It's all getting to me now...I let them back in my head, help

by discreetslave 54 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Read this from time to time and you'll soon see how high controlling religious cults operate and how they mentally

attain devoted and supportive followers.

Ten warning signs of a potentially unsafe group/leader.
    1. Absolute authoritarianism without meaningful accountability.

2. No tolerance for questions or critical inquiry.

3. No meaningful financial disclosure regarding budget, expenses such as an independently audited financial statement.

4. Unreasonable fear about the outside world, such as impending catastrophe, evil conspiracies and persecutions.

5. There is no legitimate reason to leave, former followers are always wrong in leaving, negative or even evil.

6. Former members often relate the same stories of abuse and reflect a similar pattern of grievances.

7. There are records, books, news articles, or television programs that document the abuses of the group/leader.

8. Followers feel they can never be "good enough".

9. The group/leader is always right.

10. The group/leader is the exclusive means of knowing "truth" or receiving validation, no other process of discovery is really acceptable or credible.

Ten warning signs regarding people involved in/with a potentially unsafe group/leader.
    1. Extreme obsessiveness regarding the group/leader resulting in the exclusion of almost every practical consideration.

2. Individual identity, the group, the leader and/or God as distinct and separate categories of existence become increasingly blurred. Instead, in the follower's mind these identities become substantially and increasingly fused--as that person's involvement with the group/leader continues and deepens.

3. Whenever the group/leader is criticized or questioned it is characterized as "persecution".

4. Uncharacteristically stilted and seemingly programmed conversation and mannerisms, cloning of the group/leader in personal behavior.

5. Dependency upon the group/leader for problem solving, solutions, and definitions without meaningful reflective thought. A seeming inability to think independently or analyze situations without group/leader involvement.

6. Hyperactivity centered on the group/leader agenda, which seems to supercede any personal goals or individual interests.

7. A dramatic loss of spontaneity and sense of humor.

8. Increasing isolation from family and old friends unless they demonstrate an interest in the group/leader.

9. Anything the group/leader does can be justified no matter how harsh or harmful.

10. Former followers are at best-considered negative or worse evil and under bad influences. They can not be trusted and personal contact is avoided.
  • ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi discreetslave, it sounds like you had a perfect hour or two of relaxation while your family went to the meeting. I was wondering how you could keep your husband and family busy, having fun, and away from the KH. I know that you don't want to trigger their stumbling alarms by having "Crisis of Conscience" laying around the house. What would your husband think about having travel, boating, fishing, NASCAR, Investment Business Daily magazines around the house?

Considering that the WTBTS has changed doctrines from "1914: The Generation that will not Pass" to "Overlapping Generations", you and your husband may need to spend more time learning about investing and managing your portfolio for retirement. The more time your husband spends away from JWs, the easier it will be for you and your children. I wonder what is more important, "Doing FS, or providing for your family?" I am sure that the Bible would say providing for your family.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

ABibleStudent

• discreetslave
  • Free39
    Free39

Hi Discreetslave

I am a born-again ex-JW from the UK, You may already know all this, but in case you don't yet.....

If you still have niggles about reading apostate literature, then don't bother, just read the watchtower's own. Here's some quotes that prove their

doctrine has radically changed and the WT is a false prophet, they speak for themselves..

Just ask yourself "Since the Watchtower was wrong in the past about many of its teachings and the light continues to get brighter (Proverbs 4:18), how do you know that the current teachings are correct and won't change?"

1897 "Our Lord, the appointed King, is now present, since October 1874,"

Studies in the Scriptures, Vol. 4, page 621.

1899 "...the ‘battle of the great day of God Almighty' (Revelation 16:14), which will end in A.D. 1914 with the complete overthrow of earth's present rulership, is already commenced."

The Time Is at Hand, page 101
    (1908 edition).1918 "Therefore we may confidently expect that 1925 will mark the return of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and the faithful prophets of old, particularly those named by the Apostle in Hebrews 11, to the condition of human perfection."

Millions Now Living Will Never Die, page 89.

1889 "In the coming 26 years, all present governments will be overthrown and dissolved."

(C.T. Russell, Studies in the Scriptures, Vol. 2, p. 98-99, 1889

1889 "In this chapter we present the Bible evidence which indicates that six thousand years from the creation of Adam were complete with A.D. 1872; and hence that, since A.D. 1872 are chronologically entered upon the seventh thousand or the Millennium."

(Studies in the Scriptures,
    Vol. 2, p. 33, 1889)

1894 "We see no reason for changing the figures - nor could we change them if we would. They are, we believe, God's dates, not ours. But bear in mind that the end of 1914 is not the date for the beginning, but for the end of the time of trouble."

(Watchtower July 15, 1894,
    p 266; p 1677 reprints)

1915 "The present great war in Europe is the beginning of the Armageddon of the Scriptures Rev 19:16-20). It will eventuate in the complete overthrow of all the systems of error which have so long oppressed the people of God and deluded the world. We believe the present war cannot last much longer until revolutions shall break out"

(C.T. Russell, Pastor Russell's Sermons, p. 676, Sometime during World War I)

1915 "In view of this strong Bible evidence concerning the Times of the Gentiles, we consider it an established truth that the final end of the kingdoms of this world, and the full establishment of the kingdom of God, will be accomplished near the end of A.D. 1915.

(The Time Is At Hand,
    1915 edition, p. 99)

1917 'No doubt Satan believed the Millennial Kingdom was due to be set-up in 1915...Be that as it may, there is evidence that the establishment of the Kingdom in Palestine will probably be in 1925, ten years later than we once calculated.'

(Studies In The Scriptures, Vol 7, The Finished Mystery, p. 128)

1943 "Man cannot by airplane or rockets or other means get above the air envelope which is about our earthly globe..."

(The Truth Shall Make you Free, p. 285, 1943 edition)

1968 "Why Are You Looking Forward To 1975?" ... "What about all this talk concerning the year 1975? Lively discussions, some based on speculation, have burst into flame during recent months among serious students of the Bible. Their interest has been kindled by the belief that 1975 will mark the end of 6,000 years of human history since Adam's creation. The nearness of such an important date indeed fires the imagination and presents unlimited possibilities for discussion."

(Watchtower, Aug. 15, 1968, p. 494)

1974 "Yes, the end of this system is so very near! Is that not reason to increase our activity?...Reports are heard of brothers selling their homes and property and planning to finish out the rest of their days in this old system in the pioneer service. Certainly this is a fine way to spend the short time remaining before the wicked world's end."

(Kingdom Ministry, May 1974, p. 3)

1974 'It also tells us that this millennium must be preceded immediately by the most destructive war in all human history.
    We can now see the political rulers...
    being gathered... for that
    War of all wars....'

(Watchtower, July 1, 1974, p 397)

All who want to understand the Bible should appreciate that the "greatly diversified wisdom of God" can become known only through Jehovah's channel of communication, the faithful and discreet slave,"

(The Watchtower; 10/1/94; p. 8).

Thousands of the readers of Pastor Russell's writings believe that he filled the office of 'that faithful and wise servant,' and that his great work was giving to the household of faith meat in due season. His modesty and humility precluded him from openly claiming this title, but he admitted as much in private conversation, Watchtower 12/1/1916, page. 357.

Keep on seeking out the glorious riches that you have in Christ.

• cult classic
    cult classic

So they want to meet with you soon? Like today? So they can make the announcement on Tuesday? Keep us posted.

I just checked my pms and responded to yours.

• discreetslave
    discreetslave

Welcome Free39!!! You have a PM

• Free39
    Free39

Thanks discreet slave.

I'm new to this and have no idea what a PM is? I suppose it must be a message of some kind, but I have no idea how to access it. Any clues?

• designs
    designs

Free39

There is a letter symbol at the top of the page next to your name, click it and go to the PM page.

FYI- don't the common mistake and mix the Beliefs of Russell and the Bible Students with the Beliefs and views of Rutherford and the Jehovah's Witnesses. These are different religions that had a few things in common. Think of it like accusing Lutherans of things the Catholics did and Believed. Rutherford had been a Bible Student but throughout the 1920s he abandoned the views of Russell and the Bible Students and promoted his own agenda, and in 1930 announced the formal name of his new Group.

Regards

• discreetslave
    discreetslave

I didn't take the phone call from the elders. So my husband asked if I would sign & date the letter. I had forgotten to do that.

I want out of this religion but out of spite part of me doesn't want to sign it so they have to scramble & figure out how else to get rid of me.

• Concerned JW
    Concerned JW

I am sorry about your decision to leave the Jehovah's Witnesses. You must know they are an established religion by Law. The use of Steve Hassan's book among other's on here is very dishonest. Steve Hassan himself is a Jew and has no problem with the authoritive structure of mainstream religions. A self-made choice to obey biblical directives is not control but those who are disobedient to bible directives would have you believe it is.

If you think Witnesses are not following the bible, personally I would be interesting as to which bit you are refering too? Arguments against an authoritive structure are self-defeating as most on here will accept secular governments. So do you think we don't need structure within God's organisation? The Bible clearly shows this is not the case right from Moses setting up men in positions over the various tribes and Jesus establishing the Apostles and they themselves assigning Elders to each congregation (all imperfect except Jesus).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit