religion only to do with belief?

by Curtains 48 Replies latest jw friends

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Belief is the cornerstone of everything.

What that belief is based on, that is the tricky part.

It should be based on reason and rational as much as on faith and hope.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Good points Mad... something for me to work on in future hypotheses...

• Curtains
    Curtains

mad sweeney

About the term "myth" I think you should have used it. Enough of us here know what the word actually means in the academic sense.

so what does myth mean in the academic sense?

and btw I used the word "only" in a question

concerned jw, please refer back to godrulz's post above regarding 1cor12-14. I say this because if you look at the context, starting in 1cor12 and read all the way through to the end of chapter 14 you will see that Paul is writing about the use and abuse of gifts and emphasizes that love is paramount. godrulz' theology is sound (his faults notwithstanding)

Also at 1cor 13:9 the word το τεγειον that is translated as the perfect thing in the kingdom interlinear is a noun and a more direct translation would be perfection.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

How is challenging 607 an attack on the bible exactly? Upon examination the bible fits perfectly within the established 587 chronology and fails miserably with the 607 chronology.

I don't want to hijack this thread into another 607 debate as there's plenty of those already on this board for you to look at, but i find your easy dismissal of anything contrary to your opinion as eerily reminiscent of my own thought processes before I did my own research into my religion of birth. There was no bigotry in my post to you either it was merely trying to make you see the value of actually thinking.

You sound a bit like DJeggnog tbh....

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

607 is NOT secular NOR is it biblical, the ONLY ones that don't see that ( they refuse to see it because it undermines their erroneous doctrines) are the JW's.

Enough said.

• simon17
    simon17

Religion is all belief and faith.

Except people in religions usually will say that their belief is based on facts and evidence.

The only things is that its the type of facts and evidence that basically no one else agrees with.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

so what does myth mean in the academic sense?

If you don't know then perhaps it was best that you didn't use it after all. If you do know then there's no need to ask the question.

• Curtains
    Curtains

I have a feeling we are all talking at cross purposes -so I think I'm going to let this thread die. thanks to you all for commenting

• Concerned JW
    Concerned JW

Thats a shame Curtains. I have to admit though your recent reply was disappointing I expected more depth from you than just buying into gudrulz "Bible for beginners" explanations that tries to show scriptures can cancel out each other out, when all scripture is written for our instruction and understanding. I enjoyed the chance to debate with you though.

• Curtains
    Curtains

concerned JW I was also hoping to enjoy a debate with you but really don't appreciate your sometimes demeaning tone and your convoluted reasoning. I would not call that debate. Nor do I really have sufficient interest in theology to sustain a discussion with you.

The reason I brought up this subject is to explore how much of religion is to do with re-enchantment firstly through beliefs which would include re-configuring myths, and secondly through group enactment in the form of group worship and the carrying out of signifcant rituals (my idea was that perhaps Jehovahs witnesses' door to door work would come into this latter category).

Thirdly there is the experiential aspect of religion. In this latter respect Godrulz has corrected my understanding of Pentecostalism in that I now see speaking in tongues as something the scriptures indicate is done mainly in the form of communicating with one's God rather than with others. I guess a process of re-enchantment does occur but this would be in a more mysterious experiential rather than rational way. Kudos to them for keeping mystery in their religion. However I do understand that there are branches of pentecostalism in which speaking in tongues is a public activity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit