Today's Watchtower Study is SO dumb!!!

by TimothyT 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

TimothyT, yes, I agree--it was one big non sequitur. There wasn't really any attempt to make any meaningful connection b/w the Israelites wanting to go back to Egypt, the first century Christians wanting to celebrate the Mosaic Law and unquestioning obedience to the organization. Beyond the common denominator of obedience. Interestingly, particularly with respect to the first example of the Israelites, their problem was disobedience to God himself--I mean to God's own literal words. By the end of the lesson, the "organization" had been inserted as the source of God's decrees.

It was 1 + 1 = 3.687 and if you don't agree, you're not going along w/Jehovah's "unfolding purpose," which is such a freaky JW-only concept.

Also, I had to giggle at the line-up of small pics near the end supposedly illustrating some of the moments discussed. In the middle is a depiction of what presumably a first century Christian "meeting" looked like, complete with folks sitting politely in chairs, all with their scrolls unfolded in their laps and one little girl with her hand up to answer. I guess the WT artists don't realize that widespread literacy is a 20th century phenomenon. The majority of men, 98% of women and most assuredly 100% of little girls were unable to read, much less ever get close enough to a scroll to touch it. But then to acknowledge this inconvenient bit of history is to make it very difficult to identify first century Christians so closely w/modern JWs...

Sigh.

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

And welcome to dropoffyourkeylee, Greybeard and all the other newbies on this thread!

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

Nice to see you around here Greybeard!

SIAM

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

the blind leading the blind

• ambersun
    ambersun
    a depiction of what presumably a first century Christian "meeting" looked like, complete with folks sitting politely in chairs, all with their scrolls unfolded in their laps and one little girl with her hand up to answer.

The majority of men, 98% of women and most assuredly 100% of little girls were unable to read, much less ever get close enough to a scroll to touch it.

Thanks Cadellin. How can any reasonably intelligent person look at an illustration like that in the WT and not think how riduculous it is!! I wouldn't be surprised if the illustration also included a first century brother with 'privileges' holding a first century microphone towards the little girl's face as she offers up her happyfying answer that she has underlined on her scroll using a first century ball point pen

Loving some of the comments here, especially Greybeard, I had tears (of laughter) in my eyes.

Welcome to everyone new on this thread, and look forward to all your future comments

• Greybeard
    Greybeard

Thanks everyone for the welcome. Nice to see you too SIAM. Looks like this is the place to be...

• agonus
    agonus

After reading the comment about the little girl with the magazine, er, scroll, raising her hand, I thought to myself, "You can't possibly be serious". But I downloaded the PDF, and sure as shootin', there it was in all its ludicrous glory! Yep, they managed to top even the infamous Jesus & Pals with Leather Bookbags masterpiece of Tower-centric lunacy. Who needs apostates anymore? The WT are mocking themselves harder and louder every single day that passes more than anyone here ever could! I have to wonder, are the boys in Brooklyn secretly trying to stifle a few uncontrollable internal giggle fits at their own glaringly obvious in-joke? This has to be some kind of sick game for them...

• ambersun
    ambersun

I couldn't agree more agonus. The trouble is, the R&F are so conditioned to accept without question everything they see printed in WT literature that the boys in Brooklyn can do just about anything they want to make first century christians look like modern day JWs and not raise an eyebrow. Crazy!!!

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

AMBERSUN -

Dont you know ANYTHING?

There were no electronics in the first century. How could a MS hold a microphone to the answerers? They used GIANORMOUS speaking trumpets. The MS moved a tripod around the rows of chairs, then brought the big brass thing and swung it into position in front of the speakers mouth.

Didnt you learn anything from the college education of the Asleep! magazine??

PS can somebody post the picture, as I have not been near kingdumb hell for a long time and get my litterature by download.

HB

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

UNRAVELLING purpose.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit