Am i worthy to partake of the bread and the wine?

by TimothyT 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Farkel
    Farkel

:Am i worthy to partake of the bread and the wine?

Sure. If you are superstitious, that is. Over the years, I've known dozens of people who partook of bread and wine and they never attached any voodoo bullshit to their partaking. So there are two options here: "partake" of bread and wine in a typical social situation, or "partake" of the bread and wine in some sort of religio/voodoo situation where somehow the bread and wine becomes more than just bread and wine. Oh, yeah! THAT's voodoo, alright!

Farkel

• dgp
    dgp

Just make sure you don't drink the wine or eat the unleavened bread as they are now sacred .

In which case, what would be the point? Let it rot, or feed the mice?

• Perry
    Perry

Unless you have entered into a contractual agreement with Jesus Christ, many pastors would advise you not to participate because it won't mean anything to you or God.

The reason that this was prohibited for us as JW's is because it is a ceremony indicating our participation in the New Covenant contract for getting our sins forgiven and becoming Justified before God. But, the WT views only the leaders as justified, not the rank and file.

The WT admits this:

The Jonadabs, or “other sheep”, are in a different condition. The Jonadabs have fled to the Lord and there found refuge. They are still human creatures, not even justified, - w.1938 p.104,105 par.33 (bold & italics ours)

However the bible says that being justified is needed to make peace with God: "Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ" - Romans 5: 1

Trying to be a good boy won't validate your contract with God either because he says that even your righteousness (not just your sins) is but filthy rags to him. - "But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags;" - Isaiah 64:6

The following scriptures show that the new covenant is for the forgiveness of sins and not for a kingdom government like the WT teaches: The words "testament" and "covenant"are from the same Greek word and simply mean "contract". I have replaced those words with the word "contract" in the citations below from the KJV:

For this is my blood of the new contract, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. - Matt 26:28

For this is my contract unto them, when I shall take away their sins – Romans 11: 27

And for this cause he is the mediator of the new contract, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first contract, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance. – Hebrews 9:15

Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new contract in my blood, which is shed for you. (not Adam)– Luke 22:20

After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new contract in my blood: this do ye, - 1 Corinthians 11:25

This is the contract that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them. And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more. - Hebrews 10:16, 17

Who also hath made us able ministers of the new contract; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life. - 2 Corinthians 3: 6

For two thousand years, bible-believing Christians have understood the New Testament to say what it means and to mean what it says. They obeyed Jesus’ command to “this do ye” in 1 Cor. 11:25 to drink of the cup and to eat of his symbolic flesh during the Lord ’s Supper which memorialized God’s instrument (Jesus) for getting our sins forgiven and escaping judgment.

The reason that Christians did this is because they believed God when he said there would be a personal judgment after they died: Hebrews 9:27 - …it is appointed unto man once to die, and then judgment. They also believed the resurrected Jesus when he told Peter that the kingdom message wasn’t that he and the other apostles constituted some elite organizational club and that everybody better join up or else. No, the kingdom message that Jesus commanded to be preached was simply this:

Acts 10:42 And he [Jesus] commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is he which was ordained of God to be the Judge of quick and dead.

The Lord's Supper was meant for those that agree to allow Jesus into their heart and agree that without him they are helpless to acheive any kind of real rightousnes no matter how much of a do-gooder they may or may not be. It involves giving up the rights to yourself and being able to honesly pray at some point to God, "Do with me what you will". It involves being born again and allowing God to re-make you in the image of his Son through no agency of your own doing.

It is emblematic of a serious agreement between you and the Lord Jesus Christ for your escape from judgment.

Having said all that, all you really have to do is allow Jesus to be the boss of your life. Just let him drive and work things out for your good for you. All the bigger understandings will come later in your walk.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

While I may disagree with Perry and tend to agree with Farkel, I would say to decide for yourself.

If I were attending a church and they "invited" me to partake, I would probably partake. I mean, you were "invited."

• LostInTranslation

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit