Earthquake

by Billzfan23 95 Replies latest jw friends

• OneDayillBeFree
    OneDayillBeFree

Well I was at my Regular piosneer school, reading JWN on my iphone on my lap under the "Becoming Illuminators to the World" book or whatever its called to pass the time faster, and then all of the sudden I start feeling the ground shake...

At first I thought it was the brother/sister behind me shaking my chair with their foot but then it got worse and the lights flickered and the walls shook a little.

This cute chick on my far left, who is actually pretty cool -she lives a double life like me, except she still believes its the "truth"- looks at me and literally mouths the words "WTF is going on?" (hahaha So much for being the spiritual elites) and I quickly respond with a whisper saying "ItsArmageddon!"

Then the Instructor, this old brother who cant hear worth a damn and is only there cause he gave his whole life to the cult, looks at all of us and says, there is no need to panic brothers... Dont you believe in the resurrection...

What made it more funny was when the session ended, he was outside on his cell phone calling who knows who trying to make sure everyone was still alive... hahaha what a day it was...

• elderelite
    elderelite

HAHAHA!!!!!! I knew it!!!! Vindication!!!!! I'm really sorry all of you are going to be dying soon as I'm sure this marks God's great and fear inspiring day is near at hand, but as an elder appointed by holy spirit I'm SURE I'm going to be OK! IT is a tragedy but I will remember you all fondly, and I'm deeply sorry that my efforts to restore you all to god's favor was unsuccessful. BTW, my panda, which I am sure I am soon to receive now, shall be name "Bruce". Bruce and I will silently and privately mourn you all.

Seriously, glad everyone is well. Bruce and I are praying for you all

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I'm going to call my pet shark, Bruce:

• elderelite
    elderelite

Lol bp!! I laughed at nemos fish loving great white beimg named bruce after the mechanical shark in jaws :-) and that is in fact why i am naming my soon to be received panda bruce :-D

• sd-7
    sd-7

In hindsight, I now realize it was really just some IT guys playing 'Quake' on the company LAN... Also, I quickly realized once I got outside that we were all most certainly doomed if the quake brought any buildings down--nothing but tall buildings for a 3-block radius. I just wasn't entirely sure if it might've been a terrorist attack or something. Besides, if it had been an actual emergency, I probably never would've even made it out of the building, we were going down the stairs so slowly.

But it was only mildly disconcerting. I feel like there was a lot of knee-jerk reaction in this area. I do think caution and inspection were needed on the buildings, but otherwise, nothing to worry about. It's more psychological than anything else.

Also, was Bruce the panda a baby, a few years back? The Wonder Pets saved a baby panda who was eating bamboo, he ate more than a few, and got stuck in a tree, and his tummy hurt too!

Anyway, the important thing is, all is well. Armageddon hasn't arrived, by the way. Oops, wrong thread for that...

--sd-7

• Quendi
    Quendi

Thanks for the hazard maps, ziddina. As for the bedrock information, I had understood the same way you did about liquefaction and how bedrock resisted that. But I had read something to the contrary elsewhere that I can't recall. I'll try to locate it. New York is still a high hazard zone, however. The middle of the city has been built in an area where liquefaction is most likely. I wouldn't want to be in that part of town if a big tremblor struck.

Quendi

• ziddina
    ziddina

Hi, Quendi!!

I'm wondering whether the information you read, was discussing the phenomenon roughly called "unzipping" of faults...

If a fault line "unzips" in granite, as opposed to "unzipping" in sandstone/shale/limestone, I would think that the tougher rock - granite - would tend to 'dampen' the vibratory effect of the quake - a subsurface similarity to what happens on the surface between sand/landfill/high water table liquifaction-prone ground, and ground underlain by much more solid bedrock...

However, if you find info from the USGS that states that an earthquake originating in granite would be more destructive than one originating in, say, sedimentary rock, I would LOVE to read that!!

One other point - to say that a fault will "unzip" in granite is usually not possible, unless we're talking about an earthquake originating on a fault line in the Canadian Shield area, for example. I make that statement because the earth's crust isn't really homogenous - it's a combination of many types of rock, frequently all jumbled together...

Another factor - it would probably take far more stored energy - force - to generate an earthquake along a 'stuck' fault in a granitic 'shield' area, as fault lines in granitic rock are probably less 'lubricated' - again, as opposed to sedimentary rocks, which will crumble and give way much faster and more easily than granitic rocks... Which would increase the frequency of quakes [in sedimentary rocks or rocks that crumble more easily], but would probably reduce the intensity, because the stresses causing the quake would not be able to build up [to an extremely high, dangerous level...] before the fault line 'snaps', and the pressures are released by crumbling, snapping rock.

And THAT may be what you read about...??

Also, to say that the 'basement' rocks are "all" granitic or "all" sedimentary - that hypothetical situation is LESS likely - but this ALSO depends on the depth at which the earthquake originates - because, if we're talking about relatively "shallow" earthquakes, their point of origin would probably occur in MIXED rock...

But there again, it depends on where the earthquake originates... An earthquake that originates along the Death Valley Fault system, for example, could occur at depths of up to 9,000 feet - almost two miles - and still occur in the sediments filling the valley. Of course, along that fault line, most earthquakes WILL occur due to movement in the underlying bedrock - but just using that as an example that the depth that the earthquake occurs may determine the type of rock that the 'break' or movement occurs in...

Phew! I hope that was clearer than mud...

About earthquakes in general... As you stated earlier, many people don't realize that they're actually living in an earthquake-hazard zone. But while we're on the subject, the science of seismology - "fault-finding" - [I COULDN'T resist that one!!] - is not so far advanced as to be able to determine where ALL the faults are, or for that matter, exactly when the fault line - more accurately, fault line SEGMENT - last 'broke' or moved or generated a significant earthquake... [Mind you, using carbon 14 and argon dating and other methods, they can usually get a pretty good idea...]

But that's if they realize that the fault line is THERE.... Sometimes no one knows that there's an active or dangerous fault line present [though this is happening less frequently, nowadays, as the science of seismology advances...]

So, for someone living in, uhm, well, I'm going to pick on the "Canadian Shield" again, which is somewhat more stable than many other areas of the planet. For someone living on the "Canadian Shield" area, there might be a significant fault line that no-one has discovered yet, that becomes 'unstuck' and generates a significant earthquake...

Humans tend to 'play the odds', regarding natural disasters; but personally, I'd have a LOT more respect for the human race if we as a whole would build all structures on Planet Earth as "earthquake-resistant".

You'll notice that I didn't say, "Earthquake-proof".... In my opinion, the only dwelling that could possibly be considered semi-earthquake-'proof', would be some sort of tent - perhaps a yurt - except that one would still have to deal with falling wooden cross-beams that support the tent.

But at least it would be better than having to dig out from under tons of masonry...

Zid

• sizemik
    sizemik
    that is in fact why i am naming my soon to be received panda bruce :-D

What a strange coincidence . . . I already have a body part by that name.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    Oh, and sorry for not writing you, Jamie--I was distracted once I got home, and a little obsessed with trying to fix the computer. Let's hope nothing screws it up again. I hope I can print stuff at home once more. Maybe I can scan something I'd been meaning to send you quite soon. We'll see.....
    --sd-7

Oh, oh, what is it? I think I knw what it is and I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!

HAHAHA!!!!!! I knew it!!!! Vindication!!!!! I'm really sorry all of you are going to be dying soon as I'm sure this marks God's great and fear inspiring day is near at hand, but as an elder appointed by holy spirit I'm SURE I'm going to be OK! IT is a tragedy but I will remember you all fondly, and I'm deeply sorry that my efforts to restore you all to god's favor was unsuccessful. BTW, my panda, which I am sure I am soon to receive now, shall be name "Bruce". Bruce and I will silently and privately mourn you all.

I thought a super fine apostle such as yourself would want a lion, tiger, or ohhhhhhhhhhh, a bad ass black panther with amber eyes, LOL!

• talesin
    talesin

haven't felt here yet, though thinkin' of y'all ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit