DON'T SPEND TIME WITH PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES.

by Hairyhegoat 62 Replies latest jw experiences

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Don't associate with outsiders (non-Jehovah's Witnesses). You are too busy for that! Watchtower, 2/1/74, p.93.

Here is the first reference from the OP - 2/1/74 WT page 93. It is NOT a lie as Desirous of Change claimed:

ASSOCIATIONS

22 Christian parents often find that problems arise when their children begin to associate with other children in the neighborhood or with schoolmates. They must, of course, have some association with outsiders. Complete isolation today is next to impossible and is inadvisable. Worldly associates vary in the degree of unchristian influence that they exert. But parents need to know with whom their children talk and play. While some worldly persons today have certain admirable characteristics, it must be remembered that one who is not a worshiper of Jehovah cannot be said to be good company.—1 Cor. 15:33.

23 In a general way one might say that there are really only two kinds of associates. Proverbs 13:20 says: “He that is walking with wise persons will become wise, but he that is having dealings with the stupid ones will fare badly.” Of course, just who it is that are the wise ones is not identified here. But the Bible makes clear elsewhere what kind of wisdom is meant. Psalm 111:10 says: “The fear of Jehovah is the beginning of wisdom.” So worshipers of Jehovah are the wise ones with whom your children should associate. This will help them to become truly wise. The ideal situation is for parents to have such a fine program outlined for their children that little or no time remains for outside associations. Being with the family or other Christians becomes so interesting and absorbing that other associations do not become a temptation. But if they do, then parents should take time to make clear to the child the Bible’s viewpoint on the matter; at the same time they should firmly exercise needed control.

24 Should Christian parents actually be that frank and straightforward in teaching their children about worldly associations? Why not? Children, generally, appreciate being told the truth of a matter so it is not misunderstood. At least a number of them today claim they want older ones to “tell it as it is.” Of course, children should also be taught kindness and tact so as to be able to deal with others in a loving way. But it is not sufficient for the parents alone to be aware of the dangers of wrong associations. If children are to be protected, then they too must know the dangers, and it is the responsibility of the parents to make the point clear.

25 In seeking to build within their children the durable qualities that they need in order to survive the trials that are still ahead for all true Christians, parents should look to Jehovah for strength and guidance. (1 Cor. 3:10-15) Training children so that they grow up to be a source of pleasure to their parents and an honor to God is no easy thing. It requires constant vigilance. But, while it is a responsibility that causes anxious moments at times, it is also a privilege given to us by a loving God that primarily brings joy. There can indeed be satisfaction and joy in training children.

• cantleave
    cantleave

HHG - All your summarisations are correct!!!!

Great post

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Association with non-Jehovah's Witness kids should be limited to trying to convert them. "Your Youth-Getting the Best Out of It."1976, p. 65.

Here is the second reference from the OP. Again, the OP is TRUE, Desirous of Change is FALSE:

18 Sometimes a young person may say that he or she associates with another of questionable ways and reputation so as to help that one. To want to help others is a fine thing. But if you go along with them in their selfish pleasures, how much help are you giving them? For example, if you saw a child in a mud puddle, would you take some soap out into the puddle and try to clean the child with it? You would only get yourself dirty as a result. You would first have to try to encourage the child to come out of the mud puddle before you could hope to do anything about cleaning him up at close range.

19 Actually, to accept a person with bad habits as a close associate will often have a bad effect on that person (as well as on yourself). Why? Because it may encourage him to keep on in the same way, feeling that he can always rely on your backing him up. Wouldn’t it be of far greater help to limit your association to times when you can really aid the person by pointing out good counsel and by inviting him to accompany you to places where that counsel is explained?

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Writing Department can't exactly say those words, but they express the conclusion that they want the sheeples to reach. Even the first YPA video couldn't directly state "all kids that are not JWs take drugs and want to use you or have sex with you", but that was the underlying message.

It used to be at the conventions and assemblies, the speakers would make extreme statements and be more specific in condemnation. Now they have to be more careful. As one DO recently said, "we don't want to get sued by saying 'Facebook'." Now it falls to the CO and local congregation to make the most harsh and extreme statements.

• sabastious
    sabastious

Someone needs to look up the word "paraphrase" in the dictionary.

-Sab

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Remember, you are to have "no association" with non-Jehovah's Witness friends or relatives. If they are honest and moral, that still does not make any difference. Watchtower, 2/15/60, pp. 112-113.

And the third point, that Desirous of Change called a lie, is also TRUE. Who's the liar?

AVOID WRONG ASSOCIATION

4 In connection with avoiding the badness of the world and associating with God’s people, the apostle Paul wrote: “Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership do righteousness and lawlessness have? Or what fellowship does light have with darkness? . . . Or what portion does a faithful person have with an unbeliever? . . . For we are the temple of the living God; just as God said: ‘I shall reside among them and walk among them, and I shall be their God, and they will be my people.’ ‘“Therefore get out from among them, and separate yourselves,” says Jehovah, “and quit touching the unclean thing,’” ‘“and I will take you in.’” ‘“And I shall be a father to you, and you will be sons and daughters to me,” says Jehovah the Almighty.’” Notice the repeated advice about avoiding wrong association, ‘from these turn away,’ ‘get out from among them,’ ‘separate yourselves,’ and then ‘I will take you in.’ There is to be no partnership, no fellowship, no portion, no sharing with unbelievers. In other words, no association with them if one is to associate with God.—2 Cor. 6:14-18; Ezek. 37:27, RS; Isa. 52:11; Ezek. 20:41,

5 This does not mean, of course, that the dedicated Christian must isolate himself from all contact with this present system of things. In the course of his work, daily living and preaching he comes in touch with employer, fellow workers, business associates, family, neighbors and others. To avoid all contact would almost mean to get off the earth. (1 Cor. 5:10) But, to ‘turn away from such,’ to avoid association with them means not to have fellowship with those whose thoughts are not in harmony with God’s thoughts, that is, not to share in their thoughts or conduct. The thinking of materialistic-minded persons is not in harmony with God’s thinking. Even if such acquaintances are not dishonest or immoral, their first concern is not the worship and service of Jehovah. One who associates regularly with them will soon think as they do. Expose the mind to their thoughts and one’s faith in the new world will become weakened, zeal will be quenched, integrity will collapse, and the conscience will be dulled so that one does not take Jehovah’s requirements of study and service seriously. Useful habits of study and service that have been formed will be spoiled. It is this danger the apostle Paul considered when warning Christians against associating with those who had no hope in a resurrection and hence no real incentive to right conduct. “Do not be misled. Bad associations spoil useful habits. Wake up to soberness in a righteous way and do not practice sin, for some are without knowledge of God.” (1 Cor. 15:33, 34) Why share the thoughts of those who have no knowledge of God and no concern about it?—Phil. 3:18, 19.

6 Still there are those who think that they can allow themselves to seek association with worldly friends or relatives for entertainment. But how can a Christian ‘put away the old personality which conforms to his former course of conduct’ and ‘put on the new personality which was created according to God’s will in true righteousness’ by continuing to associate with those who still have deceptive desires? (Eph. 4:22-24) Rather, “do not become partners with them; for you were once darkness, but you are now light in connection with the Lord. Go on walking as children of light . . . Keep on making sure of what is acceptable to the Lord; and quitsharing with them in the unfruitful works which belong to the darkness.” (Eph. 5:7-11) Peter also advised one to “live the remainder of his time in the flesh, no more for the desires of men, but for God’s will. . . . Because you do not continue running [or associating] with them in this course . . . they are puzzled and go on speaking abusively of you.” We should be as aliens and temporary residents with respect to the conduct of this generation.—1 Pet. 4:2-4; 2:11, 12.

7 The danger of wrong association was emphasized by Jehovah in his laws to the Israelites as they were getting ready to move into the Promised Land and thus come into nearer touch with the heathen Canaanites. “You must conclude no covenant with them nor show them any favor. And you must form no marriage alliance with them. Your daughter you must not give to his son . . . For he will turn your [children] from following me and they will certainly serve other gods.” Israel’s history since that time is tragic proof of what happens when one violates this principle.—Deut. 7:2-4.

8 If one holds to a good conscience, that is, keeps his conscience sensitized to Jehovah’s principles, then he could not enjoy association with this world. Remember how Lot felt when living in Sodom? We read that he “was greatly distressed by the indulgence of the law-defying people in loose conduct—for that righteous man by what he saw and heard while dwelling among them from day to day was tormenting his righteous soul by reason of their lawless deeds.” (2 Pet. 2:7, 8) Though he lived there and preached to them, yet Lot neither shared their thoughts nor joined in their conduct; his soul was distressed and tormented by their conduct. If a Christian today enjoys association with this world and its thinking, then there is something wrong with his conscience. If his conscience is properly trained, it should be distressed by such fellowship. Also, if one’s conduct and conversation are such that worldly persons are glad to have one with them in their company, something is wrong with one’s conduct; for if one’s conduct and conversation were right, it should disturb their conscience because of reproving or condemning them.—1 Pet. 3:16; Eph. 5:11.

9 One should never be deceived into thinking that by such association one is really helping other persons learn the truth. By sharing in the wrong thoughts and actions of worldly associates, one will never bring them to the truth, but such will likely take the believing one away from it. (1 Cor. 5:6) It is only when one demonstrates God’s thoughts in speaking and conduct, when one shares God’s thoughts with others, when one shares light with them that one can bring them out of darkness to light.—1 Pet. 2:9; Phil. 2:15, 16.

10 But, some may ask, did not Jesus associate with despised sinners and tax collectors? Yes, but he did not do so to share in their thoughts and have fellowship with them in their conversation and conduct. He was there as Jehovah’s chief witness to share Jehovah’s thoughts with these persons. So today, Jehovah’s witnesses follow the same example. They do not isolate themselves by self-righteousness, as those mentioned by Isaiah, and say they are holier than others. They visit all kinds of people in their homes and on the streets and talk with them and hear what they are thinking about so that they can help them. But they do not partake of their thinking, nor do they share in their attitude. They have fellowship with light and want to share that light with others.—Luke 7:34; Isa. 65:5; Matt. 5:16.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

Zoos are cruel punishment and a prison to animate. You would not want to go gawk at the animals. Watchtower, 11/15/49, p.349; Awake, 5/8/73, p. 18.

Now I understand why I was never able to properly progress in the troof - I liked going to the zoo, obviously blocking me from the holy spirit

• Hairyhegoat
    Hairyhegoat

Thanx cantleave! do you have memories of these rules back in the day like me ? We are both old gits now and where are big mac's comments on this thread because he is certain to know that the post is a true as he was in longer than me I think.

Take care and say hello to nugget and the kids

HHG

• sleepingbeauty
    sleepingbeauty

Thought I'd have a good look at these references myself.... So I've dug out my copy of the '2003 Edition' of the WT Library Disc (WTs go back to 1950, Awakes 1970, and ALL the other publications ie: Youth book of 1976 are on it). All these references quoted at the beginning of this thread ARE accurate. No surprises there then !

Later editions of the WT library Disc's were edited by the Borg, so didn't contain half as much information as the original printed articles. (Maybe 'DesirousofChange' had access to a Newer Version of a Library Disc, which had been edited, or maybe he just chooses to be ignorant...

The borg needed to distance themselves from older teachings from within their older publications as part of a damage limitation process. Volumes for these Older articles are no longer within Kingdom Hall Librarys either because old teachings are regarded as Apostate Material. God forbid any modern day JW reads them! LOL

Maybe Desirousofchange & a few of the other posters who have negative views of this thread need to surf ebay to purchase older WT volumes and then they will see in BLACK & WHITE exactly what was printed in the original publications!

Shame on you guys for not doing your homework & making this thread out as inaccurate.

• Bella15
    Bella15

You know what? I am supposed to love everybody, including the people in the Watchtower that wrote such stupidity - but sometimes I really wish they won't repent and God will judge them NOT WORTHY of His Kingdom. They have broken or made disfunctional so many families.

Children are supposed to HONOR their parents, it is one of the Ten Commandments ... the WT teach the children to dishonor their disfellowshipped parents with all the do's and don'ts they impose on families with DF'd parents.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit