Watchtower — Pre-Eve Adam was not male!

by Marvin Shilmer 36 Replies latest jw friends

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

By himself?

• blondie
    blondie

I read those quotes some time ago and put them in one of my comments. I do believe they were discussing female and male personality characteristics not physical characteristics. Since God is a spirit and neither male nor female in physical body, but both in spirit, I could see how they reasoned that the female personality characteristics (whatever they are) were given to Eve.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/160335/1/Adam-had-feminine-qualities-until-Eve-was-created

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/186948/1/Will-WT-Announce-the-Feminine-Side-of-Jehovah

• minimus
    minimus

Blondie, I agree.

Mrs.J, Adam the Master Baiter.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

blondie writes:

“I do believe they were discussing female and male personality characteristics not physical characteristics.”

You could well be right, but if that is what they mean then it is not so unnatural for someone with organs associated with “male” to be a actually a “female” and vice versa. What Watchtower has put to writing on this issue opens up a whole can of worms in conflict with other of its teaching.

Basically, if Adam was created with a penis then Watchtower teaching means having a penis does not make a person “male”.

Marvin Shilmer

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

I doubt there was an Adam or Eve. It's a common story to many myths.

• Terry
    Terry

If you live a celibate life you are sexless. Being sexless in this context does not mean you lack a gender!

If Eve were made of Adam's own tissue/bone/cells/DNA it would not be possible for variety to appear in their offspring which DOES appear in humanity.

Myth.

• minimus
    minimus

Marvin, you are too interested in penis.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Terry writes:

“If you live a celibate life you are sexless. Being sexless in this context does not mean you lack a gender!”

In what context? In the context of what Watchtower published in 1912 and 1956 “sexless” is speaking of gender.

What do you think these Watchtower expressions refer to if not gender?

"the division of Adam into two persons"

"sex quality of humanity"

"like the angels of heaven--sexless"

"The division of Adam into two parts, male and female"

Marvin Shilmer

• munchausen
    munchausen

Along the same lines, I recall that the Russellites believed that the resurrected humans to the earth would be sexless also. The belief was that the ones to be resurrected to earth were the heathens, ie Non-Christian peoples, they would be sexless and thus there would never be children born in the new earth during the Millenium.

The idea that someone or something could have both male and female characteristics has been around for a long time, I think the Shakers had such a belief about the nature of God. Many of the Shakers were believers in the Advent (the 1844 movement) and so share some ideological kinship with Russell.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Typhoid caused by tiny worms, vaccines blamed for the "upsurge in sexual immorality", organ transplants = cannabalism, the health benefits of giving yourself a regular reverse flushing - and now this.

Having been an avid reader of WTS literature during my formative years, I am now beginning to understand why I have been so messed up!

Bill.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit