Sad and hilarious at the same time.

by Shador 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• Shador
    Shador

Lol. So my parents are studying how to convince one of their bible studies that JWs are not a cult. They just checked TWO different dictionaries, realized that the definitions given could, indeed, apply to JWs. Their reaction: "These dictionaries are no good." Truely insane. It was all I could do not to bust out laughing.

• St George of England
    St George of England

They have probably already read the Reasoning book's definition of cult and if it applies to JW's. We had this as a talk some months ago, pathetic.

George

*** rs p. 202 Jehovah’s Witnesses ***

Are Jehovah’s Witnesses a sect or a cult?

Some define sect to mean a group that has broken away from an established religion. Others apply the term to a group that follows a particular human leader or teacher. The term is usually used in a derogatory way. Jehovah’s Witnesses are not an offshoot of some church but include persons from all walks of life and from many religious backgrounds. They do not look to any human, but rather to Jesus Christ, as their leader.
    A cult is a religion that is said to be unorthodox or that emphasizes devotion according to prescribed ritual.

Many cults follow a living human leader, and often their adherents live in groups apart from the rest of society. The standard for what is orthodox, however, should be God’s Word, and Jehovah’s Witnesses strictly adhere to the Bible. Their worship is a way of life, not a ritual devotion. They neither follow a human nor isolate themselves from the rest of society. They live and work in the midst of other people.

• N.drew
    N.drew

It's Satan who writes the dictionaries. Funny they will have one in the house. It might attack to cause a straying.

• N.drew
    N.drew

St G. JWs strickly adhere to the Bible? Or they teach and believe they strickly adhere to the Bible?

I was disciplined by the brothers, they do not adhere to the Bible. I have not found one JW of the society who uses the Bible to reason.

(The discipline I received was not why I left, but it is one reason why I began to question the wisdom of the Watchtower)

• Shador
    Shador

Ugh. I know. That "definition" is so assinine.

The standard for what is orthodox, however, should be God’s Word (Why? and which God, anyway?), and Jehovah’s Witnesses strictly adhere to (their own version of) the Bible. (upon close study of the Bible, it is clearly solely of human origin and bears no evidence of "divine inspiration" whatsoever.)

Their worship is a way of life, not a ritual devotion. (False dichotomy - ritual devotion can be [and for JWs, is] a way of life)

They neither follow a human (no, they follow a group of them. Nice try, WTB$) nor isolate themselves from the rest of society. (Yes, yes they do.) They live and work in the midst of other people. (But have no social contact beyond that, save for the "preaching work". This is isolation, just not the physical kind.)

Yea, I know, I'm preaching to the choir here, but I just gotta vent.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

"These dictionaries are no good."

Dictionaries were written just to make JW`s look Bad..

The whole world is out to get JW`s..

.....................;-)...OUTLAW

• White Dove
    White Dove

I'm so glad to read this!

By their own words, the GB made up of men making the rules don't have to be obeyed!

Also, we can have worldly friends, by their own words.

They said they don't live apart from everyone else.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Those goddamned dictionaries with all of their man-made words!!!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Those goddamned dictionaries with all of their man-made words!!!

Dam Straight!..

You can`t find "Happified" or "Overlapping Generation" in a wordly dictionary..

Satan took them out!..

Satan has a Huge Eraser..It`s so Big ,The Demons have to help him carry it..

.....................;-)...OUTLAW

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

Here's some info on cults for them:

TRAITS OF CULT-LIKE CHURCHES AND ORGANIZATIONS

• Control-orientated, arrogantly assertive, power-posturing leadership.

• Authoritarian and legalistic with dictatorial, dogmatic unproven doctrines that are proclaimed to be ‘the Truth’.

• Claims of being the channel of communication between God and mankind; having unique knowledge that makes them special. If members do not submit to its dictatorial rule, the leaders emphasise that any waver of support to the organization or church is evidence of a wavering of one’s faith in God.

• Manipulation of members by guilt, shame, blame and fear.

• An “Us-vs-Them” view, a perception of being under persecution.

• Demanding, rigid lifestyles and overwhelming service requirements. Member’s lives are controlled by both spoken and unspoken rules which are unscriptural.

• Loss of focus on God, replaced by a complicated process of furthering the church or organization and its rules.

• Followers “in pain,” hiding real feelings that oppose or disagree with the religious system.

• Intolerance of individual thinking, and of criticism of the religious system by its members. Fosters an unhealthy dependency by focusing on themes of submission, loyalty, and obedience to those in authority.

• Severe discipline of members with threats to remove members from the group.

• The religious system puts down other religions beyond simple analysis of the doctrines and practices of the religion.

• Leaving the religious system is painful and difficult.

• Closed communication: information is only valid if it comes from the top of the religious organization down, and from inside the system to the outside of it.

• Labelling: a technique used to discount a person who opposes the beliefs of the religious system.

• What you do is more important than who you are.

• Love and acceptance are earned by doing certain things.

• Scripture-twisting.

• Scare tactics; focus on demons.

• Members are misled into thinking that the only safety is in the religious system.

• A view that education is bad or unnecessary.

CHARACTERISTICS OF EXTREME CULTS

• Members of the group must believe that the doctrines of the group are the one and only “Truth.”

• Members must follow the doctrines even if they don’t understand them.

• The doctrines form the basis of all thoughts, feelings, and actions.

• There is an “Us-vs-Them” belief that no outside group is recognized as godly.

• No independent thinking by members is allowed.

• It teaches that there is a huge conspiracy (actually non-existent) working to thwart the group. (However, certain individuals my wish to thwart the group).

• Teaches that spirit beings are constantly critically observing the members.

• Members are made to feel elite, chosen by God to lead mankind out of darkness.

• The group looks down on other religious groups.

• Members are told if they don’t fully perform their duties, they are failing in humility.

• Members are required to render absolute obedience to their superiors.

• When members leave the group, the love that was formerly shown to them turns into anger, hatred, and ridicule.

• The group uses guilt and shame to control its members.

• Fear is a major motivator.

• Members feel an extreme sense of urgency about given tasks.

• Many groups teach that the apocalypse is just around the corner, and have timetables for it’s occurrence with dates near enough to carry an emotional punch.

• Members are kept extremely busy.

• There is never a legitimate reason for leaving the group.

• Members are indoctrinated with the belief that if they ever leave the group, terrible consequences will befall them.

• Members are forbidden to think negative thoughts about the group.

• Members are forbidden to have contact with former members of the group.

• ‘The ‘truth’ is changed to fit the needs of the situation.

• Friendships in the group are shallow; the only real allegiance is to the leader/leadership.

• There is no allowance for interpretation of or deviation from the group’s’ doctrines.

• The leadership systematically creates a sense of powerlessness in its members.

• The group causes members to become extremely dependent on its compliance-oriented expressions of love and support; dread of losing the groups support.

• ‘Love Bombing’: members shower much attention on prospective members.

• Members must project a façade of happiness.

• Members must believe the group is always right, even if it contradicts itself.

• Members spend more and more time with and under the direction of the group.

• Those who do not conform to the group’s requirements will be expelled.

• Disagreement with or doubts about the groups teachings are always the fault of the member, due to lack of faith or lack of understanding.

• The group is superior to and different from all other groups.

• Members must trust the group leaders instead of themselves.

• Members have similar odd mannerisms and modes of speech.

How many of these do JWs have in common? Just ask them- don't TELL them.

source:

http://www.jwstruggle.com/2011/03/characteristics-of-extreme-cults/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit