The Hubble, Yahweh, the Bible, and faith.

by Nickolas 269 Replies latest jw friends

• tec
    tec

What is most of what we teach if not something we have learned from someone else?

Oh agreed. Its more of a giving credit where credit is due, rather than taking it for oneself. (I know you know I didn't come up with that, Nickolas - and I was teasing. But I also felt the need to clarify. Perhaps because for many, it is easier to give credit to the person adhering to the teaching, rather than to the One who taught it - Christ)

Adherence to me is doing something that I might not be disposed to doing otherwise. Like adhering to the speed limit while driving my E-type. If I had my druthers and the conditions were safe, I'd open her up, but instead I adhere to the speed limit. Turning the other cheek is not something one should do because it is mandated somewhere, is it?

I guess that depends. If you WANT to 'open her up' (slap back), then I guess you should adhere to the rule. I believe in the rule - turning the other cheek. But you better believe there are times when I don't want to follow it. It is THOSE times where I am following the teaching NOT because I want to, but because Christ asks and wants me to.

Peace,

Tammy

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

What I admire most about people in here is their honesty. I admire that you easily acknowledge holding yourself back against your baser tendencies, Tammy. I am going to take a tangent just for the benefit of illustration. To answer your question yes, I would fragrantly break the speed limit if I safely could, but these days I do not, but only because my reflexes are not what they once were. In my younger days I broke speed laws fragrantly a few times, each time with a virtually certain safe outcome, and with the admitted benefit of retrospect I can report that nothing went wrong. I understand how that might be perceived as wreckless or irresponsible, given the number of tragic street racing incidents of late. But I only ever pushed the envelope on open highways and almost always alone but sometimes with someone in the other seat - one of the more remarkable times was when a policeman friend showed me the best roads on which to drive at 135 mph undetected while he was at the wheel giving a practical demonstration. He or I might have encountered an unlikely moose or deer on the road but not another human being. In any event we encountered no adverse adventure. Should I feel guilty I did this in my life and will never get to do it again? Just for the record, I don't. Not all laws are just in all circumstances and not all dictated morals are just in all circumstances. When they make sense and you follow them accordingly, then it is not adherence but recognition.

• tec
    tec

Just for the record, I don't. Not all laws are just in all circumstances and not all dictated morals are just in all circumstances.

I agree. Absolutely.

Which is why love for others should always be the underlying factor. Because rules and laws can also be UNjust, in some circumstances.

Peace,

Tammy - who is wondering just how fast 135 mph translates into kmph, lol.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

about 220.

good night :o).

• sizemik
    sizemik
    We all have egos to preserve and they often clash . . .Twitch
    I never understood the need to be insulting or condesending to make a point . . . Psac

I agree unreservedly with both of you.

What I find is that one man's debating manner is another man's insult. The size of the insult is directly proportional to the size of the ego. What I can't understand is why Ego even get's a look-in on an anonymous forum where we can't see each other and will probably never meet. The best the ego can achieve is someone admiring an avatar.

It seems a small price to pay to leave ego at the door for the sake of such stimulating discussion.

If one has a valid point, it will stand on its own merits and no amount of "colourful" language will make any difference.

. . . exactly . . . so why let it? I think we've filled that hole in . . . please continue . . .

• sizemik
    sizemik

Nickolas, I have a question on your return . . .

Are you familiar with Spherical Standing Wave Theory (SSW)?

While it is essentially within the scientific field of nuclear physics . . . it is the nearest I have seen science and religion coming into a possible area of convergence. It also gives additional perspective to the time/space/matter parameters of the physical world . . . and the limitations of the five senses when seeking and evaluating evidence, particularly the deeper mysteries such as human consciousness.

Just wondering.

• The Quiet One
  • Nickolas
    Nickolas

Are you familiar with Spherical Standing Wave Theory (SSW)?

No, I am not, sizemik, but I will be looking into it as part of my ongoing education. Thank you.

I get a "page not found" error when I try your url, TQO.

• Awen
    Awen

I think I will bow out of this topic. It's far beyond my limited education and some of the jargon I don't quite comprehend. I gave my point of view on what I think and that's all I can really do. Anything added to this thread by me would be pure speculation I think.

Awen

• The Quiet One

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit