I Called the Headquarters About the "Slaughter of Apostates" Quote

by DT 59 Replies latest jw friends

• DT
    DT

In case you haven't heard, the November 15, 2011 Watchtower, page 5 made this comment.

"Today, no servant of Jehovah uses physical force against opponents of pureworship. "Vengeance is mine," God says. (Heb.10:30) But to rid the congregation of potentially corrupting influences, Christian elders may have to act with courage similar to that of Jehu. (1 Cor. 5:9-13) And all members of the congregation need to be determined to avoid the company of disfellowshipped individuals.- 2 John 9-11." "Jehu announced that he intended to hold "a great sacrifice" for Baal. (2 Ki. 10:18, 19) "This is a clever play onwords on the part of Jehu," says one scholar. While the term employed here "generally means ‘sacrifice,' it is also used of the ‘slaughter' of apostates." "It is true that Jehu spilled much blood. Yet, the Scriptures present him as a courageous man..."

Many of us were wondering who this scholar is who speaks about a "slaughter of apostates". As is common, The Watchtower doesn't provide the source of the quote.

I did a Google search and couldn't find any reference to that quote (except for results discussing that Watchtower article). Therefore, I decided to call the headquarters and ask them. It took a while to get transferred to the right department. I asked about the source and was given a very prompt answer. I expect that either this question was expected or he was able to look up the article on his computer and find the extra information about the article and its sources.

The quote comes from the "Word Biblical Commentary" for 2 Kings on page 129. It was published in 1985 and written by T.R. Hobbs. I believe this page has the correct description of the book.

I requested that book through interlibrary loan. I will share the context of that quote when it arrives. However, if anybody has access to that book, we might get some answers even sooner.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I'm sure it was taken waaaaaaaaaaay out of context

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

This should be interesting.

• JRK
    JRK

Bookmark for when you have the quote.

Thanks!

JK

• tec
    tec

What a campaign of hatred and intolerane, unmerciful and unloving. How very anti-Christ.

What horrible things to teach children.

Peace (and obviously we need it)

Tammy

• Diest
    Diest

Well done.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

They really tipped their hand with their wishful thinking.

Watchtower Armageddon slaughter of all those who are not Jehovah's Witnesses

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

They should be careful what they wishf for.

• Alleymom
    Alleymom

DT - You have a PM.

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

That picture...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit