Top 10 JW Beliefs

by OnTheWayOut 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I will post a serious list of the beliefs that make JW's unique. But I want your thoughts, including anything weird like "Beards are evil" or that "Smurfs are from the Devil."

The Top 10 JW Beliefs:

10. Jesus is Michael the Archangel who came to earth as a man.

9. Jesus already had his "second coming." He returned to earth invisibly in 1914 and has been here ever since.

8. The New World Translation is the world's most accurate Bible, having restored God's name where it had been removed in the New Testament. Holy Spirit guided men to be waaaaaaay more accurate in translation than any expertise in ancient Hebrew or Greek could provide people.

7. There are two classes of true Christians, the 144,000 "anointed" who will rule in heaven with Michael and the "other sheep" who will form "the great crowd" that will live forever on a paradise earth. (After 1914, only the annointed go to heaven when they die. Anointed before 1914 waited in the ground, totally dead. Everyone else who died/dies waits in the ground for a resurrection and/or judgement.)

6. Eating or transfusing "whole" blood is a terrible sin against God, one of the worst. (Modified down over the years to allow "fractions.") Better to let your child die in a hospital than to have lifesaving whole blood transfused into them. It's all crystal clear from the Bible, yet unique to Jehovah's Witnesses.

5. Political neutrality is a must because all governments belong to Satan. This means no voting and no military service, no pledges of allegiance or flag salutes.

4. Jesus was nailed to an upright stake and not a cross. The cross is an object of idolatry and is worshipped.

3. Holidays and birthday celebrations are pagan, idolatrous, not from the Bible: Therefore, they are wrong.

2. There is only one true religion- The Jehovah's Witnesses are that one.

1. Salvation can only be attained by being in the one true religion, "The Truth." Oh, this one leads to lip service that they are not judging outsiders and only God can make that determination about "right-hearted" people. But they really truly teach that all others are misled by Satan and will be lost to him if they don't see the truth from Jehovah's Witnesses. Maybe people who have already died as non-JW can be resurrected (what salvation leads to), but all non-JW's will be judged and executed at Armageddon which will occur any minute now.

I know that Number One encompassed a bunch of belief in a single submission. But it all is tied together. Please add your unique beliefs and modify the list any way you like to suit what you think is better.

I considered merging Number 7 into Number 2, but most JW's seem to feel that Number 2 stands alone.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Jesus summed it all up with love God and neighbour.

I don't claim to be Jesus but this is how I sum it all up as simply as possible......

All 10 are - Obey the Governing Body or Jehovah will lovingly murder us SOON*

*(Terms and conditions apply and are subject to 'overlapping' or ‘New Light’™or which ever makes the GB look much higher than God!)

• Lore
    Lore

Seventh day Adventists also believe that Jesus and Michael are the same critter.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Thank you, Punkofnice and Lore. Maybe we can throw out Number 10 and replace it with "A group of men known as the Governing Body are guided by Holy Spirit and everything they say must be obeyed/believed."

• N.drew
    N.drew

Another belief they have: It is God's pleasure that the world be destroyed.

(Even though Jesus came for the world to be saved through him.)

AND

(even though Revelation 11:18 says He will destroy them who destroy Earth)

I have an idea, instead of putting down the lie constantly, why not put up the truth?

In case you believe "there is no truth", then are you not worse than a liar?

Man truth will say "Can't do it, If we use the lie to promote the truth then they might

feel justified, we hate them that much, we want them to suffer" Is that correct?

Can anyone else see both sides saying the exact same thing?

• simon17
    simon17

You'd have to put something about the requirement of door-to-door preaching work for ALL of the members. Its JW's most distinctive quality.

Believing Jerusalem was destroyed by Babylon in 607 BCE is something literally unique to JWs. No other group in the world believes that.

Their bizarre in between status on creation is also pretty unique. Garden of Eden, Noah = real. Creative days = symbols. The mess of theology and science is so twisted. Probably not deserving of the list but most religions go one way or the other.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo
    Another belief they have: It is God's pleasure that the world be destroyed.

Sorry, N.drew, but their teaching, as I know it, is the direct opposite of that, i.e. that the world will NOT be destroyed but will stand for ever.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Revised for comments so far. I merged Number 1 and 2 to leave room for what I consider to be an important one, listed as Number 10:

The Top 10 JW Beliefs:

10. Smoking (primarily tobacco but smoking anything) is about the worst sin one can commit, and should have been listed in the 11th commandment.

9. A group of men known as the Governing Body are guided by Holy Spirit and everything they say must be obeyed/believed.

8. Jesus already had his "second coming." He returned to earth invisibly in 1914 and has been here ever since.

7. The New World Translation is the world's most accurate Bible, having restored God's name where it had been removed in the New Testament. Holy Spirit guided men to be waaaaaaay more accurate in translation than any expertise in ancient Hebrew or Greek could provide people.

6. There are two classes of true Christians, the 144,000 "anointed" who will rule in heaven with Michael and the "other sheep" who will form "the great crowd" that will live forever on a paradise earth. (After 1914, only the annointed go to heaven when they die. Anointed before 1914 waited in the ground, totally dead. Everyone else who died/dies waits in the ground for a resurrection and/or judgement.) ALL TRUE CHRISTIANS MUST BE INVOLVED IN DECLARING THE GOOD NEWS OF THE KINGDOM BY "PLACING" WATCHTOWER LITERATURE WITH PEOPLE IN A DOOR-TO-DOOR WORK.

5. Eating or transfusing "whole" blood is a terrible sin against God, one of the worst. (Modified down over the years to allow "fractions.") Better to let your child die in a hospital than to have lifesaving whole blood transfused into them. It's all crystal clear from the Bible, yet unique to Jehovah's Witnesses.

4. Political neutrality is a must because all governments belong to Satan. This means no voting and no military service, no pledges of allegiance or flag salutes.

3. Jesus was nailed to an upright stake and not a cross. The cross is an object of idolatry and is worshipped.

2. Holidays and birthday celebrations are pagan, idolatrous, not from the Bible: Therefore, they are wrong.

1. There is only one true religion- The Jehovah's Witnesses are that one. Salvation can only be attained by being in the one true religion, "The Truth." All non-JW's will be judged and executed at Armageddon which will occur any minute now, because God is ready to take the pleasure of destroying the earth and all non-JW's.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Destroying "the earth" is meant to be "destroying the present system of things on earth" and not the planet. It's "the people." All JW literature shows death and destruction of property and buildings, but not the planet itself.

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

Yeah dont smoke, but drinking 20 cups of coffee a day is ok, as is being addicted to prescription painkillers (nothing to do with those who take painkillers for chronic pain).....oh and having a kiss and cuddle with men when your a man, in private, but its ok, the music that was playing at the time Jesus would approve of.Just dont tell your wife or confess to the Elders.... I caught them!!!! (Totally naked, while John Denver was playing)

Wearing wedding rings.

Celebrating anniversaries they deem to be non-pagan.

Women are not allowed to wear trousers.

Men are not to have beards. Except, in all the illistrations in the WT and Awake..JESUS had a beard.

You must not have sexual intercourse on a Friday.

fed up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit