Should conscientious objectors to gay marriage be allowed?

by rebel8 51 Replies latest jw friends

• rebel8
    rebel8

Previous, related thread: NY Catholic Church on new gay marriage law

Gay marriage is finally legal in my state. Let the next wave of ignorance begin!

Now we've had a feceshead official who had to step down from her post because she informed the legislature she would refuse to issue a license/certificate for a gay marriage.

Wait, it gets better. Cue Godwin's Law of Nazi Analogies!

In fact, the Campaign for Children and their Families, a wholesale anti-gay lobbying group in California, has equated the issuing of gay marriage licenses to mindless compliance during the Holocaust: "Ask your county clerk if they were a Nazi officer during WWII and had been ordered to gas the Jews, would they?"

Basically she is claiming to be a conscientious objector to issuing marriage certificate/licenses to homosexuals:

"I would not want to put my name on any of those certificates or papers,” MacEwen she told Politico. “That’s their life, they can do it, but I don’t feel I should be forced into something that’s against my morals and my God.”

So should our employee (government employee paid by our tax $) be allowed to do this if it truly is against her beliefs?

Should religious people refuse to do something that is one of their basic job duties, if a duty is added that means validation of other people doing things that violate her own beliefs?

• bohm
    bohm

*No*

And if someone tell me this woman deserve anything but a good long laugh, should we have accepted it if she refused to marry divorces? or black? or women without a certificate they was virgins?

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Ooohhh tough one.

If she can't perform the duty which she was hired for................but when she was hired, that was not one of her duties...........If she quit, problem solved. If she had chosen to stay and demand that her beliefs be respected, I think they would have had to accommodate her. She could just step aside and have another employee deal with it. But if she makes it difficult or uncomfortable for the customer, that's a write up.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Absolutely.

Let her find a new job where she doesn't have to deal with gay marriage. That being said I believe that gays should be allowed to marry and grow old together.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Meh...

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

A public official should serve/represent the PUBLIC, regardless of their "morals" or "God".

• Scully
    Scully

"I would not want to put my name on any of those certificates or papers,” MacEwen she told Politico. “That’s their life, they can do it, but I don’t feel I should be forced into something that’s against my morals and my God.”

There's a difference between issuing a marriage licence (or licence for domestic partnership, if you want to call it that) and particpating in genocide. And you know what, if she lived in Nazi Germany and worked for government back then, she probably would have done exactly what she was ordered to do, whether it was tattooing serial numbers on the forearms of new detainees, or documenting the same numbers after the corpses were carted out of the gas chambers.

She's doing exactly what her leadership (the Campaign for Children and their Families) expects of her - blind compliance to a hate-mongering agenda. Oddly enough, that's more like the Nazis than legalizing gay marriage.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I'm certain her religion also abhors adultery, but has she ever objected to preparing a marriage certificate for two adulterers? If her "morals" are so important, why doesn't she require a background check for applicants to make sure they've never committed adultery or have certifications of virginity? In her line of work it's almost certain that she's even prepared marriage licenses for child molesters. I'm wondering how, with such a delicate conscience, that she's ever performed her job.

• Ill wind blowing
  • allelsefails
    allelsefails

This is no different than an employee in a grocery store refusing to sell alcohol. Guess what - you can't be a cashier. Everyone is entitled to their beliefs and to stand up for them. Also they should receive the consequences. If your job changes you either get a new job or you change.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit