Have Jehovah's Witnesses (The WTBTS) taken the Best Years of your life?

by Hairyhegoat 48 Replies latest jw friends

• man in black
  • man in black
    man in black

let me try posting again.

I had an opportunity to go to veterinary school, and my boss at the time was going to pay most of the costs.

But because I was a good little jw, I did not accept this offer.

And boy was I praised over and over for "rejecting higher education".

I think about this almost everyday, but I am going to college although I realize that I will not ever become a vet at this point in life.

• Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.
    Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.

Whether or not the jws benefitted from the 'best' years of my life, 21 to 36, I will never know. Perhaps the youthful vitality and enthusiasm enjoyed could have been better spent than in fear and servitude to an organisation that pursues the most time wasting activity known to mankind - that of preaching the end of the world by some fairy tale mythical creature.

But, one thing I do know without any shadow of a doubt, is that ALL persons in any way connected to the wts/jws are a pack of deceitful, untrustworthy, treacherous, manipulative, soul destroying, and unloving pack of arseholes. No exceptions. No apologies.

Cheeses. Chosen for all the wrong reasons.

Disclaimer. The above may offend some with jw relatives. Sorry. It was meant to offend all with so called 'loving jw relatives.

• moshe
    moshe

I might have done some things a differently- mainly working through the winters instead of getting laid off a lot ( JW attitude did not help), so my pension would have been a few hundred a month more- but I was smart enough refuse the offer to go to Bethel and work for free on their construction crew in 1976. Application all filled out, but I just couldn't do it. I would have had some real vacations instead of sitting in hot ball stadiums listening to WT talks for 5 days. Life would have been more normal, but I was still able to salvage a pretty good last half by getting out of the KH at age 38.

So, while the KH got the youngest years of my life, they did not take away the best years of my life

• Sayswho
    Sayswho

Perhaps the "best productive years" have been taken away from me...I am over 50 and the time left for a "Real" life is reduced. It‘s more difficult to learn new things and the opportunities for those in my age bracket just aren’t there…those in their 20-40 range look at the over 50 as insignificant…You know--Lacking value; worthy of little regard. Of course not all feel this way but this is the generally held feelings that prevail.In my field (Job) young and older people need to come to me for help, some are smarter than me some not…I just know more or how to figure things out.I do not think I’m better or think less of them…it’s mostly about attitude—you know.

Oh I did find some perks for being over 50 online... See I knew life would get better after WT

1. Kidnappers are not very interested in you.
    2. In a hostage situation you are likely to be released first.
    3. No one expects you to run--anywhere.
    4. People call at 9 PM and ask, “Did I wake you????”
    5. People no longer view you as a hypochondriac.
    6. There is nothing left to learn the hard way.
    7. Things you buy now won't wear out.
    8. You can eat dinner at 4 PM.
    9. Your supply of brain cells is finally down to manageable size.
    10. You get into heated arguments about pension plans.
    11. You no longer think of speed limits as challenge.
    12. You quit trying to hold your stomach in no matter who walks into the room.
    13. You sing along with elevator music.
    14. Your eyes won't get much worse.
    15. Your investment in health insurance is finally beginning to pay off.
    16. Your joints are more accurate meteorologists than the national weather service.
    17. Your secrets are safe with your friends because they can't remember them either.
    18. You can't remember if you've read this before

"Everyone will die but not everyone really lives"

Sw

• Awen
    Awen

If the WTBTS "took" anything from me, then I know it was my own fault as I chose to stay as long as I did.

I also know the reason why I stayed as long as I did. For my friends.

I came to a realization about love for Christ vs love for friends and family.

Matthew 10: 37 "Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me."

This scripture is often used by JW's to get people into the organization. For me it was a way out. I had to (yet again) leave all I had loved becausemy love for Christ was stronger. I do not regret it as I have found new friends and families. Unlike Lot's wife, I do not look at the things behind, but forward to what lies ahead. I feel this is the BEST way to see my time with the WTBTS.

I'm not putting down anyone who has stayed or is staying in the org for the sake of friends and family. Never being married or having kids made this exit very easy, though I still miss my friends sometimes.

I hope one day they will see the Light as I have and come to know Jesus as I have and not as the WTBTS teaches.

Peace and Love,

Awen

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

I'm not sure about "The Best", but definitely some of the good ones are gone. I have made some seriously bad decisions because of being a Witness. I have missed plenty of opportunities to learn and experience life.

But, I have lots of time left, if I can only get out the way I want to...soon and with as much of my family as possible.

• Tomapostate
    Tomapostate

Oh yes. Still struggling to sort my life. What can you do?

• d
    d

No not really I am only 21 and have the whole world ahead of me.Since leaving I have really matured in my thinking and views.

• ~Question With Boldness~
    ~Question With Boldness~

I got out fairly quickly, thanks to a very courageous man who was willing to dive in head first to drag me out of there, even if it meant cracking his skull on the shallow JW pool - so I can't begin to relate to some of the long term, several decades long stories some of you relate. But I do at times feel that it did take the better part of my years. I won't get into a pity party but I'll just say my childhood, youth and young adulthood were not pleasant, and the things that could've made it more enjoyable were stolen from me... There are the small things, the parties, the dances, dating... Never experienced those... then there are the larger things...So many past times and interests I could have pursued, so many good friends I could have made but didn't because they were worldly. So much time I wasted trying to convince others of a belief system that I would come to reject. So much charity I could have done/given but didn't....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit