Dec 15 2011 WT: playing school sports equated with cheating on taxes & lying - wtf?

by baltar447 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Diest
    Diest

Ill never agree with a frakin cylon lover.

• baltar447
    baltar447

LOL. Don't knock it till you try it.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

All I can say is wow. Well I played school sports, maybe I should start looking over my shoulder.

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

Interesting. A guy I know was away from meetings for the best part of 10 years, and has recently felt guilty and resumed attendance and witnessing. His daughter was playing basketball with mine and was just fantastic, a real star. I'm very curious to know if she'll be playing this season.

It's just appalling: no scriptural basis, no explanation, just a burden of guilt. "With similar rationalizing, one might share in extracurricular sports or clubs at school...."

There is no room for inidvidual choice in this religion, no room for personal conscience. They alone decide what is permissible. Anyone who comes to a different decision is rationalizing.

Worst part: those reading this slop at the meeting won't think "WTF?" They'll just feel guilty.

• designs
    designs

Tossing the ol Pigskin around always did remind me of ___________ name your favorite Sin.

• agent zero
    agent zero
    With similar rationalizing, one might share in extracurricular sports

first of all, what is possibly scripturally wrong with extracurricular sports???? it just doesn't fit in the list with marrying in the lord, and cheating on taxes and lying.

secondly, even if you decide for sports after rationalizing a few things in your mind, it's nothing similar or has anything to do with Solomon. its such a stretch of the imagination!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

My oldest son is playing varsity football this year. My parents have not asked how my son is doing in football nor have they asked about attending a game and I had reservations about approaching them to extend an invite. When I asked my mother if she would like to partake in funding raising for my son's team (i.e. purchase a $20 discount card) my mother said she doesn't do charity. The same attitude is reflected in that article and needless to say I will not attempt to invite my parents to any functions having to do with my children.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    God’s directive to marry “only in the Lord.” (1 Cor. 7:39)

What is being quoted here is the advice and personal opinion of the apostle Paul in a letter written to the church at Corinth. Paul in this very chapter distinguishes his own opinions from the "directives" of the Lord.

6 I say this as a concession, not as a command. 7 I wish that all of you were as I am. But each of you has your own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that.

8 Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I do. 9 But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

10 To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband. 11 But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife.

12 To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. 13 And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. 14 For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy....

17 Nevertheless, each person should live as a believer in whatever situation the Lord has assigned to them, just as God has called them. This is the rule I lay down in all the churches....

25 Now about virgins: I have no command from the Lord, but I give an opinion (i.e. judgment) as one who by the Lord’s mercy is trustworthy. 26 Because of the present crisis, I think that it is good for a man to remain as he is. 27 Are you pledged to a woman? Do not seek to be released. Are you free from such a commitment? Do not look for a wife. 28 But if you do marry, you have not sinned; and if a virgin marries, she has not sinned. But those who marry will face many troubles in this life, and I want to spare you this....

32 I would like you to be free from concern. An unmarried man is concerned about the Lord’s affairs—how he can please the Lord. 33 But a married man is concerned about the affairs of this world—how he can please his wife— 34 and his interests are divided. An unmarried woman or virgin is concerned about the Lord’s affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord in both body and spirit. But a married woman is concerned about the affairs of this world—how she can please her husband. 35 I am saying this for your own good, not to restrict you, but that you may live in a right way in undivided devotion to the Lord.

36 If anyone is worried that he might not be acting honorably toward the virgin he is engaged to, and if his passions are too strong and he feels he ought to marry, he should do as he wants. He is not sinning. They should get married. 37 But the man who has settled the matter in his own mind, who is under no compulsion but has control over his own will, and who has made up his mind not to marry the virgin—this man also does the right thing. 38 So then, he who marries the virgin does right, but he who does not marry her does better.

39 A woman is bound to her husband as long as he lives. But if her husband dies, she is free to marry anyone she wishes, but he must belong to the Lord. 40 In my opinion, she is happier if she stays as she is—and I think that I too have the Spirit of God.

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

My sons are both very involved in extra curricular activities. One is a very talented musician who could very well make a living doing something that he enjoys and has a talent for. The other has a natural aptitude for higher mathematics and I can very easily see him being in some kind of engineering or science. Both kids are highly regarded by their peers, by their teachers, and by me and their mother. They do not get into the usual trouble that I see many parents dealing with, they are stellar kids!

However....my brainwashed, deluded mother-in-law seems to regard them as disappointments because they do not have the regulation haircuts, do not participate in the D2D work, and do not attend meetings. Of course, neither do I, so I am pretty disappointing to her as well.

She actually told my wife that "they do not look like they belong in the hall" when they actually do go to the meetings.

She has actually taken under her wing some kids that moved into our hall, children of someone who is studying. I guess these are her "new" grandchildren now.

I told this to one of my kids' teachers, she was dumbfounded! She just could not believe what I was telling her!

I hate this f#$%ing religion. Why did my own mom (now inactive) ever buy into this BS? Any happiness she once got out of it she long since has lost, and because of her refusal to smell the aroma of Bovine Excrement (tm), my life and the lives of my family members are hopelessly entangled in it.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

David was an athelete. I thought it was only a silly story since I saw Tom Sawyer's slingshot. One day I say the Palestinians use a different sling shot method in the INtifada. Now I can see Goliath going down. They don't well balanced people. With their hatred of education, they want their rank and file stupid. Beards, skirts, colored shirts, sports, music, art --show me in Holy Scripture.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit