After leaving the Faith, do you celebrate all of the Holidays?

by Quarterback 60 Replies latest jw friends

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

I could never understand how some who don't follow some of the moral restrictions in the JW faith, are strong against celebrating the

religious holidays such as Christmas, and Easter etc.

Do you celebrate the holidays knowing some of their origins?

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Yes! Absolutely. My Christmas tree is the product of many years and thousands of dollars of ornaments. Friends of friends come to see my tree. I adore pagan rituals. I stood for so long on the side lines watching the rest of humanity affirm their humanity. I even attend Seders, which are not even part of my religion. Russian Orthodox services are nice. celebrate Bastille Day.

I am part of a community, commemorating milestones. Last Sunday I returned to NY for observances. If I were smarter, I'd be an event planner for a wordly org.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I feel the same as BOTR does about holidays.

I love them!

I'm not left out, anymore!

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Yes. We truly enjoy them. None of my extended family were ever in the cult, so this makes it easy.

• Ilovebirthdays
    Ilovebirthdays

I love birthdays and holidays. They bring so much joy to my kids and I, I can't imagine not celebrating them. The only people that seem to be concerned about the origin of holidays are JWs, and I am no longer one, so their rules no longer apply.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

I must admit that I do enjoy seeing those coloured lights around that dark time of year on trees, and houses. But, the exchanging of gifts on Dec 25th?

I can see the time of year for family to get together, but hunting for Easter eggs? Is this really fun?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I have the freedom to pick and choose which holidays I want to celebrate. My faves are Christmas, thanksgiving, Halloween, and st valentine's day. I also celebrate my family's individual birthdays. Yes it's all fun.

• designs
    designs

Birthday parties for my grandson are the best.

• Gayle
    Gayle

I eased into these holidays,, right away I liked Thanksgiving (that was never pagan anyway),,like Christmas (I know its origins, but understand things change in their meaning, kind of like the dollar sign ($) is pagan, but has a different meaning now :) Not into Easter,,but give little baskets to my grandkids. Not much into New Year's Eve, too tired. Watching the fourth of July fireworks is fun. Oh, I wear a little green on St Patrick's Day, "everyone's Irish" on that day! My husband, never a JW, loves Halloween. Last year, I dressed as a 1920s "flapper." (And was I really active and "strong in the 'truth' before?" yes, very long, long ago)

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Not easter, but i will have holiday meals with people, put up a tree, exchange presents, get hammered and watch football on thanksgiving...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit