Am i worthy to partake of the bread and the wine?

by TimothyT 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• koolaid-man
    koolaid-man

Just do it.

• sizemik
    sizemik

Feeding on the blood and flesh of Christ is a matter of the heart.

Partaking of the symbols at a religious ritual is just a symbol of what is taking place in reality . . . in your heart.

Partaking is a trivial matter . . . it's the reality of what your heart is feeding on that's real.

Christ is not so interested in what passes your lips . . . anyone can do that.

His interest is in the reality . . . not the ritual.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

I like your take Sizemik; much to be said for it.

Somehow I believe Jesus knew we would need to actually get wet to seal our committment; partake of the emblems to solidify what we hold true in our hearts. Acts of faith/obedience solidify faith and free us from the bondage of doubt and fear. The Holy Spirit blesses obedience.

But I hear you.

• sizemik
    sizemik

I hear you too Vanderhoven . . .

All of the benefits you mention are fulfilling the needs of the individual. Some don't have that need. I simply don't believe that a man who was never baptised, never ate or drank, ignored the requirements of holy writings, but lived with Christian principles firmly in his heart . . . would not be acceptable to him.

That is the man who truly lives without fear.

But each must feel free to find their own place with him.

• dgp
    dgp

Perhaps this will help: as a former Catholic, I find it odd that you even ask this question. We assume that we are all invited to "partake". It's just a matter of whether you are willing to do it with a clean conscience or not, and whether you understand what you're doing.

I never bothered to learn Bible quotes with verse number and all because to me that seemed an exercise in futility. Why keep it in your memory if you can write it down somewhere, add a sticky note to your bible, whatever? However, I can ask you a question: Didn't Jesus say something like "take my flesh and drink my blood", et cetera? Where in that passage do you find the "restrictions apply" part?

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Tim's concern comes out of the brainwashing the WTS gives its members - in particular the misapplication of the scripture that says that if someone partakes "unworthily" then that person is sinning against the holy spirit and will receive permanent death.

At each Memorial the WTS quotes this scripture as a way of deterring its members from partaking of the wine and bread.

Thus, a JW such as Tim has had it ingrained into his mind that he is "not worthy".

• tec
    tec

Christ has invited us to have Life, and that life is in Him.

So imagine He is speaking: "Come to me to have life"... and "Unless you eat my flesh and drink my blood, you have no life in you." Your choice from this point seems to be accept that invitation, or to reject that invitation. To turn away from it. (because of doubt, or feelings of unworthiness, or whatever) Personally, I can accept Him saying no to me... no you can't have life. But I would not want to say no to Him, when He is standing there asking me to come to Him and take the gift of life that He is offering. So that scenario puts things into perspective, for me.

Now, I also agree with Sizemik (and Vanderhoven), that the reality takes place in your heart. That feeding on Christ is learning from Him, loving Him, knowing Him, listening to Him. But on the other hand, Christ also ASKED us to do 'this' (partaking) in remembrance of Him.

There is nothing right about what the JW's teach and do about this. There is no biblical basis for their memorial ritual (contrary to what they claim) - where people pass by and reject the flesh and blood of Christ.

If you WANT to partake, if you want the life that Christ offers, and if you love Him... then partake, Timothy. Don't let anyone stop you. You are brave enough to defeat the hold they still have on you in some areas, and if you are not, then ask Christ and God to strengthen you.

Peace to you,

Tammy

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

Dig in.

Trust me...it won't hurt anything.

The Oracle

• oldflame
    oldflame

Absolutely every believer is welcome to partake, That is a huge sin on the Jehovahs Witnesses Society and they will be punished for that I can promise you !

• oldflame
    oldflame

Oh and I will also say you do not have to be in a church to do this, you can do it at home just as well as in any church . Just make sure you don't drink the wine or eat the unleavened bread as they are now sacred .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit