As A JW Were You Generally Feeling Guilty Over One Thing Or Another?

by minimus 21 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I believe the Witnesses keep people in the cult by means of using guilt as a tool. It seems people who leave the religion tend to stop using meds and anti-depressants. ExJWs seem more content and less filled with worry and guilt.

What do you think?

• Botzwana
    Botzwana

I always felt guilty over one thing or another. Never happy in the org.

• Billzfan23
    Billzfan23

Always...I even remember when the twin towers fell 10 years ago - my first thought was not a normal human reaction - it was guilt and worry about how close the big A was and how I was gonna die.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

There was always guilt.

Guilt about masturbating, guilt about sneeking a few beers, guilt about getting shitfaced drunk, guilt about taking a couple hits off a doobie, guilt about feeling girls' tits, guilt about slipping them the finger, guilt about getting a blowjob, guilt about screwing my girlfriend......

Now I know it's just the everyday growing up phase.

DOC

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

yes!!!! I now watch movies that have sexually inappropriate jokes and I laugh instead of turning it off!!! Noticed that yesterday "don't mess with the Zoan" so funny

FS

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

Yes! This was it for me. I was so upset with who i was because the organisation told me that im sick in Jehovahs eyes. When i left, i started to feel good and happy.

Best anti-depressant - Leave the organisation that is making you feel depressed. Simple!

Timmy xxx

• meangirl
    meangirl

Yep all the time. So glad not to feel that way anymore.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I was just thinking about this today . One of the main reasons I faded away from the meetings was not so much because I didn't believe they had the truth I just couldn't stand being so unhappy . I was so sad because i always felt guilty ,even when I had not done anything wrong . Whenever I was part of a group either at work ,or at the KH ,and the Elders gave a reprimanding talk or my boss came down on the sales staff for weak performance ....I always felt it was my fault ....how crazy is that ??? I now know ,after being out for 6 yrs that it WAS the Watchtower influence that caused these feelings .

I no longer have those guilt feelings and I no longer suffer from episodes of depression like I did then . I feel happy now ,genuine,normal ...

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I have always said my #1 emotion growing up was GUILT.

• Ilovebirthdays
    Ilovebirthdays

I think if JW's were more mainstream the phrase wouldn't be "Catholic guilt", it would be "JW guilt". 13 years out, I don't belive a single thing the JW religion has to offer, but I can still feel guilty about everything.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit