JW's Thoughts on Medical Cannabis

by bushido8000 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bushido8000
    bushido8000

I've wondered this for sometime. To all of the JWs on the forum, what is your opinion on Medical Cannabis? I support it for a couple of reasons.

1. I've battled clinical depression since age 9. After my anti-depressants stopped working when I was 21, I heard about Cannabis' positive effects on depression through the internet and a couple of documentaries so I tried it. I was suprised to find that it totally knocked depression out of my life (even when I was on anti-depressants I still had trouble with bouts of severe depression) and at the same time I didn't become lazy/fat. also noticed that my lungs/asthma have never been noticebly affected by it.

2. I find it interesting that man feels so self-rightious that he deems himself worthy of banning/eradicating one of Jehovah's creations. I hear a lot from the Christian community that Marijuana is evil and should stay banned. Do they think that Marijuana was God's mistake? I myself do not believe that Jehovah is capable of error.

P.S. Some background on me, I've been in the truth since age 5 and still am.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Hello Bushy.

I am no longer a JW but here is a snippet you can check for yourself from the CDRom, I hope this helps....

*** g01 11/8 p. 30 From Our Readers ***

Marfan’sSyndrome In the article "Coping With Marfan’s Syndrome—When Joints Dislocate" (February 22, 2001), Michelle says that she takes morphine daily. How can an addictive drug be used by a Christian?

S. D., United States

It would be wrong for a Christian to sue drugs simply for the thrills or fo the highs they produce. However, one who accepts a painkilling narcotic under the direction of a physician because of some medical problem could hardly be called a thrill seeker. Of course, even in circumstances like that, a Christian must weigh the possibility of addition and other harmful side effects from taking such a medication.—ED.

• sizemik
    sizemik

Interesting quote Unky . . . thanks for that.

As with all rule-making we get areas of conflict where the interpretation becomes very subjective and outside the parameters of endless rules.

In this case, the use of cannabis for mentally related illness is a veritable minefield.

If the user remains in a relatively normal state of mental health while using, but relies on it for prevention purposes, at what point does it become recreational? The user may not feel instant "relief" from using but may rather simply be on a preventative dose. Then there is the question of "enjoyment" or "thrills". even with medicinal use, the effect will still be pleasant or enjoyable.

At the end of the day . . . it is simply a natural medicine. If it brings the user benefits, then that is nobody elses business or reason for judgement IMO.

For the record, I suffer from depression and use cannabis on occasion . . . I also enjoy the effects. Does that make it wicked? . . . because it happens to be pleasant? It's just plain silly to try and "demonise" it and justify it at the same time.

I've seldom found any narcotic "thrilling" . . . if I want to thrill-seek, I'll go back to hurling myself out of aeroplanes.

Good question bushido

• cantleave
    cantleave

It would be an issue if you smoked the drug, because of spiritistic connections with smoking.

There would be no problem if cannabis is incorporated into a medical drug however. At the end of the day opiates are used throughout the nedical profession and are perfectly acceptable as long as used under medical supervision.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Sizemik - You're correct of course. A lot of the questions about 'should I or shouldn't I?' are down to the personal unscriptural interpretations of men/elders if you were to ask. I'd go so far as to say you'd get a variety of answers if you asked many different elders.

As we have all come to realize from being in 'the truth' if it comes to being a 'conscience matter' this is a sugar coated way of saying 'NO!'

Even if it's something you can't get hauled into the back room of the hall with 3 elders for you'll be held in low regard and gossiped about at elders' meetings. Trust me I've been an elder!!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I have to go with Cantleave on this. If it were a pill or put into special brownies, WTS would seem to have no problem with medical marijuana.

Bushido, you might have to research why they place "smoking" up there as such a terrible sin at the same level as "fornication."

• Awen
    Awen

On the legality of cannibas. The preaching work is banned in many countries yet the JW's still go door-to door in blatant disregrd for the laws of their respective countries. So how is this any different? Medicinal Cannibas has been put through many clinical trials and has been shown to have great benefits yet because it's still illegal in many US states, people stay away from it.

I think this is one of those conscience matters that no one should be judging another on.

• blondie
    blondie

There is a spiritistic connection with tobacco, coca leaves, and betel nut from the same time period but not because of smoking. Even if a jw would chew tobacco he/she could be df'd if they weren't repentant.

• Cinciguy74
    Cinciguy74

When a family member was sick and undergoing chemo earlier this year, and thus had no appetite, my wife (still strongly in JW land) commented that we should see if the family member would be up for me obtaining some for her (I know a few people, who know a few people....) despite the fact that it is illegal where I live.

I was really surprised to hear that come out of my wife's mouth. Funny how "God's Law" on smoking and drugs are okay to break when someone's life is in danger, but giving the person blood... no way.

• Cinciguy74
    Cinciguy74

When a family member was sick and undergoing chemo earlier this year, and thus had no appetite, my wife (still strongly in JW land) commented that we should see if the family member would be up for me obtaining some for her (I know a few people, who know a few people....) despite the fact that it is illegal where I live.

I was really surprised to hear that come out of my wife's mouth. Funny how "God's Law" on smoking and drugs are okay to break when someone's life is in danger, but giving the person blood... no way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit