For those who do not believe in the Bible: Why don't you?

by Chemical Emotions 47 Replies latest jw friends

• the-illuminator81
    the-illuminator81

- It contradicts itself

- It is full of unbelievable stories

- God's unrighteous behaviour

• discreetslave
    discreetslave

I'm still a believer but then again I've always been a sucker for fairy tales, myths, and creative fiction.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Becuase it reads like a badly written Harry Potter book in places. I don't believe in Hogworts and Harry Potter, so why should I believe in nephilim, dragons, talking animals and jerky-hoovers?

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Society makes fun of people who take Harry Potter too seriously.

Yet in the case of religion it's considered virtuous and respectable to read "The Good Book".

Hey, at least J.K. Rowling is an engaging writer, which is more than I can say for 75% of the Bible's authors.

We should cut the "nerds" at ComiCon a break.

They know it's fiction and are just getting off on what entertains them.

Religious people, however, can be clueless and downright scary.

Homicidal. Genocidal. Criminal.

• Heaven
    Heaven

I was raised to believe that the Bible is the inerrant word of God.

As I moved into my teen years the misogyny, contradictions, and abusiveness of being created sinful and then being ordered to be perfect all began my critical examination of the Bible. As time went on I discovered that science, biology, geology, archaeology, botany, mathematics, and plain old critical thinking have debunked the Bible.

I was told that the Bible and Jehovah's Witnesses could answer all my questions. They never have. They just create more questions.

• shepherd
    shepherd

@TheSilence - so funny.

• talesin
    talesin

Disclaimer: I will admit that some historical accounts are relatively interesting, but other than that, I just ... don't ... get it.

1. Ezekiel ,,, Daniel ... .......... convoluted unexplainable prophecies doesn't even begin to describe these books ...

2. OT vengeful G*d murders his NT peace-loving, wine-making hippy son on cross/stake as a human sacrifice? oooo-kkaaayy,, then

3. Revelation and the Four Horses of the Apocalypse et al --- come on!

4. Let's talk hatred of women. All the wicked, unclean women in the OT (you do know, don't you, that ALL women are unclean during their menses)?

I mean, there was that temptress Eve who ruined it for all of us, and then those trollops, Lot's daughters, got the poor old guy drunk and RAPED HIM so they could have children (never mind that he offered them up to be raped by strangers visiting their town mere days/weeks previous)! Let's not forget Jezebel and Delilah, and the hussy Bathsheba, whose lover, King David, was driven mad by lust and had her husband murdered just so that David (beloved of G*d) could possess her! Oh, the drama and misogyny! :s

Where are all the nonexistent, nameless women in the NT (I can only think of the two Marys, and maybe John the B's mother, uh, anyone remember her name... offhand)? Oh, yes, that's right, 'women are to remain silent' .... ahahahahaha! [BS] Thanks, Paul, I'm feelin' the lurv!!! NOT!

5. "Spare the rod and spoil the child" --- yes, let's beat them into submission! Remember, they are possessions, not precious tiny people meant to be nurtured and treasured and encouraged to be and experience and achieve their full potential ...

6. And one of my all-time favorites, from Genesis, 'mankind has dominance over the animals' .... yes, really, they are only BEASTS, and were created for our USE, they have no REAL feelings, so animal torture for profit by way of mass production of meat (ie factory farms) is not wrong. It's our G*d-given, biblically-set-forth, right!

There is too much in that book that offends my soul, and I reject it as a tool to be used to guide one's belief system.

tal

• Heaven
    Heaven

There is too much in that book that offends my soul, and I reject it as a tool to be used to guide one's belief system.

Oh tal, this is very well said indeed. I second that. I found it to be a tool used to control, manipulate, oppress, and enslave. Religion likes this tool very much.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

I guess you just have to look at it and see it for what it is... a book... full of words. Lots and lots of them. It's a book written in the Middle East 2,000 years ago; full of myths, parables, wishful thinking, the occasional historical event more or less accurately portrayed; and the Jewish portrayal of their imaginary god. It's such an oddball mix it has confused people for thousands of years...

• IsaacJ22
    IsaacJ22

From the perspective of historians, it seems that their are plenty of reasons to doubt the Bible being truly inspired by any deity. Christianity itself has similar historic problems from my point of view, but you asked about the Bible. So I'll stick with that.

Like many Witnesses, I bought into the Society's apologetics. It offered us evidence that was meant to prove the Bible had to be divinely inspired, usually due to its scientific or historical accuracy. Once I learned that these reasons were exaggerations or even just plain wrong, there didn't seem to be a good reason to view the Bible in the same way any more.

Then I learned that scholars can prove that the Bible texts, as we know them today, have been altered. No one knows what the originals said, but they do know they don't match anything we have now. That, to me, was pretty condemning. Some of the text is even known to be a forgerie! What's that about?

English translations leave out a lot of details that were culturally relevant at the time, too. So even in its current form, most English speaking Christians don't understand what the Bible's really saying as well as they believe. I'm looking at you, WTS, among others.

Now, I don't even think the Bible is a very good book. I think most people could write a better one. Even the 10 commandments could be made much better with little effort. It's historically and culturally interesting, but -- to me -- it is very umimpressive. I don't see how an all knowing, all powerful god who wants us to hear his message could be involved in any meaningful way.

What ya gonna do?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit