Flame Ups? Tired? Scared To Voice...............

by ladonna 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Julie
    Julie

Greetings to you all:

Larc you said:

Julie, on your first post, you said you were shy. Was that tongue in cheek humour? You strike me as a direct, articulate poster. You don't come across as shy. Just curious.

You got me there, being a wise-alec indeed.

Prisca, you said:

:Ana dares to speak her mind and all of a sudden she is "soapboxy"

Not at all, actually Prisc, it just seemed to me that with every mention of someone being hesitant to speak out we were getting so close to funeral atmosphere here and a great deal of broad, undirected criticism that the writer herself is not guiltless of no matter how unknown. I felt that, considering a few mitigating circumstances you are unaware of (through no fault of your own or Waiting's of course), that it *was* getting soap-boxy. Sorry but that's all I can share on the matter, it is between Ladonna and I, she realized what I meant, didn't seem to take offense (which is good cause it wasn't really intended) and we move on. Why don't you try the same Prisca, though I know you'd like to see a little blood, sorry to disappoint.

You also said:
    LaDonna:
    Dont let others intimidate you.
    Speak your mind, whatever it is.

Now here is something you and I can agree on Prisca. Except, let us not start donning funeral garb and bemoaning the not-so-nice things that can be said and done by *others* while we ourselves are imperfect and share some of the guilt eh?

Ladonna and anyone else, I strongly encourage you to speak your mind. Not everyone will agree with you but it is the disagreements we grow from the most anyway (most times) so get what you can from that and move on. When nobody does the rock throwing from the glass house thing it can actually be quite productive.....

Regards to all,
    Julie, who as a small child really *was* painfully shy but in order to survive overcame it completely.....

• teejay
    teejay

It sure is reassuring to know that I'm not the only one who's sometimes shy about saying what he thinks. I'm working on my assertiveness, but it's a real struggle sometimes...

• larc
    larc

teejay,

I think you just joined Julie and I in the tongue in cheek class!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

HA-HA!Hey teejay,you shy?(LOL).You always say whats on your mind,thats why we get along...OUTLAW

• Prisca
    Prisca

Julie said:

we were getting so close to funeral atmosphere here...

...let us not start donning funeral garb

I hardly think anyone is promoting a funeral-like atmosphere. I find it an amusing simile since the posters who responded on this thread are normally happy, friendly people. Who's suggesting we be morose and unhappy?

... and a great deal of broad, undirected criticism that the writer herself is not guiltless of no matter how unknown. I felt that, considering a few mitigating circumstances you are unaware of (through no fault of your own or Waiting's of course), that it *was* getting soap-boxy. Sorry but that's all I can share on the matter, it is between Ladonna and I
    I see, there's some personal business going on between you and Ana, eh? And in this private correspondence she seemed "soapboxy"? And thanks for telling us that Ana is "not guiltless... no matter how unknown". So you accuse her of being guilty of something, yet being able to say what it is? Isn't that bordering on character assination?

But then, you are assuming that I am taking offense at that, as the following seems to indicate:

she realized what I meant, didn't seem to take offense (which is good cause it wasn't really intended) and we move on. Why don't you try the same Prisca,
    Well, I'm not taking offense of any sort, so you are preaching to the converted. Oops, sorry, you were never a JW, so you don't know how to preach. My bad.

Then Julie makes further guesses as to my character, saying:

though I know you'd like to see a little blood, sorry to disappoint.
    I'll give you some free advice: don't assume you know what I think, cos you don't and never will. You can make as many bitchy comments and insinuations as you like, but they are only words, and will only reinforce the lack of respect I have for you anyway.

Julie says:

You also said:
    LaDonna:
    Dont let others intimidate you.
    Speak your mind, whatever it is.
    LOL... you can't even quote me correctly. I actually said:

Ana, don't let others intimidate you. You have as much right to say what you think as anyone else here, even as much as the "soapboxy" ones
    Anyway, moving right along, Julie instructs us by saying:
    ...let us not... bemoaning the not-so-nice things that can be said and done by *others* while we ourselves are imperfect and share some of the guilt eh?
    Hmmm. Very interesting. So it's ok for you to bemoan about people on this discussion board (including me) but others shouldn't because they aren't perfect? Because your reply to me was bemoaning some of the things you have assumed about me. But that's ok, isn't it, as long as Ana or myself don't bemoan YOU or anyone else?

Julie then gives us some of her "wisdom":

When nobody does the rock throwing from the glass house thing it can actually be quite productive.....
    So true, Julie, so true.
  • mommy
    mommy

Ana,
    You asked:

I am wondering how many here are often reluctant to post their true opinions on certain subjects to evade being flamed, made to feel lesser than human, or being ganged up on?

I think you already know my answer on this one. I have no problem speaking my mind on a subject, though I have been careful of giving to much info due to the many who are fond of attacking. Take Prisca for example, she even used my hormonal upset during pregnancy as some kind of childish insult. Jeez I never thought giving out that kind of info would be cause for an attack. And Uncle Jimbo making a cutting remark about my daughter who is in poor health. Where do these people get off attempting to inflict pain for situations you have no control over? Personally I am not bothered by their ignorance. There must be something lacking in their lives for them to feel the need to try to get a reaction from others. I really feel sorry for them, and others who use these underhanded tactics.

I also feel the need, and do jump in and save certain ones who are being unfairly attacked. I have a real problem with those who are blinded by their own ignorance that they do not realize what their comments may be doing. I also feel the need to play peacemakeer at times, especially when I see those I respect combatting, it is really unsettling. I almost killed Dana and Expat in that thread when I realized they were joking! I was really upset about them fighting with each other.

I can see how many would shy away from posting on certain subjects, there are alot of controversial subjects discussed here. The insults will continue, there is no stopping that, even if Simon wants to tighten up on them they will continue. Because he can't catch them all, and trying to do so will ruin, imo, the way the board is now. I personally felt slighted when he interuppted a convo/flame war whatever it is called I was involved in, yet there are so many all over.

I do want to point out that I have been very good about keeping my mouth shut when Prisca speaks. Her ignorance is so obvious it is sickening. As I look through the threads I see her spouting snide, generalizations, on some of the most controversial threads. If she has the gahoonas to post those remarks, you would think she would be able to back them up and add a name or be more direct in what she is talking about. But I guess she feels that if she is insinuating an insult, she gets away with it? I don't know how does that work? Then when the person addresses her, she acts innocent of all charges. Yet if she never made generalized statements that instigate a fight, the fight would not even begin...am I right? I have kept my mouth shut about that, but to me she is doing exactly what she accuses others of. So sick of it[:]
    wendy

When I leave, you will know I have been here

• Prisca
    Prisca

Wendy, wendy, wendy,

I just knew you'd be giving me a piece of your mind. Even when it isn't asked for!

To answer your continual charge that I "attacked" you over your "hormonal upset" : Since you became pregnant, you have become much more bitchy in your attitude and comments. I wondered publically whether this was because of you being pregnant. On many times you denied that it was because of your pregnancy. You never indicated that you were under some "hormonal attack". So from that, one could conclude that you were saying that you are always this bitchy.

You also sprout forth:

As I look through the threads I see her spouting snide, generalizations, on some of the most controversial threads. If she has the gahoonas to post those remarks, you would think she would be able to back them up and add a name or be more direct in what she is talking about.
    So how many of these threads have you looked through? What remarks are you referring to?

So you are accusing me of GENERALISING??? LOLOLOLOLOL....

Ever heard of the Pot calling the Kettle black??

• Julie
    Julie

Prisca,

When someone gleefully aticipates a long drawn out flame war by getting her fat-free popcorn ready for the show, yeah, that means you *like* it when it gets good and bloody. No assumption here, everyone knows the real you enough for you to give it up on this Sweet Little Prisca thing. I mean really hun, you've done it to death and we all know othewise so save yourself and your friends the embarrassment of at least this part of your facade, K? Cause ain't no one buying *that* anymore.

As to the rest, too bad I foolishly thought an ambiguous nudge to Ana would suffice but of course, you had to come along and stick yourself into things, didn't you? Don't you have some food related event to go plan or something? Idle hands are the devil's workshop as they say, and free time on the DB is often exposure time for the, er, less perceptive, so just mosey on along, won't you dear?

Julie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit