Calling all you vegans! I need your recipes.

by watersprout 38 Replies latest jw friends

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I have some recipes for you waterspout. I personally don't care for the vegan cheese. I tried it,but it doesn't seem to melt as well. But,add veggies to the pizza too.

I like soup a lot. And they have some vegetable stock sold in stores or you can make your own. I like vegetable soup,with beans put in first,celery and onions,carrots,potatoes,and some canned whole tomatoes cut up for flavor.

I also like a wild rice and mushroom soup. And my favorite is broccoli and potato soup,and you put some of it in a blender after it's cooked,good stuff.

The easiet way to transition into being a vegan is lots of stir-fry. And add your favorite grain,rice or rice pilaf for a change.

Also black bean or vegetable burritos,just some ideas. Oh,and I love pita bread and hummus.

• talesin
    talesin

Black, that sounds yummy! kinda like Bananas Oscar without the booze .... :)

No, I'm not vegan, but have to eat a special diet,,, and have had vegan friends (the corn chowder was my vegan pot-luck special lol)

t

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

It is yummy. I just had it for breakfast.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Oh,I got a vegan cholocate cake recipe I make all the time. I got it from Vegetarian Times magazine. It comes from a popular vegetarian restaurant in New York.

1 1/2 cups of unbleached white flour

1/3 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. of salt

1 cup of sugar

1/2 cup of vegetable oil

1 cup of cold water or chilled brewed coffee

2 tsp. of pure vanilla extract

1 Tbs. of vinegar

1.Preheat over to 375 degrees and I use cooking spray on a 8 inch square pan or round baking pan. Dust with sifted cocoa.

2.To make Chocolate Cake sift flour,cocoa,soda,salt, and sugar. In another bowl,combine oil,water or coffee,and vanilla. Pour liquid into dry and mix until smooth.

3.Add vinegar and stir briefly,baking soda with begin to react with vinegar leaving pale swirls in batter. Pour batter in prepared pan.

4.Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.

5. To make Chocolate Peanut Butter Frosting,in heavy saucepan,melt chocolate over medium heat,(2 oz. of unsweetened chocolate). Beat together peanut butter(1/4 cup)water(3 to 4 Tbs.)and vanilla(1 tsp. of vanilla extract) until smooth. Beat in confectioners' sugar(1 cup)and add melted chocolate,mixing until blended. Spread frosting on cooled cake.

8 servings and 440 calories per serving if you're counting.

I make this a lot and it's big hit and most ask for the recipe,and most aren't vegans. Sorry,my country isn't in the metric system yet. lol.

• deep-blue-sea
    deep-blue-sea

I'm Italian origin. We make large use of vegetables. I have been Chef Teacher in a kitchen-school during years. We love to eat... good things!

I would suggest:

Simple tomato salade:

2 sliced tomatoes possibly not entirely red, dispose in a dish, add origan, salt, olive oil, sliced red onion, black olives, you can also add cuncumber..

Delicious Eggplants:

1st: Sliced 1 eggplant not very thick and grill them, serve with parsley, smashed garlic and olive oil, do the same with zucchini... if you would and could you could add a cheese slice in between, when still warm..it will melt..delicious!

2nd: Eggplant salad: Cut the eggplant in small squared pieces cook them in hot water, when ready (10-15 min) drain. When cold, add: Olive oil, vinager, salt, parsley, garlic, origan ... to be kept in the fridge even a few days!

I stop here, if you need me again.. I'm here

Regards, Claudia

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Congrats and good luck on your conversion to an all- veggie diet!

Am enjoying this recipe in the summer heat:

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/2935

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Claudia, are you still living in Italy?

• eva luna
    eva luna

There's alot you can eat minus the meat and dairy. It is a fun challange and you have some great sugestions already Watersprout.

If you freeze frim tofu it gets even firmer. I like to marinade it with some light tamari, grated ginger and garlic. Then coat the slices in seasame seeds, grill it hot like Talesin said, for a yummy sandwich. Or stuff it in a pocket bread with sweet marinated onions, cucumber, tomatoes and lots of tzatziki sause. Tzatziki sause is so good I will use it for a dip with anything even my finger...lol

Pesto goes good on everything , even a baked potatoe. You can make a pesto from cilantro too, Alot of people in my area are using cilantro for medicinal purposes.

Alot of Mediteranian area [Italy , Greece, etc.] dishes use no meat or dairy. INdian food too. ( yumm, dolmas, olives, wine. I hope wine is still on your talble ;-)

If you can learn to make your own Dahl seasonings minus the ghee, try using mung or azuki beans instead of lentils. That and brown rice is very healthy.

PLantanos con crema, minus the cream, ie platinos and yummy black beans. with a nice salald , use lemons instead of vinigers for a chamge.

Have fun

• Leolaia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit