A simple way to tell God probably doesn't exist

by poor places 126 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bohm
    bohm

Sam Whiskey:

I've never personally met my great, great, great grandfather from the south of France. Does that mean he didn't exist?

you can put your mind at ease darlin', because i can tell you with certainty your (biological) grandfather must have been real.

oh wait... you were just trying to offer an overly simplistic counterpoint which does nothing to address poor places topic....

carry on!

• poor places
    poor places

@ Sam Whiskey,

I've never asked to be spoon-fed. All I asked for was a little evidence. A sign. And I never received a sign. Neither have tons of Jehovah's Witnesses. Believe me, I've talked to many of them, and none have ever told me an experience in which God revealed himself to them.

• moshe
    moshe
    I prayed to him for years and years and received no response.

It's just the educated hunch of a college dropout, but I believe that Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle precludes the possibilty of a personal God. The human brain operates by the movement of electrons and those movements generate conscious thought. Based on the Heisenberg principle, God can't know both the position and momentum of the electrons in any individuals brain, which prevents God from hearing your thoughts. There is no way to test this theory, but it explains to me why God doesn't answer prayers. I am either a genius or something else.

Lets go in reverse- if God wanted to communicate some spiritual details with , say the hard to find Faithful and discreet Slave, He would have to recreate an exact combination of electrons- their speed and momentum in the human brains from His location , far, far away, in order to create the thought He wants and according to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, God can't do this and still obey his laws.

It's only been in the last few years that more people are talking about this theory. 10 years ago when I first Goggled this idea, I got a big zero.

• ballistic
    ballistic

moshe maybe I'm on another planet tonight, but my concept of God, which is that god is "everything" isn't bound by uncertainty, but god is reality.

• sizemik
    sizemik

God's very inconsistent with humans it would appear . . .

Some get to see him manifest himself . . . Noah, Moses, Abraham, Paul, John . . . even the evil Pharaoah . . .

Others do not, no matter how much they beg. I guess we need to find out what "qualifies" us for special treatment from the God who "is not partial"

But hey . . . it appears the JW's don't qualify either.

• bohm
    bohm

moshe: Heisenbergs uncertainty principle also applies to electronics in computers, yet we can manipulate and understand what they do very well.

I see no reason why we should assume the brain is different, or why heisenberg applies.

At any rate, Heisenberg is just our description of ticks in a detector.. I believe that any theist will say god can make the detector tick any way he like.

• poor places
    poor places

@ Moshe,

I've never heard of the Heisenberg principle, but I guess that's one way of justifying God's silence. If He was omnipotent, though, wouldn't He be able to deal with electron problems and give a simple sign? He's the one who created electrons, right? Of course, this is from a believer's point of view. As an unbeliever, I can see what you're saying.

@ Sizemilk,

Exactly. You would expect God to be the most consistent creature of all time. But at some point, he stopped communicating with people. Why? Why wouldn't he communicate regularly with Jehovah's Witnesses if they were the only true religion? The Governing Body should be able to write Watchtower articles telling about conversations with God, but they don't, because he doesn't communicate with them or anyone else.

• jam
    jam

First of all I,m A agnostic, so I do not no if there is A GOD, Green

men from out of space or we are here along.

But here is A argument for the existing of God, I

found interesting.

There is the ontological argument. It begains with

the definition of God as "A being than which no greater

can be conceived." It is then argued that to exist is

greater than to no exist, and therefor the greatest

conceivable being must exist. If God did not exist,

then God would not be the greatest conceivable

being, and that would contradict the very definition

of God.. Make sense..

• moshe
    moshe
    moshe maybe I'm on another planet tonight, but my concept of God, which is that god is "everything" isn't bound by uncertainty, but god is reality.

I think you are trying to say, you want God to be what you want him to be, just like you have always been taught by religious teachers. Pollyannaism with it's all encompassing positive teachings/sayings about God does not help one find the truth about God or provide the answer for why God allows paradoxes. IMO

• sabastious
    sabastious
    At some point, you have to ask yourself why the God you love doesn't make it obvious that he exists.

It isn't obvious to you. No offense, but that really doesn't count for anything outside of your head.

Many people attest to the exact opposite: that God is obviously real even though many might be skeptic at their explanations and seek to find their "holes."

There's no shame in coming to the personal conclusion of atheism as there is no shame in coming to the personal conclusion of theism.

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit