"Forged" by Bart Ehrman

by Dagney 133 Replies latest jw friends

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

PS have you read his last four books?

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Interesting to see how many people have an "opinion" about the writer but how few have actually read the book. Funny that those who criticized his writings as opinion have not read the book and still they state their "opinion" about it.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I have read Forged, Lost Christianities and Misquoting Jesus.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

From the debates I have seen he tends to appeal NOT the the believer that knows where he ( Bart) is right, but to the non-believer that wants to show believers they are wrong.

In my own case, he didn't just show me that I was wrong. He proved it. I was dead wrong in my belief about the manuscripts from which The Bible was produced.

If a believer is NOT wrong, he or she has nothing to fear.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I have read all of them except Forged, haven't picked that one up yet.

In my own case, he didn't just show me that I was wrong. He proved it. I was dead wrong in my belief about the manuscripts from which The Bible was produced.

Now I have to ask this, HOW did he prove it?

Did you take his word for it or did you read the answers to the points he raises also?

Or when you say prove do you mean just that the bible was written by Man?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Just to be clear I have read:

Misquoting Jesus

Jesus interupted

Lost Christianities

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I just wanna make it clear that it is NOT the message I have issues with, but HOW Bart is expressing it.

He almost tries to imply that since the bible is not ineerant that Christianity is somehow invalid.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Now I have to ask this, HOW did he prove it?

Prior to reading the book, I had no idea that hundreds (or thousands) discrepancies exist among the best available texts that we have. Nor, did I realize that our best texts are copies of copies of copies of copies. Further, I didn't realize how little evidence there is to support the idea that the original texts were written SOON after the events took place.

None of these things matter if one has faith that God preserved the text, or even if you have faith that God preserved the intent/meaning of the texts.

Whatever faith I may have had was based upon the TEXTS. Can you imagine how this book was a game changer for me, given this?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

PSacramento: I think you and Bart both agree that many flavors of Christianity are invalid.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Prior to reading the book, I had no idea that hundreds (or thousands) discrepancies exist among the best available texts that we have. Nor, did I realize that our best texts are copies of copies of copies of copies. Further, I didn't realize how little evidence there is to support the idea that the original texts were written SOON after the events took place.

Have you read the counters to all those points?

PSacramento: I think you and Bart both agree that many flavors of Christianity are invalid.

The only christianity that I would find invalid would be one that goes against the direct teachings of Christ as we have them ( since all christianity claims to come from those teachings).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit