Things that made you cringe at "the meetings"

by i_drank_the_wine 47 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

I would cringe whenever someone gave an answer about being loving, that was a gossip, liar, spread information to sabotage someone's character. Or the elder that would talk about pioneering, going out evenings, or Sunday after the meeting; who never did.

• blondie
    blondie

Towards the end when a song came up I didn't like, I would head for the restroom, shut off the sound, and "go" and came out after the "prayer."

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Broken Promises

What I have the problem with is like I stated in my post she was unmarried and not baptized, how many unmarried and and unbaptized sisters had baby showers thrown for them, I think they were either Da'd or Df'd.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

I think it was the hypocrisy of it all. For instance, the brother who screamed at me red-faced and threatened to beat me with the belt when I slept over his house (I was fiends with his daughter) was giving a comment the following Sunday about being mild-tempered and displaying self-control. Things like that. Or the ones who would give the "look after orphans and widows" talks, and specifically talk about those who were SPIRITUAL orphans and widows...but my family knew from experience that they were the most guilty of ignoring them.

I despised the talks about Armageddon and how all the "wicked" (ie. non-JW's) would be destroyed. That always made me feel uncomforatable, especially thinking about all the babies that "god" would kill.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

People beating their kids outside the meeting for just being kids, not being bad. It used to really piss me off.

I knew a lady who used to take her 1 year old to a bedroom during a home bookstudy and beat the crap out of her for squirming and cooing. Her young son she would twist his ear around if he couldn't sit still. I was a teenager at the time and it used to upset me so bad I would start crying. I never understood why they didn't stop to think that certain behaviors of babies & young children are part of the different growing phases and should not have been punished.

When my kids were really little and would start squirming or cooing I used to pick them up and stand at the back of the hall and rock them and just gently say shhhh. Kids aren't stupid and they don't need to be beat for just being human.

Since I was reinstated at the time and didn't have a husband attending meetings with me, I would get dirty looks from people, and they would complain to the attendants that me and my kids were being disruptive. They wouldn't have dared do that to a woman whose husband was at the meeting. They always treated single moms at the meetings differently than the ones who had whole familes at the meetings.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

Any information from the platform about what goes on or shouldn't go on in a couples bedroom.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

WOW I could go on and on with this thread LOL Those stupid songs. Or how about when the 85 year old annointed guy and his wife were telling me that Mickey Mouse and other Disney characters were DEMONIZED because animals can't talk and Satan used the serpent.

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

Hearing speakers yack about how happy JWs were when half the people sitting there were suffering from depression.

Sisters "looking for mates".

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

I cringe just knowing that the Kingdom Halls are filled with innocent little children that have no idea their minds are being controlled

I would cringe whenever the Watchtower magazine would call Jehovah the Great "(add secular title here"). I.E. - The Great Physician. The Great Potter. The Great Fisherman. The Great Freakin tapdancer or whatever the hell the next one will be.

It would also make me cringe to hear the brothers say that those raised as witnesses are truly the most well educated people on the earth. Seriously? We had brothers reading the watchtower than CAN'T frickin read. We had brothers giving talks that were filled with double negatives like "ain't never gonna...." and "that don't mean nothin". We had home schooled children that somehow "graduated" high school at the age of 16.....yet couldn't show you where Israel was on a map. But remember.....this is the BEST education in the WORLD.

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

Mr Freeze...your comment reminds me of a good one.

We had just finished a paragraph that was talking about how to answer at the KH. The first comment should be concise thus leaving an opportunity for others to expound. This gets many people involved and also shows love by not selfishly hogging the whole paragraph, right? So this elder's wife raises her hand and comments (1st comment) top to bottom.....repeating the whole damn paragraph on what we aren't supposed to do when answering. I turned around and stared at her.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit