Who was Cains wife?

by trailerfitter 57 Replies latest watchtower bible

• trailerfitter
    trailerfitter

Excuse me for being uneducated on the bible, especially the Genesis. I though Adam and Eve were the only 2 created human beings by god. Apparently Cain had a wife....where did she come from? What was her name. Were the children involved in incest or were there other people outside the garden of Eden? If incest was the case then why did god allow it?

The NWT say that Adam and Eve had numerous children but how many?. Why doesn't the wife have a name whilst all the boys do?

These questions are definitely pointed because I am looking for some sort of leverage to cast doubts on certain aspects. I am Skeptical however bringing subjects like this up a JW always will find an answer to wriggle out of a question some how. What is the proper dubs stance on this?

I have been informed that this Cains wife issue is something to inspect. Can I use this as an arguement?

• the-illuminator81
    the-illuminator81

It has to be his sister or niece and there had to be incest involved.

If I recall correctly it was allowed by God because it was necessary and there were no problems with inbreeding like there are today because they were closer to perfection back then, that's also why they lived longer.

In the end it's all a fairtytale and this is like arguing where do snow white's seven dwarfs come from or something like that..

• FreeAtLast1914
    FreeAtLast1914

If you believe in the Genesis account, Adam and Eve were it; meaning their children had to hook up for the human family to grow. The WT position on this is that Cain took a sister. But remember, incest was all the rage back then. There was no other way to get laid. Even when there were other choices they sometimes stuck with the family. Don't forget Lot and his two daughters in that cave, how they liquored him up and had their way with him...

• cantleave
    cantleave

The bible mythology makes no sense because it is nonsense!!!

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

A myth can't be married.... but don't throw out the baby with the bath water. All myths have deeper meaning that's practical for the Self. Cain represents the egos that cause all human suffering. Abel represents the True Self of what is known as the Higher Self that is "murdered" by our selfish desires.....

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Incest hadn't been coined then. There is nothing written that suggests they weren't all MF's.

Can I use this as an arguement?

Not as an arguement, as neither side has any evidence, but as a topic, go for it. The sillier they get the more fun you can have with them.

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

It can easily be said that Cain met a sister that Adam+Eve produced at some point. If you want some more debate-worthy contradictions, take a look at some of these.. http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/jim_meritt/bible-contradictions.html "The sins of the father ISA 14:21 Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers; that they do not rise, nor possess the land, nor fill the face of the world with cities. DEU 24:16 The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin." "How many stalls and horsemen? 1KI 4:26 And Solomon had forty thousand stalls of horses for his chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen. 2CH 9:25 And Solomon had four thousand stalls for horses and chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen; whom he bestowed in the chariot cities, and with the king at Jerusalem."- The Bible we have today isn't inerrant. This could be fun to point out. ''GEN 7:2 Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female. GEN 7:8 Of clean beasts, and of beasts that are not clean, and of fowls, and of every thing that creepeth upon the earth, GEN 7:9 There went in two and two unto Noah into the ark, the male and the female, as God had commanded Noah.''- Two/seven, not much difference...

• sir82
    sir82

Official JW / fundy Christian answer would be that he married a sister / niece / cousin.

To understand the truth, you'd first have to understand that the first 11 chapters of Genesis is a mash-up of numerous oral traditions created over centuries of time.

A brief informal summation:

The "Cain and Abel" account was developed independently of the "Adam and Eve as the only 2 humans on the planet" account. The redactor who mashed the stories together (several thousand years ago) was not as careful as he could have been - he forgot to edit out the part about Cain's wife when he tacked "Cain & Abel" to the end of "Adam & Eve".

An additional error on his part - Cain was worried about "whoever would find him would put him to death", so God fixed a "sign" so that he wouldn't have to worry about it. Wait a minute - who & where were these "others" who were ready to kill him?

The Bible makes a whole lot more sense when you stop treating it as literal history from a single author.

• St George of England
    St George of England

What about poor old Seth? (Gen 4:25) Everybody forgets him.

George

• alanv
    alanv

I always thought a better question regarding those times was where was the land of Nod that Cain when off to?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit