Should conscientious objectors to gay marriage be allowed?

by rebel8 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Compare this case to Jim Crow in the South. Once there was a federal court order demanding that blacks be allowed to register, could a KKK refuse on biblical grounds. The cross is central to their organization. They believe in good faith that the Bible says blacks are cursed.

When I was a child, this was unthinkable. I did not know homosexuals existed until I quite old. During my happy years living in Greenwich and the East Village, I met many gays. My churches were welcoming - which has become a code word. If the ad in the newspaper says it is a welcoming church, gays know they are safe to attend. I am curious as to why this code remains. Knowing specific people changed my mind about gays. Things have moved a long way since the Stonewall Riots.

This is similar to choice issues, too. Can an insurance company employee refuse to touch abortions claims. Abortion is a const'lly mandated right, not a privilege. It puts the insurance company at peril for suits by the states attorney-generals and claimants.

I read cases about employment discrimination vis a vis religion. It is not an absolute right. Employers do not have to change their policies in order to accomodate an employee. A recent case involving the Salvation Army held that the Salvation Army could discriminate based on religion, despite strong federal laws against such discrimination in general. Sadly, I don't remember the details or the overriding principle. Employers do not have to place religious objectors on the dole.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

A good Bible-carrying woman like her shouldn't be in the workforce anyway. Paul would have instructed her to go home, make babies, and mind her own business. By her own Bible standards, it should be left to the men to tell her what to do and remember her place beneath them. And those men ought to be wearing dresses, not trousers, because that's the way Jesus wanted it.

If she quits, she quits. Good bye. I can dish the passive agressiveness right back.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Or are some of you in favor of forcing people to do jobs they don't want to do?

Of course not. Where did you get that idea? I am challenging her bigotry, hence the correlation to resisting desegregation.

But when it comes to property and medical decisions, there have to be laws.

There are laws for child support, property, etc. There could be legal rights that come with marriage, without the government's requiring us to get permission and buy a license from them. We have lots of legal rights that don't require us to buy a license to get.
    She stepped down because she felt morally unable to complete her duties. . . how do we NOT allow someone to step down?

Are you just being sarcastic or what? Wow, and with eye rolls too. I thought I was being polite. What gives?

I didn't ask if she should be allowed to step down, and I never said she voluntarily resigned.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

The woman decided she would obey God rather than men. In the Bible, a marriage is a union of one man and one woman.

She did the right thing and resigned.

The people of New York were denied the right to vote to change the definiton of marriage.

• Lore
    Lore

She stepped down because she felt morally unable to complete her duties. . . how do we NOT allow someone to step down?

Are you just being sarcastic or what? Wow, and with eye rolls too. I thought I was being polite.
    What gives?I didn't ask if she should be allowed to step down, and I never said she voluntarily resigned.

I'm not being sarcastic. . . i'm trying to understand what you want.

Your thread title is: Should conscientious objectors to gay marriage be allowed?

The only alternative to "being allowed" is "NOT being allowed".

You then cited that woman as a conscientious objector. When all she did was step down. So it's not a big leap at all to assume you meant she SHOULDNT be allowed to step down.

Premise A: Conscientious objecting to gay marriage is not allowed.

Premise B: Stepping down is a form of conscientious objecting to gay marriage.

Conclusion: Stepping down is not allowed.

I'm not the only one who thought that's what you meant. If it's not what you meant, then I'm still confused as to what you want us to do to her?

• Lore
    Lore

Nevermind, I re-read the thread and now that I know what you DIDNT mean, I can see now that you actually are asking whether she should be allowed to continue working and refusing to sign for gay people.

And if that was what you were objecting too, then I COMPLETELY agree. If you refuse to do a part of your job you need to be replaced. Especially if you refuse to do it solely because your a bigot.

So the right thing happened. She refused to do her job for gay people and now she's gone.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

truthseeker

"The woman decided she would obey God rather than men. In the Bible, a marriage is a union of one man and one woman."

Really...? How's about "...a union of one man and..." hundreds of women ?

That's 'the Bible' & God, too -- right ? Damn...Truth and Laws -- always changing.

• Ill wind blowing
    Ill wind blowing

Truthseeker:

The woman decided she would obey God rather than men. In the Bible, a marriage is a union of one man and one woman.

She did the right thing and resigned.

The people of New York were denied the right to vote to change the definiton of marriage.

Your God, your holy scriptures. I defy them both. In fact, let me be a bit more subtle.

I wipe, my filthy, diarrhea stained buttocks on Jehovah's pristine white beard for His afterthoughts on marriage:

Marriage is validated by human beings not demonic gods.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Can you cite a law that gives us that right? Thx

In the Bible, a marriage is a union of one man and one woman.

A man and many women.

Have you wondered why, if homosexuality was such a serious sin, Jesus didn't mention it?

And why does the Bible in its entirety say so little about it?

Why does the Bible not forbid same sex marriage?

• rocky220
    rocky220

Hey, I say if the gays want to get married, let them. They deserve to be as miserable as everybody else!!!! Rocky220

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit