Calling all you vegans! I need your recipes.

by watersprout 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

There are soy cream cheese products out there.

Quinoa is great stuff WS, you should definitely add it to your diet. It's currently the only non animal complete protein known. A fairly recent discovery.

My father was a Vegan. My mother made cornbread, pumpkin pie etc. just no egg or cream/milk.

• Scully
    Scully

Apparently there is a cream cheese substitute - based either from rice or tofu. Have fun experimenting!

http://cindalouskitchenblues.blogspot.com/2007/08/gf-df-scrumptious-quinoa-carrot-cake.html

• Berengaria
  • watersprout
    watersprout

Thanks that cake looks yummy! I think its a definate must try.

Beks I will have a look out for the soy cream cheese. Thanks.

Peace

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Monkey! Now I'm going to have to make a cake. Hrmmpph! This looks really good

Egg substitute, soy milk, and oil should make it acceptable WaterSprout

Quinoa Chocolate Cake

Not only does this cake contain no wheat, it contains no flour – made with cooked quinoa, it has a dense, moist texture and intense chocolate flavour. Excerpted from Quinoa 365 by Patricia Green and Carolyn Hemming (Whitecap)

2/3 cup white or golden quinoa

1 1/3 cup water

1/3 cup milk

4 large eggs

1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

3/4 cup butter, melted and cooled

1 1/2 cups sugar

1 cup cocoa powder

1 1/2 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt

Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Cover, reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave the covered saucepan on the burner for another 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and allow the quinoa to cool.

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease two 8-inch round or square cake pans. Line the bottoms of the pans with parchment paper.

Combine the milk, eggs and vanilla in a blender or food processor. Add 2 cups cooked quinoa and the butter and continue to blend until smooth.

Whisk together the sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Add the contents of the blender and mix well. Divide the batter evenly between the 2 pans and bake on the center oven rack for 40 to 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven and cool completely in the pan before serving. Frost if desired. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 1 month. Serves 8-16.

http://mamasoncall.com/2011/01/quinoa-chocolate-cake/

• watersprout
    watersprout

I'm going to put banans in it! I luuuvvv bananas! I need to go shopping for ingredients now! I will proabably be the first fat vegan with all this cake I will be making. Lol

Peace

• talesin
    talesin

quick and easy corn chowder

dice a medium size potatoe, and small onion

cover with water in a small pot, boil gently till cooked

add one can creamed corn,, a large pinch of curry (my secret ingredient for chowder), salt & pepper to taste

stir in some rice or soy milk for creaminess

Grilled tofu slices ,,,

make a marinade with some black bean paste (available as Asian groceries, dried black beans, garlicky, and you only need a teaspoon or tablespoon for flavour in a farily large dish,, olive oil, and minced ginger (add any other spices, flavours you like), maybe some soya sauce,,, you don't need vinegar as the tofu doesn't need to be tenderized.

Slice firm tofu about one half inch thick, and place in a baggie with the marinade - refrigerate overnight ,,,

Heat up your frying pan to medium high,,, add olive oil for frying, and saute the slices --- heat needs to be as high as possible without smoking so that they brown!

You can also do them on the grill,,, if using an outdoor grill, I always put another wire cooling rack on TOP of the bbq, crosswise so things don't fall through.

Serve up with your favorite veggs ...

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    I will proabably be the first fat vegan with all this cake I will be making.

No you won't. I had one vegan complain to me that she had put on lots of weight as a vegan despite being on less calories than she was as an omni.

Split an unpeeled banana.

Place skin down in an oiled frying pan. I use coconut oil.

Cook until skin is dark, turn over, cook until nicely browned.

Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon, and drizzle with lemon or lime juice.

• watersprout
    watersprout

Thank you Talesin. . . Are you vegan??

Beks i'm in the UK. Sorry didn't see your post.

Peace

• talesin
    talesin

Guacamole

crush the fruit of 1-2 avocadoes, and add 2-3 minced garlic cloves,, a splash of lime juice, a tbsp of mayo,,, and if you like it hot, dice up some fresh jalapeno peppers ...

good served with hummus and some pita bread for a light lunch ...

Hummus

1 c. dried garbanzo beans (chick peas)

tahini (sesame paste, available at gcery store, or Arab grocery)

olive oil

garlic

Cook 1 cup garbanzo beans (chick peas) --- put in a pot with 1 tsp. of baking soda (very IMPORTANT), 6 cups of COLD water, and bring to a boil for 2 mins. Cover, cool and leave one to two hours. Bring back to a rolling boil, and 15-20 mins later, your beans should be nice and soft.

Drain the beans, conserving the water for later.

Mince at least 4 cloves of garlic.

Add 1/2 the beans, about 1/4 c olive oil, and a bit of the bean water to your blender --- puree. Keep adding beans and water,,, and about 1/4 c of tahine,, along with the minced garlic. Continue to puree, add water/beans, puree, etc. till you get the right consitencyy/flavour ..

t

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit