What if....

by factfinder 31 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82

They've changed the definition of "generation" 3 times in 15 years.

They've changed the definition of what fractions of blood are acceptable countless times.

They've changed the date of 1935 as the "cutoff" for selection of newly anointed "ones".

Why would a change of a date nearly 100 years in the past make a bit of difference?

As one poster used to write: "You could have a float in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade carrying Governing Body members sodomizing young boys, and most JWs would say "But it's still the truth!!!"

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

@leavingwt- I cannot afford any of the books. I once ordered "COC" when my financial situation was better, but the order was cancelled as the book was out of stock. So I just accepted a refund. Now, I can no longer afford any books.

Well, I hope your economic situation improves. Times are tough, for sure. If you do come into some money, your total cost will be a little less than seventeen dollars for these two books.

Without these two books, much of the WT world would be a mystery to me. I learned a lot.

Crisis of Conscience by Ray Franz

$7.95 PDF Download: http://www.commentarypress.com/Detail/eng_crisis_e.html

Combatting Cult Mind Control by Steve Hassan

$8.45 Used Paperback: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0892813113/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1314139799&sr=8-1&condition=used

• sizemik
    sizemik

@Paralipomenon . . . I think you summed up the average JW mindset and reaction to change perfectly.

• factfinder
    factfinder

@leavingwt- thanks! I hope my situation changes soon, for the better! If the time comes that I can afford those books I will get them.

The wts has such a hold on its members- I guess no doctrinal change would have a major impact on most publishers. Unless they gave up worshipping Jehovah, perhaps?

• discreetslave
    discreetslave

Most are too scared to consider the possibility that the organization is wrong.

factfinder you have a PM

• No Room For George
    No Room For George
    This years convention highlighted 1914 in several talks. They are going to hold on to it. To answer your question I think 20% would leave.
    SIAM

This is what I was thinking. I believe that anywhere from 15 to 30% of active JWs including ones with titles such as CO, elder, ministerial servant, either know and have investigated that there's something wrong, or have a very strong feeling that something is wrong. In 2010, there was 1,178,349 peak publishers in the U.S.. I'm assuming Western money is their chief cash cow, and if 20-30% of JW's were to be stumbled over them reversing this teaching on 607, or really any major teaching such as blood, disfellowshipping, Babylon the Great, it would have a traumatic effect on the other 900,000 who remained active in the US. Not to mention other educated coutries, such as the UK, France, heck even the countries in South America. It would be devastating financially, and emotionally if that many people, anywhere from a quarter to a 1/3, simply ceased being active JWs, it would be crippling. That's why, its never going to happen.

I have a glimmer of hope that it will considering them about to cash in on almost a billion dollars when they sell their land, and them creating a new headquarters in the middle of nowhere. They're getting prepared to weather the storm, and maybe they'll be sympathetic and leave it up to one's conscience on matters such as 607, Blood, Babylon the Great, the FAithful and Discreet Slave, etc.? Maybe they will, or maybe they'll remain the arrogant, refuse to admit their wrong, pompous assholes they've always been. Time will tell, I guess.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

What if....

They never mention 1914 again. What would happen?

The old timers will continue to believe until they die. The newbes would never know.

I propose that at some near future date they will never mention 1914 again.

• factfinder
    factfinder

I would think they should downplay 1914 and not mention it anymore.

• factfinder
    factfinder

discreetslave-thank you! I sent you a pm too.

• factfinder
    factfinder

@ No Room For George- I agree that they could not afford to lose to many members from the lands where most donations come from, such as the US. They would really be trapped then, unable to make major changes to fix the wrong doctrines and policies even if they wanted to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit