So who is going to do some kind of protest next Sunday?

by serenitynow! 35 Replies latest jw friends

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Next Sunday is the discussion of the 7/15/2011 WT article about shunning. I am planning to stand outside of a KH on a major street with a big banner that says that the JWs do indeed destroy families with their shunning policy. I will have many copies of the article that will be discussed that day.

Anyone else have any plans?

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Sounds like a Rick Fearon protest. I don't think these protests do any good. You are just helping the JW's persecution complex. To outsiders who see you out there, you probably look like some nutjob. I think I'll spend next Sunday watching football.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Mr Freeze, you're comparing me to Rick Fearon? That's just wrong! You don't think that a protest can be helpful?

• factfinder
    factfinder

When I was a jw I completly ignored everyone who protested-at the convention, and the few who did so in front of Bethel in Brooklyn. I do not think it is a good idea. You could give that issue to people you know personally and explain to them how the shunning breaks up families.

• koolaid-man
    koolaid-man

Go protest...... What happens when you do nothing......... Nothing!

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

people holding posters freak me out. i wouldn't go near them.

why don't you put up some posters on a wall near the kingdom hall instead (with permission of course)? or write an article for a local newspaper. should be more effective, better for everyones nerves and doesn't paint you as one of those crazy apostates like koolaid-man. the first thing i think about when i see something like that is the westboro baptists. and that's one of the reasons why i never went out in street service, couldn't stand it.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

serenitynow! protesting can be useful and do some good if you have the time and inclination to engage in it. It isn't the end-all of the Watchtower but if you're in a high traffic area and have a catchy sign you may inspire someone to look up the Borg online and then refuse the litterature the next time a Dub knocks at their door. There may even be some positive effects on those attending the meeting, but that is less likely. Even so, if it helps one person to not become a JW, that's worth it. There is no WMD to bring down the Borg but that doesn't mean we can't keep chipping away as we can.

If you are in somewhere NOT the USA then protesting is often considered an accepted way of communicating with the public. In the USA, though, as mentioned by several posters, it is often looked at askance. So your mileage may vary.

Cult Free Radio #005 discussed the topic of protesting with an experienced Borg protestor from Canada. The mp3 can be found here:

http://ex-jw.com/web-directory/cult-free-radio-archives-1-6

I hope to have the show up on youtube sometime soon, too.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Serenity,

I personally find that 'protests' do nothing but re-affirm the ridiculous notion that the world is against them.

In essence, it does more harm than good. But your experience may vary, and I do wish you well.

• nateb
    nateb

The best protest you can stage is doing something that makes you feel more at peace and more positive about your life. Reading a book with a nice brunch. A walk in nature. Volunteering to help those more in need. Making improvements to your dwelling. Planning a trip to a place you've never been to. Etc. Etc. Whatever works for you. This in turn will make you a more positive influence in all the lives you touch. You gave enough time and emotional energy to the cult. Don't give them a second more.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

write an article for a local newspaper.

Esp when the big Dist Conv is coming to your town.

Consider how foolish street work or D2D is thought of here. Yet, you'd consider doing the same thing as JFR, stand on street corner in front of "church" with big billboard sign? It didn't do much good for them, it won't accomplish anything for you either. JMHO

DOC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit