A warning for all from Totally ADD

by TotallyADD 26 Replies latest jw friends

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

So sorry to hear that, but I think using a jack hammer would mess anyone up, no matter their age! Get lots of rest, take Tylenol and soak in copius amounts of hot water. A liitle Ben-Gay wouldn't hurt either.

• paladin
    paladin

I felt like you did about three weeks ago after working on my knees and bent over working on repairing some parging cement on my house. Next day I felt like some one beat me up real bad. My solution was a hot bath, a few drinks, pain killer and lay around a lot.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Hey there, TADD. I did the same thing as you did, except I was only 55, two years younger. Four years ago. I rented a jackhammer for three successive weekends to cut down a hump in my basement floor before pouring self leveling cement over the entire area to level it off ahead of the flooring. I didn't have a problem, except for keeping the dust out of the house despite sealing off everything with poly. It is not so much a function of your age but of your level of fitness. Regardless, you are right. It is only when your body really starts to get old that you truly understand what it is all about. Ah, the wisdom of age, eh? Use it or lose it. Keep your body moving and your brain occupied or both will turn to mush.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Take care ADD!!! I recently went to a rock concert, and the next morning I was in so much pain!! I realized as I thought about it, that I was banging my head as they say. I'm 50, guess that's out from now on

By the way, I love donuts!! The best I ever had was a glazed honey whole wheat cake from a shop near where I used to work. MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I turned 56 last month. I understand. Though I have never used a jackhammer, I am a person who loves 'projects' in my home. I am finding myself sore and moving slowly more often these days following a rigorous chore. The big problem is with our minds' refusal to believe we are older now. We still think we can do what we did at 21.

For the most part, I think we should do what we want, as long as we can. But when you find a line that should not be crossed [and jackhammers is a notable example] then it might be wise to not cross it again.

Rest up, for soon you will push yourself again. Keep living.

Jeff

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

Thank you all for all the good advice. This morning I woke up feeling a little better than yesterday. Two asprin is all I need now to get me started. I forgot all about the ben gay which of course is ben hurs homosexual brother. LOL No offense to anyone. I heard that joke by Red Buttons about 40 years ago and always thought it was funny. See the pain is going away and my mind is now back to a normal wrapness. Today I will begin to tackle the electric. Hopefully by the end of the week I will get all the rough in plumbing installed. OK PaulnotSaul I may be a old man but you are not far behind. Enjoy your last days as a middle ager. LOL Again thanks for all the encouragement. I will let everyone know when we open. Totally ADD

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

TADD: I've been following your story here on JWN. Wishing you all the best in your new adventure in life! In my opinon, there's nothing as good as hot, sticky buns!

DOC

• Robdar
    Robdar

Ouch!!!

I hope you are feeling better soon.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I leave that sort of work to the experts. Hope you are fully recovered soon.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I turned 60 in April, I know how you feel. I still try to keep up with doing some physical work, but a could long stint like that will do you in. Get some Arnica gel, it really works and doesn't stink.

If you live anywhere near Seattle I'll help with the cement pour.

- Jeff (will work for donuts class)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit