New WT and Higher Education...Beware of the logical fallacy in the first sentence.

by maninthemiddle 41 Replies latest watchtower bible

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I feel my blood pressure rise when I read this crap...

I'll be back after I calm down.

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

Education has always been a thorn in my side. I had problems in school from being "different" that greatly impacted my attention to work. I loved to read and always stayed ahead of the class. Of course, some of that was becuase of spending time in the library during many "fun" functions. My parents thought that high school was going to be a problem, that is how I landed in homeschool.

Skeeter..you know that is true. They will quickly accept a married couple if they have professional skills. They also sent notices out over the years they were looking for computer degrees. Do you think these people shared a room with three others.

Now I am not knocking blue collar jobs, I was just afraid of being stuck in laundry or kitchen forever and never having a chance to do anything different. I knew quite o few guys that spent their entire stay in the kitchen.

• Quendi
    Quendi

I've enjoyed reading this thread and agree with all the posters. I dropped out of college back in 1977--studying metallurgy at the time--because I was convinced Armageddon was close and I should devote all my time and energy to the preaching work. My decision broke my poor father's heart. Fortunately, I had the sense to return to college years later and get my degrees in geography and mathematics. My motive was to scrape the rust off, oil the gears, and get my mind working again. The only regret I have is that my father did not live to see me get my diploma.

I was especially pleased to read about troubled mind's son's interest in mathematics and astronomy. Let me encourage you to assist him in every way possible for this. Studying these two closely related disciplines will do more than increase his knowledge about the universe, he will be trained to think in an entirely new way, and that will benefit not only himself, but all he associates with.

Quendi

• Quendi
    Quendi

@breakfast of champions:

I know exactly how you feel and agree completely.

The hypocrisy of this organization continues to plumb new depths. They badmouth higher education at every turn, then beg for assistance from those who possess the kind of specialized knowledge that only a higher education can give. They want the services of doctors, lawyers, CPAs, architects, civil, electrical, and mechanical engineers, and architects, just to name a few. They talk out of both sides of their mouth when soliciting such help, telling Witnesses who do not have these skills they should not go to college to acquire them. That always disturbed me when I was in the organization and now that I'm out, I just want to scream whenever I read their posturings on this subject.

Quendi

• sd-7
    sd-7

I think Randy Watters said something about this, to the effect of...it seems that the Society can avail themselves of the benefits of higher education while simultaneously denying said benefits to their members. Without such education, there'd be no one to perform bloodless surgery on poor old Governing Body members....

On the plus side, there'll be no education needed in order to knock out that there toothache you're havin'!

fist

--sd-7

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Okay, I've calmed down some.

They are not afraid of you becoming rich and having some amazingly luxuriant lifestyle. There are quite a few good businessmen with nothing but a HS diploma in the cong who do quite well for themselves. In the end, this benefits the society as well (contributions-wise). Here's what they are fearful of:

Went to the student academic advisement day at my university this spring and this is what one speaker told the students: "We will have done our job here if you graduate school with the CRITICAL THINKING SKILLS needed to make good decisions in life." When I heard that, I was like WOW - this is EXACTLY why the society discourages higher education!
    Unfortunately, I've learned this a couple decades too late. But better late than never!

Bastards!

• flipper
    flipper

The WT society is becoming more and more controlling and barbaric. " Young Christians are encouraged to pursue spiritual goals , getting only as much education as is REQUIRED to meet their basic needs. " So first they tell JW's not to pursue " so-called " necessities like " food & " clothing " in the Sept.15th WT , now they tell young people to NOT get further, extra education that will help them get better jobs.

Hey WT society - ASSHOLES , go bury yourself in your hypocritical excrement. Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• VM44
    VM44

The Watchtower eventually is going to find a way of making attending college a disfellowshipping offense!

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Going to college can mean a 4 year investment all the way up to a decade for serious specialties. Then you finish graduating and reap the benefits, hopefully with skills and a career. A person can easily learn the entire JW dogma in about a year. However, it is a treadmill that requires continuous "training" and "study" that continues without end, because that's the way brainwashing works. The reward never comes in the "paradise" nor in a meaningful life now.

• moldwarrior
    moldwarrior

Dear NVR....,

The age of 56 is not too old to invest in yourself by registering for college classes, even if on a part time basis.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit