What if....

by factfinder 31 Replies latest jw friends

• factfinder
    factfinder

What if the gb somehow finally did admit they were wrong about 607 and 1914- what percentage of publishers do you think would remain active?

• cantleave
    cantleave

Most would just say "where else could we go?" and maintain the status quo!

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

It would have NO effect on more than 90% of the publishers.

I once had a conversation with a JW, and he admitted this: "Even is 1914 is a few years off, it doesn't matter. It's still the Truth. Where else would we go?"

It's not about DOCTRINE.

Have you read Steve Hassan's first book?

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

New light keeps getting brighter and brighter and they would all say "how exciting this new light is" and "how close the end must really be now."

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

This years convention highlighted 1914 in several talks. They are going to hold on to it. To answer your question I think 20% would leave.

SIAM

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Witnesses aren't about previous teachings, it's about fearing death. Most religions require you to die to discover if they are right or not. Witnesses are cocky enough to say "You'll never die, you'll keep living right into eternal life"

For people that fear death, it's a great hope. After they grow old on empty promises and changing teachings, I'm sure most old witnesses just shurg and think "well I spent this much in, I guess I might as well be faithful to the end"

If they ever take away the "end is just around the corner" teaching they would lose more members than any change to "old light"

• fade_away
    fade_away

"That's our story and we're sticking to it" - GB

• factfinder
    factfinder

@leavingwt- no- I have never been able to obtain a copy of Steven Hassan's or Ray Franz books and the library is too far for me to get to.

@SIAM- so if only 20% of the publishers would leave, they really don't have to worry about how far from 1914 we get, or even come up with new generation teachings. Most publishers will remain no matter what.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

@leavingwt- no- I have never been able to obtain a copy of Steven Hassan's or Ray Franz books and the library is too far for me to get to.

Please elaborate. Are you unable to have the book shipped to your home?

• factfinder
    factfinder

@leavingwt- I cannot afford any of the books. I once ordered "COC" when my financial situation was better, but the order was cancelled as the book was out of stock. So I just accepted a refund. Now, I can no longer afford any books.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit