My Apostate wife is out on service

by fade_away 32 Replies latest jw experiences

• fallen_princess
    fallen_princess

Hello, All

This is my first post under my own user name since I usually use my husband's account to post on here. I thought it would be appropriate to use it for the first time since the post is about what happened to me today. And, for those who are wondering, it wasn't as meiserable as I thought it was going to be at first. Just like all of you would have probably felt, I was banging my head against the wall wondering why I agreed to go in the first place. There were no concerned/nosey brothers asking impertinent questions or anything of the sort because it was just her and I who went, and because its not exactly common knowledge on our old congregation that we are no longer attending. So, before I told my friend, she wasn't aware. I went because to my uber-dub but well-meaning friend, service is a pasttime, and I had not seen her for quite some time.

The way I feel about the truth is that it has the same merrits and flaws as any other religion and it promotes similar judeo-christian ethic that pretty much any other religion does. Given its restorationist mindset, the rigid ideals and the all or nothing attitude so they can stick it to the "Catholic Pagan Whores" is - well - whatever.. If someone needs the structure the WTS provides to feel under control, then its on them, but my ideas are my own so they are not harming me at all. But that doesn't make me love my friend any less and she is in no way harsh or judgemental about my beliefs, but as a good JW friend, she thinks she can in some way help "save me". I have known her for a long time and she has always been a friend through thick and thin and has never been one to use anyone's personal life as a party favor to pass around at Dub social gatherings and the like. As expected, it was mostly not-at-homes, and only 2 people accepted literature that my friend offered (just the invite to the DC) just to be polite. No, magical-thinking involved, no religious doctrine being pushed on people so it didn't really irk me in any way, nor with my pacifist attitude would it if it was. And, really its up to the householder to accept or reject the ideas being offered, just like anyone else.

So, as I expected, I made absolutely no impact in anyone's life today, nor was I aiming to make one. If there was any point that I was trying to make is that I would not simply abandon a relationship with my friend because we dont see eye-to-eye in terms of what we believe. It was just time that I spent with my friend talking about just random stuff like friends do. Of course, she did ask me why I wasn't going to the meetings and I responded truthfully in saying that it was because I never felt a love for Jehovah nor had any personal relationship with him and never thought of him as a real person. I only did it because I was made to. I couldnt risk embarassing my family by being just like all those other brother's and sisters kids who turned worldly and basically did everything in their power to crap on their parents honor in spite of them. She, as any good JW encouraged me to seek a pesonal relationship with Jehovah and let him bless me so I could see him as more real. All I responded was, that faith intrinsically begets risk and that was something I was having trouble with.. You know, left it sort of wishy-washy like that. She didn't press the issue. So that was what came out of just two meager hours devoted to hanging out with my friend; time I would have otherwise wasted probably doing something else equally as unimportant.

By the way, It's really nice to finally introduce myself formally on this forum.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Welcome to the forum!

• steve2
    steve2

I love your avatar, fallen-princess! Your regard for your friend shines through in your post. You are a true friend. I hope your friend realizes how lucky she is to have a friend like you. I like your considered approach. You convey a great depth of understanding and patience. Go well!

• fallen_princess
    fallen_princess

Hey, thanks Steve. I really appreciate the kind words. I dont know what time has in store for her and I but I hope she knows that even if our differences make us drift apart, it wasn't because I meant it to end that way. That's all I really wanted to make clear.

Thanks for the welcome, LeavingWT :)

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    I would not simply abandon a relationship with my friend because we dont see eye-to-eye in terms of what we believe.

Your values are superior to the values of JWs. You can see it for what it is, a difference of opinion about invisible people and magic.

Unfortunately, for 99% of JWs, it's matter of loyalty to Jehovah, not merely a different of opinion. You will likely discover that your JW friends and family do not feel the same way as you do. Acting out of fear, they will usually abandon friends and relatives, should those people decide that they no longer believe 'The Truth'.

Please keep a good sense of humor and recognize that none of this is your fault.

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

can we email this thread to the gb or sticky it permanently to the front page? might be the greatest thread title i've ever seen in 25 years.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I would not simply abandon a relationship with my friend because we dont see eye-to-eye in terms of what we believe.

I made that mistake with one friend when I was more "zealous". I've made it a point to tell and to show to other friends that I do not consider our friendship as conditional on what choices they make in life.

• rebel8
    rebel8

And, really its up to the householder to accept or reject the ideas being offered, just like anyone else. So, as I expected, I made absolutely no impact in anyone's life today, nor was I aiming to make one.

All due respect, I'm sure you sincerely believe what you said.

But...I find this really, really disturbing. How do you know you had no impact? This cult has propagated itself by its ministry. It started out with 1 guy who went around selling his books and getting new followers.

The only reason I was ever involved with the cult that abused and nearly killed me is b/c of door to door activity.

You reinforced in your friend's mind that cult recruitment is acceptable. You went out in public supporting a cult that has killed people.

If there was any point that I was trying to make is that I would not simply abandon a relationship with my friend because we dont see eye-to-eye in terms of what we believe.

No normal, healthy, polite, non-manipulative friend--IOW, a real friend--requires cult activities or any religious activites as the only option for socialization. If I want to see my Catholic friend I am not required to teach Catechism in Sunday school with her.

• fallen_princess
    fallen_princess

@Leaving; Oh I have already felt ostricised by some of those who claimed to be my friends but it was no great loss to me really mostly because I had already accepted it in my heart that my decision was going to distinguish those who truely cared for me as a person from those who placed a condition on their affection. Thanks so much for the encouragement.

@Rebel8, I do see your point, and because you shared a bit of insight as to your personal experiences in the Borg I see where you are coming from. I myself wasn't victimized in a way as severe as you allude to. I guess I just don't see it as so black and white. The way I see it is that the territory that we were in is notorious to be extremely unresponsive, as all society has become in general. There is no world war to spur the movement on and the western upper middle class is steered towards "godlessness" for lack of a better word.

I guess I couldn't know for sure unless I personally called upon those householders again in which I could gauge their responsiveness to the invitation that they received simply to be mannerly. But, I do believe my intentions go without saying. Lol! I am quite confident in the fact that the invites to the DC were promptly disposed of as the householder shut the door I would even be willing to gamble on it as I know it would be a sure thing. My friend knows where I stand, but nobody can convince anyone else of something that person believes in, and she is a believer. If she comes to realize on her own that she has been misguided then I will be happy for her, but it's not a choice I can or even have the right to make for her. I am not minimizing the damage that the Borg has caused either and I respect your point, but these people have a choice and, just like you and I did, can chose to leave.

I don't see any point in being bitter towards those who did care about me and continue to do so. And just like she wanted to meet up in service, we could have chosen to meet up elsewhere. She suggested service and I accepted. I am certain if I had suggested elsewhere she would have agreed.

• steve2
    steve2

I think Rebel8 overstates the issue of door knocking's effectiveness. Goodness knows there have been enough threads on this forum demonstrating that the success rate of the JWs door-knocking is astonishingly low. Someone compiled some statistics a while back showing very few 'converts' per million hours reported door knocking. I agree with fallen-angel's perspective: Much of the way we as individuals react upon leaving and after leaving the organization is based on the way we were personally treated. What I hear fallen-angel say is that she did not experience the extremes of disapproving behaviour many here have experienced. Accordingly, she would not have the same view as Rebel8. Quite simply, it's not a matter of who is right and who wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit