reads hearts and knows who i am, what im thinking, and what i desire, even when little humans struggle so much with this. Thanks to those of you who have helped and understood me here. I appreciate your thoughts! :)

Timmy xxx

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Tim,

It is conceivable that homosexuality is soemthing that one is born with and if that is the case it MAY be viewed as a "birth defect" in the sense that it is not the way humans procreate.

I don't know if I would view it as such but I am sure that SOME would.

If it is a "genetic defect" then of course that would explain alot and God would most certainly KNOW that is the case.

I am not comfortable using such terms because of the negative connotations they have, but realise that in science those terms just explain and don't judge.

People MAY be born gay and I personally think that may be the case.

That you know that God reads out hearts and that is what he Judges, that is what you need to focus on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit