Theological Arguments, Human Realities

by AllTimeJeff 161 Replies latest jw friends

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    If this helps Sulla or BTS, or any other cranky, theologically superior Trinitarians

I resent that. You certainly haven't been a bed of roses either. Do you want to have a discussion or an argument? If you want to argue about theology or religion, you'll do it without me.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Duly noted BTS.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

No prob ATJ. I am not ignoring the rest of your post, I am just not in the mood to think about it right now.

Cheers.

BTS

• Sulla
    Sulla

ATJ: Simply put, what I have an issue with is the presentation that your god, with your religious theology, is somehow superior. There simply is no logical basis to put one theology ahead of another, when all have the same amount of evidence to back it up.

ATJ, there has been extensive discussion on this thread about the virtues of the conclusions of Chistian theology. In drastic summary: pretty much all the stuff you like is related to the Christian theological assertion that each and every human life is of inestimable value and that creation is good and logical. It's not really necessary to lower the achievements of other theological approaches in order for this to be true: my point is simply that your various assertions about Christian theology (it is pernicious, it is pointless) are simply wrong. The "Human reality" of Christian theology is positive in ways that you simply refuse to attempt to grasp. ATJ: Of necessity, the Trinity, as with other theology related to the nature of god, is derived from sources postulating on matters that can't be verified.

The problem, ATJ, is that if you care to investigate morality in any systematic manner, you will find yourself in exactly this position. Which is merely to point out that you are very content not to look at your own inverifiable postulates.

• garyneal
    garyneal

If this helps Sulla or BTS, or any other cranky, theologically superior Trinitarians, I would like to clarify this statement: If your view of theology gives you a viewpoint of god that positively affects your life (esp post JW) more power to you.

Hmmm, if I did not know any better, I would think you are sounding a little cranky yourself. You are just as entitled to your beliefs just as a JW is entitled to his / her beliefs that Christ has been invisibly present since 1914. No proof either way, moving on....

• sizemik
    sizemik

Yeah well . . . I'm a little bit cranky myself.

Now that I've read this thread . . . I wish I hadn't

Now that I have . . . I wouldn't normally bother posting . . . except for one thing.

I "converted" to a JW in my early twenties . . .

And what I read here from a bloke named Sulla . . . is that I'm categorised as intellectually lazy and arrogant for having done so. And this without having any idea of my background or a single clue about the conversion process . . . either from personal experience or an ounce of intellectual understanding.

That makes my opinion of you . . . Sulla . . . as being a pompous, arrogant arsehole who is mesmerised by his own bullshit.

The only solace you give me is that you're stupid enough to trade one set of utter bullshit for another.

Your like DJEggNog on steroids with an extra helping of arrogance that you try to pass of for intellectualism . . .

Go fuck yourself you moron.

• Sulla
    Sulla

Well, seems I've hit a nerve.

I've said that adult conversion to the JWs is a signal of intellectual laziness and arrogance, that it true. Which is to say, all else equal, an adult convert to the JWs is more likely to be both intellectually lazy and arrogant than one who does not convert. Obviously, I have no idea what other problems you have that made the JW message seem plausible to you. But, if my observation that the pathologiees of JW-ism make it especially attractive to the intellectually lazy and arrogant irritates you, well, I guess I'm not necessarily surprised. It is much easier to think that the conversion process was based only on the faults of others and not something unlovely within ourselves: I was a victim, not an accomplice, don't you see?

Unfortunately, your conclusion that I should go fuck myself because of being such a stupid asshole is probably off-topic. As such, I recommend you begin a separate thread to discuss whether the problem is my arrogant self-mesmerization or your lack of intellectual curiosity.

• designs
    designs

Probably the theological mesmerizisms with the Catholic Faith stem from father issues, I mean seriously what Dad teaches his kid to say 'dog shit' rather than Real Cussing, intellectual socializational laziness at its ebb.

• sizemik
    sizemik
    It is much easier to think that the conversion process was based only on the faults of others and not something unlovely within ourselves:

I didn't say that . . . there you go making your arrogant assumptions again.

You've got nowhere near my nerve centre you idiot . . . I'm just here to tell you what an ignorant pompous arsehole you are blathering on about something you know nothing about . . . and then have the arrogance to prattle on with your trinitarian bullshit telling everyone else they know less than you . . . do you get it? . . . or do you want to add hypocrisy to your pathetic arrogance?

You do irritate me slightly though . . . not because of your purile conclusions . . . but simply because of your know-it-all arrogance on something you know nothing about . . . and then being stupid enough to use it as a blanket judgement . . . but you're a "Christian" of sorts I take it . . . so making yourself feel superior by judging others is your stock and trade. Just fire your "unlovely something within yourself" in another direction.

As such, I recommend you begin a separate thread to discuss whether the problem is my arrogant self-mesmerization

I'm discussing your arrogance and pomposity here because it's plastered all over this thread . . . so get used to it.

Unfortunately, your conclusion that I should go fuck myself because of being such a stupid asshole is probably off-topic.

You raised the topic of stupid arseholes by being a stupid arsehole . . . stop being a stupid arsehole and I'll stop telling you to go fuck yourself.

I was a victim, not an accomplice, don't you see?

You've gone from a victim of Mommy to a victim of yourself . . . so don't pull your sympathy card out from under your pompous hat.

Here's a suggestion . . . get someone to read your posts aloud back to you . . . and listen to a pompous arsehole before you go fuck yourself again.

• Sulla
    Sulla

I find using non-bull scatological terms works in some situations. "Bullshit," it seems to me, is hardly a curse at all; it almost seems like a simple description nowadays. "Dogshit," on the other hand, matches a reality that most people are familiar with: they've stepped in it, they have dogs, whatever. This "near-ness" of dogshit makes a categorization more immediate, more real, somehow. I though that would take the ordinary "shit-for-brains" comment directed toward you to a slightly better, meaning less-better, place.

Dad never swore very much, thoroughly JW-ized as he was. Although, in a extraordinarily agitated state, he once told me that Brother X was "too much of a pussy" to stand up against a majority of the body of elders on some issue or other. I was quite shocked.

Anyhow, I don't see where you criticize the cussing ability of whatshisname, up there. Ponce can't even spell "asshole."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit