A simple way to tell God probably doesn't exist

by poor places 126 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

I have to say...after praying for years for help for my feelings of depression, low self-esteem, suicidal thoughts, cutting, nightmares, ect...I didn't get any help. I also prayed for some sign, and didn't get that. I did finally meet a great NON-JW, non-religious man, though, so if god helped me with that, then that would be kind of funny.

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

To me, the thought of living things evolving two of the sexes simultaniously, to ensure procreation doesn't make sense, i.e., two horses of different sexes evolving at exactly the same rate of development to be able to 'make' baby horses seems hopelessly unlikely. There had to be a design there. High school biology told me life cannot come from inanimate things.

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

I look at it that IF there is a God who actually created universe, He doesn't care for his creation any more than a software creator cares about characters in a game. If he created us and required us to pray to him, obviously he would have some way of telling that we are praying otherwise what was the use of mankind praying to a deaf God? One can think of the movie Matrix and how a software knew what was going on in the system so likewise an Almighty would have some capability of hearing multiple prays and laws that may be unknown to us at present or our dimension could be in play BUT prayers aren't answered and only certain questionable characters claim to hear God's or Jesus' voice(Christian realm, I don't know about Muslims or Jews).

Many of us prayed, many of us prayed even harder when we found out wts was a fraud but all we could hear was silence and no sign or any kind. This silence reveals that God is not God of the bible, doesn't give a rat's ass about us or very possibly doesn't exist. There are those that can make any excuse for God why he doesn't answer but it's one's empty deception, a soothing idea to belief that there is something out there looking after us and that there is something more than this life - unfortunately there is no proof for any of it.

my 2cents worth on God

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I'm not saying that just because God doesn't give me a sign, I don't believe in him. I'm saying that I don't believe in him because he doesn't give a lot of people a sign. There are tons of believers who have to struggle with their faith because they haven't been given a sign. If the God of the scriptures exists, his existence should be obvious. Then everyone would believe in him, and there wouldn't be conflicts between Christians and Muslims, etc. He should be telling us directly what he wants. Again, if he was omnipotent, why wouldn't he? I feel like this is an unanswerable question for believers.

I see your point.

Yet it should be noted that no human in existence truly knows what it would be like to live in a world where God is obvious and everyone serves him the same (kind of sounds like a dictatorship to me). There's no reason to believe that the "God in the clouds" approach is the best one to take.

-Sab

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

As an aside, Sam Whiskey is as charming as ever. I am sure god is wondering why more people don't believe in him, since he has Sam to enlighten the way.... Maybe if god did his own talking for himself instead of having to rely on anonymous people on the internet (and non anyomous bedrocks of logic like Glen Beck) then more people would believe, but I digress.....

Really folks, I don't argue for god's existence, esp in the traditions of the West.

I actually believe in higher powers existing, in the same way that theories exist. It is just a theory of mine, which is why I don't argue for my beliefs. Actually "belief" is a strong word.

Spirituality is more relevant today anyway.

I think it's clear that the West, and fundies in general, need to rethink their no show of a god that they continue to insist is "right there in front of our face, if only we used our eyes of faith and believed, and tapped our heels three times together".

It won't happen. God as he is thought most certainly doesn't exist.

But since people of faith often refuse to produce any evidence other then their own faith, this is a topic that will continue to distract. Move on. God will show up if he wants, and if she does, she won't be mad at you. My parent's didn't get mad at me when they were late, they apologized. If God exists and is worthy of "worship", the first thing she will do is apologize for being late, exlain what the hell happened, then make some dinner. Probably for the good folks in Africa and other famine stricken parts of the earth. They need god's attention a little more then those of us in the West.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

There are many ways for prayers to be answered. Sometimes you are perplexed over a problem you cannot find the answer to. No one has been able to help you find the answer. Then after intense prayer, the idea comes to you. But there are other ways to tell your prayer has been answered. For people who are skeptical, nothing any of us can tell you will convince you of anything outside your own experience.

If you really want some proof, I recommend starting with books like the Small Miracles series. The authors were both raised by parents who survived the Holocaust. The books are full of coincidences that are too amazing to be chalked up to pure chance. I've had some experiences like the ones in the books. I have found them to be some of the most encouraging books I've read in my life.

http://www.betterworldbooks.com/small-miracles-id-1558506462.aspx

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

If even one person had a prayer answered all it would argue for is a God who is immoral. If it is moral to help you find the answer to a little puzzle in your life or to save your life in a car crash then it is simply evil to not help someone else with their puzzle and let them die in their crash. No prayers are answered by supernatural means. No coincidences are god's careful ordering of the universe in your favour. All religions involving invisible people prove themselves the same way ( when clearly both Thor and Zeus cannot coexist) by attributing any possible moral positive ( my harvest was plentiful, I feel et peace, I found my keys etc.) to supernatural benevolence and all moral negatives ( cancer, lost keys, depression etc.) to a satan, a test or to a personal 'impurity' i.e. a punishment.

No matter how special you think you are, how lucky to have found the right god, how wonderful it is to have divine providence in your life you are experiencing NOTHING that a Wotan worshipper hundreds of years before you and your Thetan aspiring neighbour haven't felt. In other words I as a Mormon once had all that the other xians had no matter how 'true' they think they are. I've had 'visions', 'demon' attacks, prayers 'answered', incredible coincidences , tear inducing joy during 'spiritual' moments and so on. I was just mistaken but it cost me a vast amount of personal pride to admit it.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

People who have prayers answered aren't special. I hear a saying quite often: "Everything happens for a reason." I sometimes think that life is like a game of Tetris: everything has to fit together. We don't understand now why someone dies and someone lives. I think one day we will. And who says we of the living are better off anyway? Maybe those that have passed on feel rather sorry for those us still struggling here.

We can't blame God for all that goes wrong here on earth. People are hugely responsible for most of the ills of earth living.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Fhn. Your god is responsible for everything that happens here. Remember he killed his son to pay for it all. Remember he made it all. Remember he is the ruler of it all. You can pretend to absolve your god. Logic fail I'm afraid.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Fhn. Your god is responsible for everything that happens here. Remember he killed his son to pay for it all. Remember he made it all. Remember he is the ruler of it all. You can pretend to absolve your god. Logic fail I'm afraid.

Oops, you got the wrong God there. You have my God and the fundy Christian god all mixed up. I d n't believe in any sacrificial death deal. People killed Jesus. Lots of people kill and it has nothing to do with God. People are very responsible for man's inhumanity to man, earth and animal kind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit