The Hubble, Yahweh, the Bible, and faith.

by Nickolas 269 Replies latest jw friends

• tec
    tec

The statement was made in relation to the perception of Evolution which is constantly promulgated by those who discredit it while knowing very little about it .

No different than statements made in relation to the perception of God and Christ which is constantly promulgated by those who discredit it while knowing very little about it. Based, in the same way, on preconceived bias. That preconceived bias comes from you (speaking in general, here) believing what people and religions teach about God (even if only to dismiss them). You can't look with clear eyes because you are still listening to what they say about the bible, about Christ, about God - people you already believe are wrong.

It would be like me listening to what young earth creationists have to say about evolution.

I will change the statement (yours, Size?) that Shelby was responding to in the hopes of making it more clear:

"If you actually want to understand Christ and God . . . you need to divest your mind of these widely held and constantly promulgated fallacies. Only when you can examine the evidence without the inherent bias of this preconception will you ever begin to understand it."

Peace,

Tammy

• tec
    tec

I haven't watched the video yet, JGnat, but from others comments I am quite eager to do so. I think I have butterflies ;)

Peace,

Tammy

• jay88
    jay88

I don't need to know what your beliefs are, unless we are trying to come to and understanding

I want(ed) to know more so I asked, which is/was on par with the thread.

I want to see how you communicate with others, without using the "christ tag" every interaction.

This "christ tag" has nothing to do with coming to an understanding more than it is a personal preference.

If a person decides to end every post ,(even if the post/thread is about baking a cake) with "White Power", yes it is

distasteful, but if I am interested in that person I will ask questions.

jay,

• sizemik
    sizemik

"If you actually want to understand Christ and God . . . you need to divest your mind of these widely held and constantly promulgated fallacies. Only when you can examine the evidence without the inherent bias of this preconception will you ever begin to understand it."

Tammy . . . you only quoted me in part, which removes the context. But that's ok . . . I'll put it back for you. The part you left out referred to "evidence freely available to all"

I feel I have divested all my preconceptions of God . . . I am a blank page . . . point me to the freely available evidence and I'll examine it. That's what I'm looking for.

Or if you have seen a pre-concieved bias in my posts . . . point me to that also and I'll endeavour to remove it.

I identified the false pre-conception for Awen and to his credit, he could see that . . . from the evidence.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Finally, dear PSacto... the greatest of love and peace to you, dear one. I wish I could say that I ONLY came to know God through love; however, that would not be true in my case. I my case, I came to know Him... through His Son, the Holy One of Israel, JAHESHUA, His Chosen One (MischaJah). And through THAT One... I came to know love. And that God... IS love.

Hi Shel ( love an dpeace to you always my beloved sister) :)

If you ONLY came to know God through Christ, then I ask what is Christ but Love?

As such, you have come to know God only through Love ;)

Love is the Word of God, without Christ there is no love, not the love that sustains us, norishes Us, that frees our spirit.

I know you know that Shel :)

We sometimes forget that Christ's love tends to be felt in different ways, by different people, that is why there is only one path to God ( Christ), but many paths to Christ ( though all of them are based on Love).

• AGuest
    AGuest

Ahh, if only to be able to tear oneself away (may you all have peace!), but the intrigues of the thread are... well, just too intriguing (for all of us, it appears).

In contrast Yahweh, the bible and faith tends towards denying mystery and possibility suggesting that there will always be more of the same

"Yahweh" and the Bible, perhaps, dear SG (peace to you!), but certainly not the Most Holy One of Israel, JAH of Armies... or faith. Faith is FOUNDED on possibility. Faith BELIEVES in the POSSIBILITY... in spite of the fact that what IS possible may not have been beheld. In fact, it believes even more: in the REALITY of that which some believe IMpossible. That it also includes mystery is only due to what has not yet been revealed to the one OF such faith. Until then, "it"... whatever it is... just may BE a mystery; however, faith in the REVEALER of Truth, the Holy One of Israel and Holy Spirit, JAHESHUA, the Chosen One of JAH... allows one to know that it will not REMAIN a mystery. Just as faith in the processes of science leads those with faith in THAT (which I also have, as regards the physical world)... to know the same. In that light, I have always said that science hasn't figured out HOW to access the spiritual... YET... because it does not have the TOOLS to do so... YET. But I do not deny the POSSIBILITY... and, therefore, do not deny the REALITY of such a thing. Others, however, vehemently do!

This "christ tag" has nothing to do with coming to an understanding more than it is a personal preference.

The personal preference lies in whether the one claiming to want to understand is willing to accept the basis, dear Jay (peace to you, dear one, as well!). If you ask ME how I can, in the face of Hubble, etc., still have faith in God... but are unwilling to accept that the BASIS of that faith is Christ... then how can you say you "want" to come to an understanding? Isn't that like me saying I want to understand how we know there are other galaxies out there... and you saying, "Well, Hubble is sending back pictures," and me then responding, "I want to know how you know without using the Hubble-tag"? If Hubble is HOW you know what you now know/believe... how can you tell me what you know/believe... without referring TO it?

point me to the freely available evidence and I'll examine it. That's what I'm looking for.

From where... and whom... may I ask, dear Size (peace to you!) have you heard/read that the evidence WE profess is NOT freely available to ALL? Religion may teach that... and some even say the Bible does, as well. The latter, however, is not true at all. The Bible says that such evidence is available to ALL... and will NOT be withheld from ANY who ask for it. Which is what TRUE believers say, as well! It is only UNbelievers (including those who claim to be believers)... who believe... and teach... such limitations.

The PROBLEM, however, is that some who ask want a specific KIND of evidence... and will accept nothing else. Like Thomas, who said, "I will NOT believe... UNLESS I see the holes." Seeing Christ himself wasn't enough - he had to see the marks made by the nails. Which is interesting to me on two (2) levels: one, that even though Christ himself was standing there before him... the fact that he COULDN'T believe had to be on HIM. It had to be that HE just couldn't ALLOW himself to believe unless the FORM of evidence that HE personally needed was provided. Second, that so many unbelievers use this very account and say, "Well, Thomas needed more!"... while denying belief in Christ at all. How can Thomas' account be valid... if Christ himself is false? Isn't, then, the account invalid as well? Even so, while Thomas received what HE requested, he was told that it would NOT occur that way afterward, yes? So how is one part of the account valid while the other invalid?

Several of us here have offered what constitutes the evidence - that you and others CHOOSE... to REJECT... the FORM of evidence... is on you. But it would be NO different from one of US saying, as dear Awen (the greatest of love and peace to you, dear one!) intimated: can I personally perform any of the experiments that scientists perform in order to know FOR MYSELF that what they say is true? Of course, I can't. So, I have to TRUST those who say THEY performed such experiments and that the results ARE as they say. That, as dear Awen stated, is a form of FAITH - YOU did not "behold" the results... but only READ/HEARD about them... through the accounts of those who DID so behold them.

And, of course, the question would be, "Well, why would they LIE?" Surely, we all know some of them have; yet, you do not reject the findings, opinions, or experiences of them ALL. In the same vein, I can understand, given the history, conduct, and overall track record... why it would be prudent to reject RELIGION; however, at least 2-3 of the believers who've responded here have stated that they have absolutely nothing to do with religion... or what it teaches/believes.

Unlike dear Nick (the greatest of love and peace to you, as well!), however, most of the non-believers cannot ALLOW themselves to live... and let live. Which, IMHO, makes them not much different from the "religious." Like the latter, the former chide, deride, ridicule, belittle, berate... and often verbally abuse... those who think/believe different than them, including those who beliefs are even different from religion. And so, I've learned, as I have often stated, there really isn't that much difference, if any at all: both are polar ends, unwilling to even entertain, let alone tolerate, anything different than their own paradigm.

Which is, IMHO, hypocrisy. You cry to others to "open" their minds... yet, you keep your own shut like bear traps (in spite of your claims to want to know). Some say that faith does not allow for possibility... yet, faith in ROOTED in possibility. Faith says IT IS POSSIBLE for man to be resurrected; however, that POSSIBILITY... is based on EVIDENCE: others have been resurrected! Now, that some reject the RECORD... is, IMHO, NO different than "creationists" who reject the scientific record that the earth is older than THEY believe.

When you're in the middle, however, and your mind and thinking are BALANCED... you realize that God does not cancel out science... nor does science cancel out God. SOME science cancels SOME things SAID about God. And SOME things said about that which is spiritual cancels out SOME of what is said by science. But NEITHER completely cancel out the other.

And when the world of mankind realizes this... that BOTH are truth, just different forms of it because it relates to different REALMS... perhaps they will stop trying to show each other ENTIRELY wrong... and instead learn to live together and accept that which is physical AND that which is spiritual can and DOES... exist TOGETHER.

Unfortunately, if discussions here are any indication, that's not really something we can realistically look forward to... on our own.

Dear, dear tec... the greatest of love and peace to you, my dear! Thank you for trying to clarify, truly.

Dear Paul... the greatest of love and peace to you, as well, and... yes... I understand and agree.

Again, I bid you all peace!

A slave of Christ... which I state so that I don't ever forget that and lose sight of the TRUTH... that the sheep are his, not mine... so that, as HIS slave... a position I willingly volunteered for... out of gratitude... I ralways emember that am also THEIR servant...

SA

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

aguest

In contrast Yahweh, the bible and faith tends towards denying mystery and possibility suggesting that there will always be more of the same

"Yahweh" and the Bible, perhaps, dear SG (peace to you!), but certainly not the Most Holy One of Israel, JAH of Armies... or faith. Faith is FOUNDED on possibility. Faith BELIEVES in the POSSIBILITY... in spite of the fact that what IS possible may not have been beheld. In fact, it believes even more: in the REALITY of that which some believe IMpossible. That it also includes mystery is only due to what has not yet been revealed to the one OF such faith. Until then, "it"... whatever it is... just may BE a mystery; however, faith in the REVEALER of Truth, the Holy One of Israel and Holy Spirit, JAHESHUA, the Chosen One of JAH... allows one to know that it will not REMAIN a mystery. Just as faith in the processes of science leads those with faith in THAT (which I also have, as regards the physical world)... to know the same. In that light, I have always said that science hasn't figured out HOW to access the spiritual... YET... because it does not have the TOOLS to do so... YET. But I do not deny the POSSIBILITY... and, therefore, do not deny the REALITY of such a thing. Others, however, vehemently do!

excellent clarification aguest and I agree wholeheartedly.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

I'm beginning to feel like a cog in the wheel of this thread, mostly because I'm revelling in the conversation without adding too much to it. Really first class dialogue coming from, well, pretty good brains. I am struck by this statement from sizemik:

I feel I have divested all my preconceptions of God . . . I am a blank page . . . point me to the freely available evidence and I'll examine it. That's what I'm looking for.

That's exactly it. If you roll your eyes when you hear that word repeated over and over again then it could be that you don't get how important it is to me and likeminded folk. If you are going to convince me that God created everything rather than me accepting what on the face of evidence is a much better explanation for the beginning and existence of life on Earth then you will need more than an ancient book and cherished beliefs. It's not defiance. It's a gently offered fact about me. I perceive that the Christians who have contributed to this thread get great joy out of what they believe and they generously want us to feel the same joy they do. The same hope and love they do. I appreciate that. But the happiest mindset I've ever had in my longish life is the one I have now because I feel closer to understanding reality than I have ever been. I'd like everyone to have this kind of peace of mind, but that doesn't mean I'd like everyone to think the same way I do. How dull would that be? Shelby taught me a lesson a number of months back about the dangers of bursting somebody's bubble. If someone truly loves being a Christian (or some flavour of Christian as much as each claims to be the one true flavour, like a Jehovah's Witness) it might be ill-advised to convince them of an alternative reality. And, what right is it of mine to destroy someone's happiness? Surely, none whatsoever. You, as an individual, were born, grew up into adulthood and now you are living out the rest of your life. You may still be in your 20's and have a whole lot ahead of you to learn, but you still might be young enough to resent being reminded of that. You may be in your 30's or 40's and are cognisant of the large volume of what you have learned but you still may not have an understanding of your mortality. I'm in my 60th year. I'm smarter today than I was yesterday, but not as smart as I will be tomorrow.

I watched jgnat's video and it's actually pretty good and certainly germaine to the OP. It stretches the imagination enough so that one can just barely almost perceive of life happening spontaneously and how it is inevitable given the trillions upon trillions upon trillions upon trillions of environments that exist in the universe. Complexity from simplicity. If the big bang happened roughly 13.7 billion years ago (for the sake of argument, whether or not an intelligent being set it off and ignoring that it begs a different layer of the question) and the Earth formed and cooled sufficiently about 10 billion years later, how many similar environments formed and cooled a billion years earlier? How many others formed and cooled in between and how many others are forming and cooling still? The statistical answer is unknown because the base case has not yet been defined, and that is where we find ourselves in this thread. Some say God did it and the earth is a very special place. From a statistical standpoint when I consider the vastness of the universe I begin to perceive that it happened because it was inevitable.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    From a statistical standpoint when I consider the vastness of universe I begin to perceive that it happened because it was inevitable.

Why was it inevitable?

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

That's what you don't see, Paul.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit