Earthquake

by Billzfan23 95 Replies latest jw friends

• Quendi
    Quendi

Most people don't know that the northeastern United States as well as Canada's Maritime Provinces and Gaspé Peninisula is an earthquake zone on the same order as the more famous ones on North America's West Coast. The difference is that it hasn't been as active in historical times. Should a big one strike New York City, deaths would probably run into the hundreds of thousands. It's not just because the building codes don't mandate taking quakes into account, but also because of the underlying bedrock. It is extremely hard and a major quake would cause it to shatter. So the damage would be extensive and massive.

Another earthquake zone that doesn't get much mention is the New Madrid fault along the Mississippi River in Missouri. The last major tremblor there was 200 years ago in 1811. A major quake now would wreck St. Louis and Memphis for sure and more than likely scores of other towns and cities. The death toll would be significant there as well. Of course, when it comes to earthquakes, there's no place on our planet's surface that is immune.

Today's quakes in the American Northeast as well as in southern Colorado and northern New Mexico were notable because there have been so few there in historical times. Geologically, it's another story, particularly in Colorado and New Mexico. The area in those states that was hit today is littered with many extinct volcanoes and calderas. The second largest rift valley on the planet--only the Great Rift Valley running from Syria to Mozambique is bigger--lies in the region. West of Albuquerque, New Mexico lies one of the most extensive lava fields in the lower 48 flanking both sides of I-40. I myself have visited some of the old volcanoes in Colorado and New Mexico. They're quiet now, but should they ever awaken...

I'm out here in northern Colorado along with Magwitch and didn't feel this morning's tremblor. It will be interesting to see if the WTS tries to tie in the day's events with its end-of-the-world eschatology. I wouldn't be surprised is someone in Brooklyn, Patterson, or Wallkill isn't working on some kind of angle right now.

Quendi

• freydo
  • freydo
    freydo

(CNN) -- A moderate 5.3-magnitude earthquake that rattled southern Colorado early Tuesday morning was the largest to hit the state in more than 40 years, the U.S. Geological Survey said.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

I keep telling you guys, Obama is just a man. He can't walk on water, and he can't predict earthquakes.

Oh soot! I take it back, you're right!

• sizemik
    sizemik

Human perception of Geological time scales is always distorted. The time intervals between events is often huge when compared to a human lifespan . . . even in active seismic and volcanic zones.

Virginia has an active seismic zone that dates back millions of years. It's a realease area associated with the mountain building fault zone of the Appalachian mountains which are relatively old and much less active than 450M years ago when they were probably among the highest mountain ranges in the world. At that time they were on a tectonic plate boundary and associated subduction zone, which is now inert and fused. The elastic energy from the westward movement of the north Atlantic oceanic plate (2-3 cm / year) is now primarily transmitted through to the west coast plate boundary. Consequently, regular quakes in the region (around 300 per year) are unlikely to measure more than 4.5, with the exception of quakes like this, which occur on average about every 100 years. The pattern is unlikely to change in the next 100M years.

Time scales with volcanic zones are similar. A number of volcanic zones exists here in New Zealand. Our major city (Auckland) is built on an active volcanic zone which has 48 volcanoes within a 100km radius. The thing is . . . they didn't all arrive at the same time. A volcano emerges on average every 5,000 years . . . the last one about 600 years ago. At present there is no volcanic activity at all and probably won't be for several thousand years . . . but it is still geologically active.

When you here the words . . . we don't have earthquakes here or there hasn't been a major quake in recorded history etc . . . if it's an active fault zone, then that's more reason to worry than feel secure . . . it probably means you're due.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Breaking news - the earthquake was not felt in England. The casualty rate (unconfirmed) injuries 0, fatalities 0.

On the spot correspondents will interupt the programming if this needs updating. Mrs. Gas-Crumpet from Milton Keynes was reported as saying "I was just watching "Eastenders" when I felt nothing. This immediately made me feel guilty because I should have been having my family worship evening. Still I shouldn't be worshiping the family anyway. i need direction from my head Mr Gas-Crumpet but he is worn out, he is toast.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

LOL, Slidin! That's really funny!

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

I was in VA 8th story at a hospital. It was scarry!!! walls floor shaking I felt like the building was going to fall any second!

• kazar
    kazar

Here in Baltimore, Maryland it was felt. I was in my bedroom when my german shepherd came in my room with an inquiring look on her face as she walked the perimeter of the bedroom with her head down near the floor and ears straight up. Couldn't figure out what she was doing. Then the whole house started shaking. I was sitting on my bed holding on as it shook and the walls rumbled and sounded like they were cracking. It was a mystifying as well as frightening experience. I hope it doesn't happen again. Next time my dog displays unusual behavior (like she's looking for something that's not there I will take action and get out of the house). I have heard that animals hear and sense disasters before they happen or at least before humans are aware of any danger. There was some minor structural damage around the city but no one was hurt which was fortunate. I don't know how Californians can live there knowing it's a high risk section for earthquakes. I guess they get used to it. Not me.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    Only problem now is, the subway's totally backed up, I think, and moving at a snail's pace. Here's hoping I can make it home. Home computer is too damaged by malware to comment on JWN, though (long story, technically my fault, but not my fault simultaneously), so...I can probably just e-mail Jamie or something assuming I make it home and all...
    --sd-7

I haven't heard from SD-7 this evening. I hope he made it home okay.

I'm on NE Ohio, and I didn't feel the earthquake at all at my house, which is 91 years old. My husband was sitting in a car about 15 miles away, and the whole car was shaking.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit