Critique of the October 1 Watchtower article"When Was Ancient Jerusalem Destroyed?"

by Doug Mason 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

My Critique of the October 1, 2011 Watchtower article "When Was Ancient Jerusalem Destroyed?" is available at

http://www.jwstudies.com/Critique_of_When_Was_Ancient_Jerusalem_Destroyed.pdf

I am looking forward to hearing of correction or omissions.

Please note that this is a large file (almost 7 Meg) which takes a while to download and a while to format in a web browser.

The design of the Critique allows a single major topic to be individually printed, so that those pages may be handed to an apologist for the Watchtower Society. In those circumstances, the Critique needs to be printed single sided.

Doug

• 3Mozzies
    3Mozzies

Thanks so much for your great effort Doug

[Downloading it now]

3M

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

I have to advise a correction:

Page 33: the correct title of Depuydt's article is "More Precious than All Gold"

Page 34, footnote 42: the correct title of Depuydt's article is "More Precious than All Gold"

I have corrected the online file.

Apologies,

Doug

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Please remove the (meaningless) bullet point at the bottom of page 2.

The corrected file is online.

Doug

• St George of England
    St George of England

An incredible piece of work! Many thanks for posting.

I hope you (or someone in the US) will send a copy to the GB/Writing committee.

George

• Listener
    Listener

Awesome work Doug.

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Thanks.

If it helps just one person, it will be worthwhile.

Doug

• Alfred
    Alfred

Doug... excellent work... many thanks for taking the time to put it together.

Last year I sent a letter to Brooklyn asking them to clarify which king the Jews were serving between 539 and 537... after 5 months I received a reply which completely dodged my question.

Just prior to receiving their ambiguous response, I sent another letter drawing attention to a 1968 Watchtower article that lists the neo-babylonian kings. I never received a response to that one.

But isn't it interesting how these 2 "public" articles (Oct 1 & Nov 1) about the date of Jerusalem's destruction actually "sandwich in" the Oct 15 Study Edition which contains a Questions From Readers discussion about what JWs should do when they have a question... in a nutshell, the Society has apparently decided that they are "no longer in a position to analyze or answer any questions that have not been considered in our literature"... I believe "Cedars" posted a thread recently about this...

So any future letters to the Society asking about Neo-Babylonian chronology or Jerusalem's destruction will automatically receive a response referring the inquisitive JW to these two "public" articles... specific questions will likely not be answered either as they will simply ask the questioning JW to read these articles and find the answer there... if they still have questions or doubts, it will simply be because they are spiritually weak, puffed up with pride or just plain mentally deseased... they really have information control down to a science, don't they?

• cantleave
    cantleave

Doug - Thank you so much for putting this together. It is clear, understandable and logically presented. Awesome!

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Downloading now, will read later. Thank you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit