Abusive Families Drawn Like Moths to a Flame or Does WTS Help Develop Abusive Attitude?

by OnTheWayOut 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Here's the conclusion I reached from the excellent comments.

Men who like to control are drawn to the WTS. Members are also trained by WTS to justify their actions of physical and emotional/verbal abuse and learn how to be more like the God they are worshipping.

So WTS both attracts and trains people to be abusive. As far as the sexual abuse of children goes, I think these are just sickos, but they feel safer in the WT environment. Many pedophiles might never act on their desires because they are not desires that their environment nurtures- intolerance of verbal/phsyical abuse or a group that doesn't put up with crap might keep them from ever acting. They might have gotten the help they needed if they weren't in the Hush-Hush Watchtower, but many probably would have been sickos anywhere. Certainly, they did more abuse in the WT environment than would have happened in many other places.

• ziddina
    ziddina

"Hush Hush Watchtower" - that's a good description!!

• Balaamsass
  • Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I've wondered about this for decades. JWs are isolated and JWs tend to ridicule this system of things and its laws. Many probably have no idea that corporal punishment (technically, even a spanking) is outlawed in at least half the states. Society has little tolerance for even spanking today compared to my youth. My father dangled my crippled brother off the steepest cliff in NJ when he was about three. A crowd of people stood and stared. NO adult even took down a license plate to call later. When I am around some out of control parent berating a child, I stop in my tracks and focus on details so I can testify later. Everyone seems to stop in their tracks. Cell phones are at the ready.

Contempt for law breeds contempt for society's moral standards. My father saw beating as a positive duty. I can't recall all the Proverbs citations but I doubt Proverbs says it is an affirmative duty. JW adults don't seem to realize that beating a small child is not exactly manly. My father kicked terriers in the head. Funny, but I bet Rotweiller and pit bulls are just as bad dog wise. He never took on a police officer with a bully club. Man up!

The JW culture preaches that children are an impediment to the truly grand work of knocking on doors. Children suck money away from the gluttonous society.

I believe dysfunctional families are drawn to the Society. Normal people ask questions. People report on the psychology of being isolated or alone and the KH is so full of love until you actually commit. The sanest person must be vulnerable when depressed and detached from society. I used to like the sense of duty the Witnesses imposed. Doing God's work allowed me to ignore the problems at home. My troubles were nothing compared to the kingdom. The culture places no value on women, children, and the disabled. If you can't do FS, you have no worth. Most people love children and dogs. To be realistic, every parent must fantasy about hurting a child at some point. Most people know to walk away that they are wrong or they seek help. Witnesses are told not to seek help. Speak to the elders with no knowledge. Brothers without children progressed further in my day. My KH had all these lazy sisters with foster male children. They had no male role models. The brothers wanted an unattainable level of behavior from children that age. Jesus at that age must have been a handful.

I am very curious what others think.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

I think it is both, the religion attracts abusive males and creates abnormal relationships.

Governing Body begat Zone overseer

Zone overseer begat District Overseer

District Overseer begat Circuit Overseer

Circuit Overseer begat Elder

Elder begat Ministerial Servant

Ministerial Servant begat Publisher.

The congregation is a reflection of reflections all the way to the top.

The top is rotten and thats why the congregations are. I honestly believe at the top is a group of abusive pedaphiles and their arse coverers.

oz

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Adding to my conclusion on the top of page 3, the 2/15/12 WT, p. 29 para. 12 certainly sways me toward the belief that WTS nurtures the abuser's thoughts and promotes actions in an unintended way.

A husband (or father/mother/other, but we will stick with the given example) reads into that and determines that it says wives should not talk back (make a point) or.they got it coming.

Many potentially abusive husbands would have kicked a door or taken it to the gym, but a JW just might see how Jehovah says wives that argue are better off being quieted.

I am thoroughly disgusted by that article.

• designs
    designs

Good observations and reporting OTWO.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit