The New World Translation Quote from an Elder

by howdidtihappen 96 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

Ding: I would not put too much stock on Julius Mantey's diatribe on the NWT. Julius made more than a few wrong statements about the WT and the NWT in his fiery criticisms. And the scandal he made of Watchtower dishonesty, is not accurate either.

I am no friend of the WT, I haven't been for more than 15 years, and I too criticize the WT for its many wrongs, its manipulation of members, and of some doctrines that end up benefitting the WTS, such as the distortion of the "house to house preaching mode," as required by every member, and the dreadful trickery of"the faithful and discreet slave." However, the Julius Mantey case is unfortunate and inaccurate. He made some valid points, but the whole thing was more of, to use Rolf Furuli's words, an "emotionally inspired caricature and a partisan (Baptist) spirit."

• Gayle
    Gayle

There is a free Bible version/translation site: biblegateway.com

I was using it yesterday for comparisons of Matt 24:45. Interesting, how some use "a slave" instead of "the slave," slave there doesn't indicate any thing like a special leadership group to never question and only follow..

The New World Translation is not accurate,,is only a manipulation/molestation for its usage of their JW doctrine. The proclaimed translator, Fred Franz, under oath, proved he could not translate the language of the Bible.

• Gayle
    Gayle

There is a free Bible version/translation site: biblegateway.com

I was using it yesterday for comparisons of Matt 24:45. Interesting, how some use "a slave" instead of "the slave," slave there doesn't indicate any thing like a special leadership group to never question and only follow..

The New World Translation is not accurate,,is only a manipulation/molestation for its usage of their JW doctrine. The proclaimed translator, Fred Franz, under oath, proved he could not translate the language of the Bible.

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

Gayle said: "I was using it yesterday for comparisons of Matt 24:45. Interesting, how some use "a slave" instead of "the slave," slave there doesn't indicate any thing like a special leadership group to never question and only follow..

The New World Translation is not accurate, is only a manipulation/molestation for its usage of their JW doctrine. The proclaimed translator, Fred Franz, under oath, proved he could not translate the language of the Bible."

Gayle,in the name of fairness, I must bring it to your attention that Fred Franz under oath said he would ‘not attempt to translate Gen 2:4 from English to Hebrew,’ not that he could not translate Gen. 2:4 from Hebrew to English as is the norm. Just because most anti-WT folks twist the said statements of the trial, does not mean that we should follow their steps. Truth and fairness should prevail above lies and deceit. That goes for the WT when they do it too.

It is not true, as some have stated, that any first year Hebrew student can translate Gen 2:4 from English to Hebrew without any bible helps in the courtroom. In fact, not many Hebrew teachers can pull that off without some difficulty. Did you ever asked Raymond Franz about this incident? I did.

• howdidtihappen
    howdidtihappen

As well as being informative (their OWN Bible, holy hell) This thread gave me a good laugh, so thanks for that. I need it after getting involved with JW's. Now i'm just trying to break away without losing my new friends. I've spent all day researching the NWT and the results are alarming. On second thought i don't think i want friends who believe this garbage without question.

Give me the bad news. I don't HAVE friends if i stop studying, right?

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

When I read other translations, I get the sense that the translators are trying to bring out what the unique authors of the various books were saying. With the NWT, it feels like no matter which part of the Bible I turn to, I'm getting the same Watchtower doctrine read to me. It's a weird feeling and always seems fishy. The elder referring to it as a Rolls Royce reminds me of the time I sat in a KH and the elder called the WT's blood policy the "gold standard" in healthcare. I believe these kinds of comments contribute to a tone of elitism among the JW's I have been around.

FWIW, here's something that just popped in my mind about the NWT use of language: one of the traits of cults is that they limit the set of words and phrases in their lexicon, which in turn limits the range of expression among members. The NWT claims it's uniformity of language is a good thing because it supposedly helps the reader to know what the underlying Greek/Hebrew words are. However, I think it is also thought-limiting.

• the-illuminator81
    the-illuminator81

The NWT is not like a rolls royce, but like a special built custom, modified entirely to the driver's wishes and doesn't even look like the original anymore.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    do they also believe they have a superior Bible to anyone elses outside the religion?

Oh, yeah!

But then don't they think that everything they have from the WTB$ is superior?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    Now i'm just trying to break away without losing my new friends

That'll be a first.

We can't even break away without losing our families.

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

If the NWT is the Rolls Royce of Bibles, why oh why are they using multiple quotes in the Awake and WT from other bibles?

Have found the colour button, will use it.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit