The Hubble, Yahweh, the Bible, and faith.

by Nickolas 269 Replies latest jw friends

• still thinking
    still thinking

sizemik

I have yet to discover however, how this connection can be positively identified as being with the historical entity who was Christ

I am still trying to get my head around that too. I KNOW there is a god...I am not sure if christ was just a historical figure that people have made an idol of...or....if he in fact was SENT by god.

I still hold back from directly praying to Jesus...because I too do not want to be suckered in to worshiping something that is wrong.

For some reason the thing that still sticks in my mind is the prayer that Jesus gave us when he showed us how to pray..."our father.....etc", but then he also says to ask in His name.

What role does that give Jesus for us? Is he a messenger or a saviour? Do we pray directly to God as he directed or to him?

• sizemik
    sizemik
    Alive and dead. For me, there is still a collossal difference. . . . JGnat
    The difference may be tiny, but profound. . . . JGnat

I'm not pointing to a contradiction per se JGnat . . . because I agree somewhat with both statements

The apparent contradiction however, simply highlights for me, the profundity we attach to mystery. In terms of the Occam's razor principle . . . the difference between living and dead material may still be simply a threshold of organisational complexity. That the complexity is not self-sustaining ad infinitum, may not necessarily attribute any extra qualities over and above the organisational complexity itself.

It's a simpler way of looking at life . . . and somewhat deflating and disappointing, even to me . . . so I hope it's not the case. But the video suggested to me that it is still a genuine possibility.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I thought you were off to play golf ;)

• sizemik
    sizemik
    I thought you were off to play golf ;)

You should be doing some proper research :)

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I plan on it this weekend, but I am developing a three day training class I have to deliver in a week and half and I am behind on getting it done.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

But you still could help me out with a link or two ;)

• sizemik
    sizemik

I'll check my browser and post some links . . . when I get back from Golf

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Danke. Hit em straight.

• Awen
    Awen

@ Still Thinking

I think this might be the answer you are looking for.

Philippians 2:6-11
    New International Version

6 Who, being in very nature God,
    did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,

7 but made himself nothing,taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.

8 And being found in appearance as a man,
    he humbled himself and became obedient to death- even death on a cross!

9 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
    and gave him the name that is above every name,

10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
    in heaven and on earth and under the earth,

11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
    to the glory of God the Father

What is being said here is that it's God's will that we worship and serve Jesus. By doing this we are working in harmony with God's will. Also Jesus tells us that when we pray, we pray to the Father, yet to ask for those things in Jesus's name. This is because they work together. Jesus has the Name above all other names but YHWH's Name is above that of Jesus.

So we are following YHWH's will by serving Jesus and following Jesus' will by praying to the Father through his son.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Oh, but I do love an intelligent exchange. Please, carry on.

(and goodnight)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit