911 forgotten amongst JWs

by fade_away 39 Replies latest jw friends

• fade_away
    fade_away

I noticed over the last 10 years that in every 9/11 anniversary, JWs that I know personally don't even mention it. Not a word about the anniversary. Not a compassionate comment, not a prayer....nothing. I have a facebook account with more than 50 percent JW "friends" and out of all my FB friends, only the "worldly" ones post something every year in memory of 9/11 (wether it be a picture or a comment or anything). The JWs just go about their usual postings such as "how wonderful service was today" or "look at how beautiful I look in this new dress" and proceed to post a picture of their shallow lives. I wouldn't mind that if they took literally just one damn second of their lives to think about other people's loss instead of their own personal selfish gains....really just once in the last 10 years wouldn't hurt. But for the most part they don't.

If you do, then you're viewed as being patriotic and therefore a sinner of idolatry. They only seem to care a little bit about all 13 (more or less) JWs that died that day. All the other 2,500 people don't really matter cause they weren't Witlesses. Sept 11 showed us all that the world is not as brutal and cold as we are told it is....even though it took a brutal and cold act of terror to prove that. It was a day when strangers got together and put their petty differences aside for a day to help each other survive. Something the dubs could never do.

• pubtruth
    pubtruth

JWs dont pray for dead.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Well, my calendar has Sept. 11 listed as Patriot Day. We know that won't fly with WTS. So lump it in with Independence Day or Veteran's Day or President's Day.

They do, however, use such tragedy to distribute literature about how bad things are in the world.

• sizemik
    sizemik

9/11 wasn't the start of the GT after all . . . the anniversaries, as they multiply, simply compound their personal disappointment. They feel no sorrow for the dead . . . their God was going to slaughter most of them anyway.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Sizemilk makes a good point. If they play up anything that doesn't lead to the great tribulation, they feel and look bad later.

There was the volcanoe in Iceland, Chernoble, collapse of the Soviet Union, the earthquakes in Japan and Haiti and any number of other places, hurricanes, economic collapse in Greece or other places, tsunamis, etc. etc. etc.

• Band on the Run
  • PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

I had a neighbor who was killed in this act of terrorism. I've never forgotten her or how her family was traumatized by the loss of their wife/mother. Whenever I walked by her house, it seemed somewhat forlorn and sad, weeds growing in the flower garden...the gardener had died and everyone was so very sad. The spark and glue of that family died. The husband tried very hard to deal with his and his childrens' loss, but it was so obvious that she was so special to them and she couldn't be replaced.

Flight 93 flew over my house, and I was, thankful that plane didn't crash into our town, the loss of life would have been much worse than it was. It was and still is a numbing thing to think about America being attacked by people we had opened our collective arms to.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

It is perfectly acceptable to say you regret the loss of life and the trauma of terrorism without biting into the political system. Manners are lacking.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

It was supposed to be the start of Armageddon. At least that's what JW's in my congregation and surrounding area were saying. It would be sort of embarrassing for them to bring it up.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

This anniversary especially, is an in their face reminder of a time when so many JW's hoped this act of terrorism would lead to a war that would kick-off the long awaited Great Tribulaton. The turn out for field service the Saturday following the disaster was huge. It was like a modern day fall of the tower of Babel. Surely it would be just a matter of time before all that preperation for the end of the world we had been doing was finally going to pay off. Instead, as the weeks went by the dissapointment turned to embarrasment as this terrible event, rather than being an excuse to start a war, seemed to bring the best out in people. We witnessed the heroic acts made by total strangers on behalf of one another and the monumental efforts made to memorialize those lost and piece things back together for the living as quickly as possible. The nation and world prayed to God for help. It seemed as each year passed that mankind had gotten itself out of yet another scrape and was soldering on. If JW's acknowledged this in any way, it might seem they were admitting defeat or even being disloyal to God.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit