When should you Disassociate yourself?

by happytobefree 72 Replies latest jw friends

• STRUGGLE
    STRUGGLE

To happytobefree

I agree there is no need to write a letter. I have three brothers, who are much older then I am. They got baptized as teenagers, and have been inactive for about 23 years. Some congregation do let you fall through the crack. No one ever checked on them, to see what was going on. They still live in the same area. They still beleive, but it is if they were never baptize.
    They don't go to church, but they do their own thing, Holidays, birthdays. I still talk to them. My mother was inactive for about 16 years before I got her to come with me to my new congregation, she loves it.

• larc
    larc

Struggle,

When you meet with the elders, are you going to tell them that you talk to your brothers?

• Simon
    Simon

I wouldn't rush into anything...although you may feel that you want to write one now you may feel quite differently in 6 months time and would regret it if you had.
    As has already been said - it is one of their rules and is very convenient to them but just brings the pain of being shunned on you.

• Gozz
    Gozz

When I left Xtiandom to become a JW, I was encouraged by my conductor to write a letter of dissociation. I refused. I never did. Even then, it just didn't make sense to me. It's the heart that matters. And the disadvantages were clear: my friends and family would see it as an act of aggression; so why not let sleeping dogs lie. Writing a formal letter will probably create a gulf between you and your own, and several other JW, you'll become estranged from them for no other reason that you no more agreed with them. If I had a friend in your situation, I'll say don't write a letter, the gains are much more, you keep your relationships. I find it hard that God will disapprove of that.

• larc
    larc

Gozz,

I have said the same thing in several places here in this community, so all I can add is:

Aymen brother Ben.

• STRUGGLE
    STRUGGLE

To Larc Most of them know.(The Elders) It is like they fell through the cracks. Even when other "friends" see my brothers they speak. They never da'f themselves or were dis'f. They just stop going, they would go the the memorial. They don't talk against the JW.

• larc
    larc

Struggle,

So, in other words, they can sin day in and day out, but you are going to be punished for one sin.

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

JT,
    Well put. And though I have to say I agree with everything said here, I still feel what I did was right for me.
    Just to clear up the hypocritical part. For me to have closure it was important to be honest. I wrote a one sentence letter. "I no longer want to be known as one of Jehovah's Witnesses". I did it for me. Not to follow their rules. That is how I felt. And that is how I still feel.
    But each person needs to decide for themselves. Everyone feels differently.
    TW

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

tw-

your disassociation letter sounds very much like mine. i said something like "i Harmony R..... no longer wish to associate with Jehovah's Witnesses" i signed my name,handed it to my father and left to attend a homecoming football game with my worldly friend. my dad made me write the letter if i wanted to attend the game. how lame! so i was coerced into getting baptized at 15 and coerced into disassociation at 17.

what a mess~
    harmony

• happytobefree
    happytobefree

Thank for your imput all. That's why this type of forum is excellent to be able to talk to those who were and are associated with they organization (because discussing this with my husband (never a JW and not interested in knowing nothing about it). But these forums still make me alittle sad for some many who are still blinded by the WT deceit.

And no I will not write a letter, but I will have to continue to be honest about my beliefs if asked.

And a question that is off this subject is to Struggle. Do you still believe the WBTS is God's organization? And if you do what is your reasoning? I'm just wondering, because it's hard to ask any of my believing witness friends, without them getting angry.

And again, thanks all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit